Double Trouble! (Help on Double Doors Drawing)

Numerics

This looks like a serious case of overthinking.. at least with regards to the door.

The door drawing reference talks about using RECTANG and ARC commands, and the exercise states you're making a symbol.. not an actual piece of construction.

As a symbol, the exercise's figure that's shown is roughly where you want to end up. You should be doing these exercises based on your level of expertise, not ours..

Your biggest threat according to the exercise descriptor, appears to be the fact that you need to determine the drawing limits, and layers to be used.. not that you need to determine the offset radius of specific hinge-types and door thicknesses/types/etc..

Your course training is designed to make you an AutoCAD draftsman, not an engineer, architect, or designer.. You merely need to know how to recreate the items in the exercise, using the methods you've gone over in the unit.

There's mention of setting snaps and grid.. I'm sure Spangler and anyone here can show you how you don't need them, but it's one of the core elements of the exercise to actually use them, and I suspect the instructor will be looking at the settings for those items.

Note: Spangler's wrong, unless your class has been setting limits at negative values, rather than 0,0.. I'm telling you.., use what you know, not what we know, or you'll end-up in-trouble in that class.

He's right for the question, but not for the application as a classroom exercise regarding limits and suychlike.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Numerics

• TimSpangler

• ReMark

• Rebel

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This looks like a serious case of overthinking.. at least with regards to the door.

The door drawing reference talks about using RECTANG and ARC commands, and the exercise states you're making a symbol.. not an actual piece of construction.

As a symbol, the exercise's figure that's shown is roughly where you want to end up. You should be doing these exercises based on your level of expertise, not ours..

Your biggest threat according to the exercise descriptor, appears to be the fact that you need to determine the drawing limits, and layers to be used.. not that you need to determine the offset radius of specific hinge-types and door thicknesses/types/etc..

Your course training is designed to make you an AutoCAD draftsman, not an engineer, architect, or designer.. You merely need to know how to recreate the items in the exercise, using the methods you've gone over in the unit.

There's mention of setting snaps and grid.. I'm sure Spangler and anyone here can show you how you don't need them, but it's one of the core elements of the exercise to actually use them, and I suspect the instructor will be looking at the settings for those items.

Note: Spangler's wrong, unless your class has been setting limits at negative values, rather than 0,0.. I'm telling you.., use what you know, not what we know, or you'll end-up in-trouble in that class.

ya, i feel totally lost without snap/grid at my current skill level, and right now,

and i.. well wait

um, TIM!, sorry, but 0,0 - do you mean that i put the circle directly on the UCS? (ie where 0,0 is located?)

oh my god, i feel like:

hurrdur.png

right now.

He's right for the question, but not for the application as a classroom exercise regarding limits and suychlike.

I agree that there is a bit of over thinking here. Thats why I am trying to break into smaller bits. Doing it one step at a time.

As far as 0,0 goes. The rocker exercise mentioned nothing about limits, only the door. When we / I started it was important to get the limits and scale set first and rectangle the limits to create the border. This gave you a starting point. (The days before Paper Space) In todays drafting everything typically begins on 0,0 then the "limits" are handle through the View port which will begin at 0,0 and end at the page limits, then scaled accordingly.

Again, we are not sure of your experience level, so some of what is explained comes from years of experience. I am trying to stay within the requirements as far as layers, commands etc.

well i am not that savvy yet, i started my class about 3 weeks ago lol :|

there are some things that we use frequently in class, one is grid/snap, and limits, but it says that i need to determine what the limits are in this exercise.

ya, i feel totally lost without snap/grid at my current skill level, and right now,

and i.. well wait

um, TIM!, sorry, but 0,0 - do you mean that i put the circle directly on the UCS? (ie where 0,0 is located?)

oh my god, i feel like:

hurrdur.png

right now.

As Mike said, we aren't real sure of your level. So seeing as how I maybe leading you down the road of confusion, just leave the geometry where it is and forget about 0,0 for now (but yes that is what I mean). Once your experience increases you'll see that if you start at 0,0 then adding geometry will be easier. You can add based ion its location relative to 0,0

As Mike said, we aren't real sure of your level. So seeing as how I maybe leading you down the road of confusion, just leave the geometry where it is and forget about 0,0 for now (but yes that is what I mean). Once your experience increases you'll see that if you start at 0,0 then adding geometry will be easier. You can add based ion its location relative to 0,0

ok, i am really sorry i didn't state that before, which is probably why i am freaking out and panicking right now, i felt like i forgot everything i learned, but i am coming to the realization that, you three are just way ahead of me regarding comprehension of this.

I am still eyeballing things and centering my drawings by counting :P

I DO need help with the layers, identifying what parts of the mechanism belongs to which layer, and how to measure the varying arcs on the lower part of rocker... and yes the construction lines, because this will be the first time i'm actually going to draw them.

you three are just way ahead of me regarding comprehension of this.

No we just got a 20 year head start on you.....you better catch up :shock:

As far as layers and what goes where. Dimension will go on the DIMS layer and everything else will go on the OBJ layer. The construction geometry (anything used to aid in the creation of the part) will go on the CONST layer. So the circle and polygon will be on the obj layer.

Have you dimensioned you drawing yet? ( i didn't think to ask that)

One thing to remember about these exercises is that they are to help you get familiar with the commands and what they can do. Read the commands in full and check all of the options.

No we just got a 20 year head start on you.....you better catch up :shock:

As far as layers and what goes where. Dimension will go on the DIMS layer and everything else will go on the OBJ layer. The construction geometry (anything used to aid in the creation of the part) will go on the CONST layer. So the circle and polygon will be on the obj layer.

Have you dimensioned you drawing yet? ( i didn't think to ask that)

One thing to remember about these exercises is that they are to help you get familiar with the commands and what they can do. Read the commands in full and check all of the options.

elaborate on dimensioned please :sweat:

no, i've not - i don't even think we've gotten to that part of autocad yet ^.^

OK lets get this Rocker completed. You have the center circle and the six sided polygon?

ok, done, but it seems like my polygon is smaller than it should be, i entered the first circle to be 3.000, and the polygon to be 2.000, is that correct?

It should have been a 6 sided, circumscribed polygon with a radius of 1. This is where you need to read the command options. Is you command line active?

Enter number of sides :6

Specify center of polygon or [Edge]:

Enter an option [inscribed in circle/Circumscribed about circle] : c

Specify radius of circle: 1

To get more information about the polygon command and its options, the help file explains it really well. This goes for all of the available commands.

Great!

Now lets work on the right side, since it is the easiest and it is "inline" with the rest of the part.

Using the circle command we need to get the center of the circle on the right side, using construction geometry.

Great!

Now lets work on the right side, since it is the easiest and it is "inline" with the rest of the part.

Using the circle command we need to get the center of the circle on the right side, using construction geometry.

ohh! now i see why that extra circle is put there ^.^

and what do i need to do regarding construction geometry