veiwport frame

rookie37

I think he means the hiding the Line of the Viewport. im also curiuos if there is a variable for this coz i only toggle to switch the frame off via turning VP layer off.

You can right click and choose whether or not to display the objects in the viewport (or in the properties).

You can click the the little printer symbol in layer manager next to the layer your viewport is on, to not print the the items on that layer.

Is eithet of these what you mean?

Wannabe is right.

Simply make a layer (called Viewport, VPORT, whatever you want) and scroll to the right in the layer manager, and click on the little printer symbol in there, which will make it have a red slash through it. This then means that anything on that layer will not be printed.

After doing so, click on all viewports so they are all selected, and then put them on the layer you just created. They will still appear in paper space, but they will not plot. What the viewport is showing will still plot, just the frame will disappear.

Hope this helps!

If not, please clarify what you mean by "I understand layers and the drawing I'm working on is not done that way"

He might mean to to make them invisible but with their objects visible when editing the drawing.

We all await his answer.............

Go to Format - > Layer and select the layer your viewport is on. Then click on the sun so it turns to a snow flake. This will freeze the layer and make the viewport lines disappear.

Hope that helps.

Dawn

I agree that you can create a layer named "vport" (or whatever you would like) and tick the printer icon in the layer properties so it shows up while you are working but does not print.

The way that I do it (which I got from my CAD teacher, and who knows where she got it, or if it is even "correct" in CAD practice, somebody correct my post if it is so I don't corrupt anybody!:oops:) is to put my viewports on layer "defpoints" If you create a layer called "defpoints" CAD automatically knows not to print it. So your viewport boxes will show up in paperspace but not print. (It is also handy if you need to leave a note to yourself, such as floor level, on a plan in model space that you don't want to print when you get to paper space!)

Sorry to stray... but does anybody know what "defpoints" actually does? I read the help file... which was absolutely no help!

I agree that you can create a layer named "vport" (or whatever you would like) and tick the printer icon in the layer properties so it shows up while you are working but does not print.

The way that I do it (which I got from my CAD teacher, and who knows where she got it, or if it is even "correct" in CAD practice, somebody correct my post if it is so I don't corrupt anybody!:oops:) is to put my viewports on layer "defpoints" If you create a layer called "defpoints" CAD automatically knows not to print it. So your viewport boxes will show up in paperspace but not print. (It is also handy if you need to leave a note to yourself, such as floor level, on a plan in model space that you don't want to print when you get to paper space!)

Sorry to stray... but does anybody know what "defpoints" actually does? I read the help file... which was absolutely no help!

Defpoints is a layer that is created automatically by AutoCAD when you create a dimension. I could be wrong but I think it stands for 'definition points' as in definition points for your dimensions.

It's an interesting one to put the viewport on that layer. Never heard of that before, or of anyone actually going out of their way to create a layer called 'defpoints' for that mattter, but I suppose it would work the way you have described alright.

By the way, you can't delete the layer defpoints. Funnily enough, you can rename it, but the next time you create a dimension, the layer is re-created.

I've worked for major engineering firms and small companies on projects ranging across the globe (as most of us probably have) and the convention for viewport layering is they have their own, unless there is a specific reason otherwise.

Maybe the defpoints layer was used when viewports were a new concept.

Sorry. my mistake it isnt a vieport problem at all.

I know turning on and off vieports can be done with layers. I do this often.

It's a different problem.

The raster image that was imported (im doing maping) has the frame turned off. How do I turn it back on?

All layers are on and none are frozen

I briefly saw this done before on another drawing but I can't remember how. It

Sorry. my mistake it isnt a vieport problem at all.

I know turning on and off vieports can be done with layers. I do this often.

It's a different problem.

The raster image that was imported (im doing maping) has the frame turned off. How do I turn it back on?

All layers are on and none are frozen

I briefly saw this done before on another drawing but I can't remember how. It

Command is IMAGEFRAME

Set to 1 is on

Set to 2 is on but doesn't plot

By the way, I seemed to have sparked a debate whether the viewport should be on defpoints or have it's own layer.

I put it on defpoints

Layers are very usefull however they get used too much. things often get their own layers for no reason.

It irks me when I have to scroll through 4 pages of layers finding 1/3 of them are absurd to have their own.

I'll give you an exaggerated example

Instead of creating a layer called ground, they have many layers called;

dirt

twigs

granite

bassault

mulch

litter

Instead of creating a layer called ground, they have many layers called;

dirt

twigs

granite

bassault

mulch

litter

LMAO! :D :D :D

I really hope you are joking on that. :lol:

It is an Exaggeration but not by much. Layers are often used as a way to write notes on what an object is and are never intended to be used to turn off but leave the adjacent ones on

an example would be (not exaggerated this time) is a survey drawing

layer;

cyclone fence

barbwire fence

gate

fence post

sign post

and all the same color

I get many survey drawings like this

This is the primary reason for ending up with 4 pages of layers even after everything is purged

You didn't stray and no need for apology. actually I quite liked your post. Not that you're having trouble but I don't feel so alone when I complain that the help files don't explain things well.