Title block text

tails

Why create a block in the drawing, and then save the drawing, just save it, one step and done? Many beginners end up using the same name for the block and the drawing name making the file unusable.

I just noticed the OP has the objects in PS, they will have to move everything to ModelSpace, then save the drawing.

Not if he uses Design Center.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jack_O'neill

• Grant

• SLW210

• rkent

Top Posters In This Topic

However the right click layout select from template will still

work.

Yes, that is a very good point, using this method does bring PS information in that does not come in with insert. And even though the default of .dwt is shown in the dialog when you use that ...from template, you can change it to .dwg and navigate to any drawing to effectively insert PS objects from another drawing. Nice.

Not if he uses Design Center.

I have pulling my hair out tring to get my guy's to use design center.:cry: They insist on using the insert command and then exploding once to be able to use the dynamic features of blocks ( This drives me crazy).

I have pulling my hair out tring to get my guy's to use design center.:cry: They insist on using the insert command and then exploding once to be able to use the dynamic features of blocks ( This drives me crazy).

So why not simply provide your guys a Tool Palette instead?

They don't have to use Design Center, yet you can incorporate the 'controls' (layers, colors, etc.) that a Tool Palette provides... potentially a win-win.

Just my two cents. :)

I see that Design Center works to insert PS objects, looks like Autodesk needs to update their help file, I know I have updated mine.

I use DC all the time but had not tried to bring content from PS of a drawing, mostly because I xref my titleblocks in to my drawings.

Thanks for the updates.

They don't have to use Design Center, yet you can incorporate the 'controls' (layers, colors, etc.) that a Tool Palette provides... potentially a win-win.

Yes, I am in the process of creating Tool Palettes as we speak, I hope that this will go over with them. I had one guy quit when they hired me as CAD manager because he could not change the way he had always done things (or I should say would not change) I had worked in this office for 5 years when the company decided to have standards set last year and put me in charge. It has really been a uphill battle.

It has really been a uphill battle.

Just this Soldier's opinion - Most thing in life (that are worth while), are. :wink: :airborne:

Cheers! :beer:

Yes, I am in the process of creating Tool Palettes as we speak, I hope that this will go over with them. I had one guy quit when they hired me as CAD manager because he could not change the way he had always done things (or I should say would not change) I had worked in this office for 5 years when the company decided to have standards set last year and put me in charge. It has really been a uphill battle.

You will fight this war on 2 fronts my friend. "That's the way we've always done it" and "I don't have time". These two are close relatives too.

You'll never fight a more implacable enemy than complacency. People know what they know, they are good at what they do and how they do it and don't want to learn another way. As long as the deadlines get met, the boss keeps signing the checks, don't make waves. Keep the blinders on and go through the motions.

There is so much pressure in most workplaces these days that most people don't think they have time to learn anything else. "I know how to get this done, I'm under the gun to get it, and can't afford any delays or distractions". "It might mess something up and I'd get in trouble." "The new way is slower than my old way" and so on.

Another factor you will fight is that when it boils right down to it, most people who make thier livings using computers are scared to death of them. They think that one wrong click or button press and it's all screwed up, so they learn a "path through the maze" and stick with it. Even IT professionals, when you venture into cad programs, and especially the scary world of programming languages like lisp, don't know it, don't understand it, and don't want to. My last employer before I went out on my own had a guy like that. He fussed about running out of storage space, so one day I offered to help him out with it. I had a lisp that would open, zoom extents, purge and save every drawing in a directory. I showed him how it worked, and I though he was going to blow a gasket. This "rogue" program would corrupt every file on the server according to him and he ran off to my boss's boss and spun some tale about how the drafting department was running amok and trying to take over IT. Long story short, I got my butt chewed for making my suggestion (a mistake I never made again, I might add) and was told to draw, and let IT worry about that stuff. So I did, never looked right or left again after that. Did my thing, took my money and ran.

Yes I had a similar experience a long time ago but I kept writing lisp routines and after a while they would see me using the routine and see how much time it saved and suddenly I had them wanting the routine. Now I have huge amounts of routines that people can use if they want and others who are stuck in the mud. The thing to remember is do the macros for yourself to make your job easier and if somebody else wants them then they can have them but then the rules are already set because the macro is done and you are the only one who has the knowledge to be able to change them.

Yes I had a similar experience a long time ago but I kept writing lisp routines and after a while they would see me using the routine and see how much time it saved and suddenly I had them wanting the routine. Now I have huge amounts of routines that people can use if they want and others who are stuck in the mud. The thing to remember is do the macros for yourself to make your job easier and if somebody else wants them then they can have them but then the rules are already set because the macro is done and you are the only one who has the knowledge to be able to change them.

As far as anything that would help the people I worked with everyday, sure, I'd do anything I could, as did they. I related that story as an example of what eyde will have to wrestle with as he tries to get people to change how they do things. The people that are willing to try will benefit just as you describe. He mentioned having someone quit over the changes he was trying to make and it was the fear of changing that caused it.

Thanks for all the replies I'll start with the first bit of advice and work my way through the various methods! Your help and time is much appreciated :)

That would be nice if you had control of IT changing drive names, updating drives, networks etc. I like tool palettes as well, I will get mine all set up eventually, just waiting for IT to upgrade my computer, but if they do not do that here in a week or so, I will go ahead and start doing some more customization on tool palettes anyway and hope everything stays.

I xref my titleblocks in to my drawings

I really do not like xreffed Titleblocks, you can feel free to come help me with 1000+ drawings on the network that have lost the Titleblock.:?

I realize this is common practice for some, but they need to make it common practice to bind the titleblock at some point, or at least learn how to keep the xrefs, images etc. with the file.

as for your attributes, make sure your prompts are correct

the date, scale, drg no. & drn by all prompt "Drawing no."

change each prompt to its own

I really do not like xreffed Titleblocks, you can feel free to come help me with 1000+ drawings on the network that have lost the Titleblock.:?

I realize this is common practice for some, but they need to make it common practice to bind the titleblock at some point, or at least learn how to keep the xrefs, images etc. with the file.

Everything we do with AutoCAD has to be managed or it gets out of hand, xrefs are not exception. I have been here over 10 years and haven't had any trouble with xref titleblocks. I am the only draftsman/designer here so it makes it easy.8)

As far as anything that would help the people I worked with everyday' date=' sure, I'd do anything I could, as did they. I related that story as an example of what eyde will have to wrestle with as he tries to get people to change how they do things. The people that are willing to try will benefit just as you describe. He mentioned having someone quit over the changes he was trying to make and it was the fear of changing that caused it.[/quote']

First I am female LOL been using AutoCAD for 23 years(was the only female in the drafting and design program at my university). I work for a very large company with plants all over the US and international. There is a team of us 9 total and we each have our own regions that we support. We meet several times a year and hash out what changes or improvements we will be doing. Corporate has given us the ability to do what we want with the standards, which we at least don't have to fight that. We want to have all of our plants on the same standards so all of our drawings look and act the same no matter where it comes from. So either you do what you are asked to do or there is the door. I only lost the one guy so far.

First I am female LOL been using AutoCAD for 23 years(was the only female in the drafting and design program at my university). I work for a very large company with plants all over the US and international. There is a team of us 9 total and we each have our own regions that we support. We meet several times a year and hash out what changes or improvements we will be doing. Corporate has given us the ability to do what we want with the standards, which we at least don't have to fight that. We want to have all of our plants on the same standards so all of our drawings look and act the same no matter where it comes from. So either you do what you are asked to do or there is the door. I only lost the one guy so far.

Oops...sorry ma'am:oops:. Hard to tell in text.

Sounds like you have a good chance to make some positive changes. Support from the corporate level is crucial. The company I was working for also was an international company, but the people at the corporate level actually making the decisions for the "engineering services" department as we were called had no clue what they were making decisions about. Most of them were accountants and business managers who looked at expense reports to make decisions that were based solely on what it cost *today* with no thought for tomorrow. That company seldom promoted anyone from the department they actually worked in to running that department. The person running the accounting department had a degree in creative arts, and had never been an accountant. My boss had been a production supervisor and project estimator, but had no understanding of what it took to produce a set of shop drawings. To top it all off, the plant manager was a former loan officer for a failed bank. He got the job supposedly because he had an MBA. It later came to light that he was the CEO's nephew. I left there 2 years ago, and none of the people I've complained about are still in those positions. Some of the changes were for the better, some not. Corporate tends to let the individual facilities hash that stuff out for themselves, until a big feud comes along between one or more and then they will interfere just enough to really screw things up.

Everything we do with AutoCAD has to be managed or it gets out of hand, xrefs are not exception. I have been here over 10 years and haven't had any trouble with xref titleblocks. I am the only draftsman/designer here so it makes it easy.8)

I am only Design Draftsman here also. Doesn't help me with all the files with detached images and xrefs I have inherited. I just started here a few months ago and there has been no one managing contractors for 4 years or more. The fact is, it is less likely for things to not get out hand for future uses if xrefs are bound and Titleblocks inserted as blocks or bound as well as any images before drawing are sent out.

If it works for you, that is great I actually prefer Xrefs myself and use them, I wish there was a way to insure that all the files stayed with the drawing, but the reality is my work is so broad based and so many people touch the files with no knowledge of xrefs and how to send them, I have found that Binding and inserting as a block to be more efficient and less of a hair pulling event.

First I am female LOL ...

Oops...sorry ma'am:oops:. Hard to tell in text.

Perhaps an appropriate avatar pic would help others to distinguish... I don't remember if one must have 50 post minimum for that capability' date=' or not ([i']it was a while ago, for me[/i]). :unsure:

That would be nice if you had control of IT changing drive names, updating drives, networks etc. I like tool palettes as well, I will get mine all set up eventually, just waiting for IT to upgrade my computer, but if they do not do that here in a week or so, I will go ahead and start doing some more customization on tool palettes anyway and hope everything stays.

I don't recall the method used, but I remember producing a new Drainage Tool Palette for our former CAD Manager (locally on my office's server) a year or two ago, then provided him the blocks, .ATC, .BMP, and .XPG files and he was able to re-path the tool palette accordingly to the Enterprise paths.

I'll see if I can dig it up....

I don't recall the method used, but I remember producing a new Drainage Tool Palette for our former CAD Manager (locally on my office's server) a year or two ago, then provided him the blocks, .ATC, .BMP, and .XPG files and he was able to re-path the tool palette accordingly to the Enterprise paths.

I'll see if I can dig it up....

It is easy to repath using RefManager, but it is still a pain. If relative path or no path is used it is not much problem to relocate folders on the network, but AutoCAD has Full Path set as the default, so guess what is used most of the time.

It is just work fixing everything and that's what I get payed to do. I am pretty much CAD Manager and Design Draftsman so I just want to keep things sorted. Biggest problem has been outside contractors not sending attachments, some of the drawings are from awhile back, I just hope the companies are around to get the files from.