Making External Refences Part Of the Drawing

Skip

Hi,

I've made some new floor plans with lots of external refences on separate layers, when I send these drawing to the customer they can't see the objects of the layers because they are not part of the drawing and the drawing is just showing the link from my server.

Is there anyway to compile the whole thing together?

Also any way of changing a layer name?

Thanks in advance

Chris

Also any way of changing a layer name?

Type RENAME in at the command line and use the dialogue box that pops up to rename layers, blocks, views etc.

When sending files, you need to use the ETRANSMIT command. Check your Autocad Help files for information.

Here's a good link also: http://www.ellenfinkelstein.com/AutoCAD_tips_etransmit_drawing.html

While this is a good tool, be mindful that you are sending EVERYTHING that is contained in your drawing (images, xrefs, details, pen settings plotting parameters etc.) You might want to examine the .ZIP file prior to sending work out to ensure you are not trasmitting anything confidential before hand (stamps, signatures that are images in your dwg).

Yes, I am perfectly aware of what Etransmit does. But that's the whole purposes of the tool. To automatically gather up all the necessary files for transmittal. Why would you want to remove anything from the zip that would cause the drawings to not display properly on the other end? If you're worried about giving away something confidential, then send pdf's. And if you really do want to remove something from the zip, it's much easier to create the transmittal and then remove the files you don't want to send, than to go hunting for all of the individual files manually.

You can also bind the xrefs.

If you go into your xref manager, right click on the xref name, it will have the option to bind. This converts the xref to a block within your drawing.

Cad64 - My intent was not to sound condesending. I was just pointing out that one could accidently send something (stamp, signature etc.) if they don't examine the tranmital file before sending and to be aware. You are right that one could check and delete content from the finished transmital. And also you could send a .pdf if you do not wish to have information tampered with.