How TO REDUCE CAD FILE SIZE?

nisman

Hi all,

I was drawing isometric dwgs and the file keep pn getting bigger and eventually it became 78,000KB for an iso. Is there a way to reduce the size beside exporting dxf file. Normally an iso should be average a few hundred KB only. Hope someone can help. Thanks

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• Coosbaylumber

• rkmcswain

• m0rph3us_ve

Also look for excessive named layer filters and regapps. These things can bloat a drawing quickly.

Use the FILTERS command (if 2006 or later) to get rid of named layer filters.

And use the command line version of purge (-PURGE) to purge regapps.

If you have trouble purging some of your layers try looking under EXPRESS, then LAYERS and finally, LAYER DELETE. Works great on those stubborn layers that just refuse to go away.

If you have trouble purging some of your layers try looking under EXPRESS, then LAYERS and finally, LAYER DELETE. Works great on those stubborn layers that just refuse to go away.

This sound like just what I'd like, but can't see it in 2007. I'd swap the F1 button for a JFD (Just F***ing Do It!) button any day.

Boro Nut

I use 2006, but I think the express tools were incorporated into 2007. The express tool's name in 2006 is "Laydel". Try that at the command line.

You could also to wblock everything, i.e.select "all"; that usually reduces the file size.

• 1 year later...

Well...

I had tried attaching into new files and then bind, insert, explode, purge and save it..... Course... the information must be in the "model space". This works prefectly

I had noted..... In some cases

, when I do "copy and paste clip", the dwg files are corrupted.

I'm so sorry... my english is not pretty good :(

Boro Nut: Layer Delete used to be listed under Express Tools but was moved in 2007. My apologies. Look under Format > Layer Tools > Layer Delete.

m0rphman: The type of problem you're talking about has been discussed here before. Try a serach on the phrase "copy and paste". You should find an answer within a previous thread or two.

• 2 months later...

Belated thanks for that. Laydel is the kiddy. No ifs or buts, just do as you're bloody well told and obliterate the ******.

I only wished I'd tried it out in AutoCAD first, and not internet banking.

Boro Nut

• 5 months later...

You can also try -scalelistedit and reset the scalelist. I've had problems with that on some of my files. Also, you should do the same to all of the files you XREF as well.

I think we should rename this the "Beat a dead horse thread" given the amount of activity it has recently generated. Or maybe the "Phoenix Rises" thread.

I think we should rename this the "Beat a dead horse thread" given the amount of activity it has recently generated. Or maybe the "Phoenix Rises" thread.

:lol::lol: Better to beat a dead horse than to reinvent the wheel, no?