Template with loads of errors when opened on other PCs

3smees23

Hi,

I have created a template that opens fine on the PC I created it, but when my colleuages open it on there's it comes up with over 500 errors!! and talks about recovery.

Please can someone open the attached and tell me if there is anything I can do to clean it up?

Many thanks

Sam

Template.dwg

Are all the machines running the same version of ACAD?

I think I would try recreating the template from a clean original default template that came with the same version of ACAD you are using.

Are all the machines running the same version of ACAD?

I think I would try recreating the template from a clean original default template that came with the same version of ACAD you are using.

Hiya

No they are using different versions. But surely that shouldnt cause all these errors.

I don't want to have to create it again unless I absolutley have to.

Actually, the different versions can cause issues. Newer file types can't be opend in older versions and older template types can caude errors in the new one. I just had to rebuild all my templates when we moved to 2013...

short of that, I'm not sure what else might be the issue. You could test it on a machine with the same ACAD version as you and see if it works ok...

Ok thanks Cary, what errors appeared when you opened it?

Can someone with CAD LT2009 open this and see if errors appear?

Cheers

Sam

Did you tried to open that trouble-maker template on your colleague's workstation using RECOVER command to see if can be fixed? After that just re-save it and check if the errors are still there.

And a question, what you have defined in that template? Seems to be quite big for a template...

OK I will try that. I had to save it as DWG as the attachement thing on here wont pick up template files.

What do you mean by define?

Thanks

By "define" I mean the things that you added to the said template in order to have them available in each new drawing. If you created a block library inside, then those can increase the size of the file, for example.

I opened it with MEP 2008 only problem I had was a missing font so I assume you didnt use standard fonts ?

silly question but wouldnt saving the template back to 2004/6 for exsample correct any problems ?

• 4 weeks later...
I didn't think you could save template files back to previous versions?

I believe that you are correct about that. :|

Hi,

I have created a template that opens fine on the PC I created it, but when my colleuages open it on there's it comes up with over 500 errors!! and talks about recovery.

Please can someone open the attached and tell me if there is anything I can do to clean it up?

Many thanks

Sam

I opened it with AutoCad LT 2009. I also got the missing font thing. No biggie, but there are a bunch of custom objects created by another application in the template someplace. My error message box wants me to go download Object enablers, but I didn't cuz I don't need the template. I just let it draw proxy frames around these missing objects.

I think your 500 errors come from the differing versions of AutoCad and the custom objects. In combination I can see the huge error count occurring.

Considering the number of layers and blocks the drawing is carrying, nearly half a meg isn't all that huge.

I opened the block editor to scurry around. It appears there are a couple dozen blocks consisting of only two lines, making a crosshair-like thingy. These are only a few of the blocks that appear unneeded. There's loads of 'em that could be in a block library as well, instead of a template.