Which is better MEP or CAD-duct/mep

Nick-H-

We are looking into getting either cad duct/mep or autocad mep

which is the best? and easisest to use.

i need a low down as i can explain to my boss

Two totally different solutions here. They both can give you the same results, with the exception that CAD-Duct will be able to go right from the design file into manufacturing. This is known as "design to fabrication".

Both utilize 3D. Both have a catalog of parts. Both run "on top" of AutoCAD as the core. But unless your company manufacture your own duct in-house, and unless all other trades give you a complete 3D file for real world interference coordination, CAD-Duct is not worth the costs or the time for creating a set of mechanical construction documents.

Cheers mate, we are seriously looking into getting one of the 2 think its going to be Acad MEP, will help alot as we do alot of hotels and will help visulize things better I think.

we are getting someone in 2 do a demo and cost for program on 2 machines and training of six guys

are MV part avalible from manufactures? as we use quite a number

are MV part avalible from manufactures? as we use quite a number

Not really..... there are some out but you'll be creating your own catalog 99.9% of the time.

Not really..... there are some out but you'll be creating your own catalog 99.9% of the time.

do you have any drawings you have done with lots of vent and heating pipework etc.. that you could send me so i could have a look at it and show some of the people here what we could be achiving

I have a trial version of MEP on my machine so i could look at it

If you know how to create basic to intermediate 3D solids in AutoCAD then you'll be fine. All you need to do usually is create something that "represent" the equipment for space planning and coordination. You can always replace an MvPart with a 2D block in plan view for detailed construction documents.

I have a pretty extensive library but I highly doubt that you would be able to use them being in the UK, and depending on what field you're in. :wink:

I might add that we use autocad MEP in our company and are quite successful with it. We also use a add-in from East Coast CAD that adds an extensive library of piping parts and duct fittings. Additionally it adds the ability to create spool drawings for piping and pick-off drawings for duct. Additionally you can download the information to a CAM machine for fabrication. With the add-in cost and the cost of MEP, it was still less than the cost for what you would pay for cad-duct.

Also, when you create your mv equipment in Autocad MEP, you can create a 2d block and attach it to your part in the catalog and that is what will be displayed when in plan view. MEP is very robust and is continually improving every year.

Additionally, East Coast CAD is currently adding into their software the ability to take a REVIT MEP model and convert it to Autocad MEP and put in your fabrication parts and then export it back into Revit. This is still in beta phase but holds alot of promise.