AutoCAD Drawing Area - what color do you use?

CADTutor

What color is your AutoCAD drawing area?  

238 members have voted

1. 1. What color is your AutoCAD drawing area?

• Black (the original)
    • White (a common choice)
    • Cream (the default up to 2010)
    • Dark Blue-Grey (the current default)
    • Any other color... (tell us which color you use)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

no one uses cream???

I use cream because I think white is too white and black is weird. I learned AutoCAD 2007 using black background, When I got AutoCAD 2010 I switched to white, figured its a more natural color and we,, the paper's white, it should be an more accurate representation of what the print will look like. However I found the pure-white background caused lots of eyestrain. It's too bright. I thought the cream color was great, but it turned out too yellow. I fine-tuned it and now it's like paper but there is a barely noticeable shade of color. It's very pleasant to use, especially when I'm drafting for several hours without break.

I have used an assortment of colours in different jobs depending on what colours they have predetermined for elements of their drawings - which has meant I was drawing railway bridges and their defects on a greyish lilac background (sorry, can't recall the code) at one point. My boss used to check every single drawing that came in from us CAD monkeys, and had been struggling for years to see some of the text on her black screen - she was rather pleased when I changed hers to lilac too

There's nothing wrong with drawing with buttons if your job is mainly editing, and you not only construct your own toolbar(s) and turn your buttons into macros, but park them in the middle of your drawing so you're only a wrist flick away from a command rather than running your whole arm round your desk all day

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I use black for Model and white/grey for Paper space, however I have seen it both spaces flip-flopped for the other and grey on both spaces on another's workstation.

Black for model space and white for paperspace. I found the default colour for model space hard to work with.

• 3 months later...

After reading this thread I'm considering changing my model space background to an off-white color - I have always used black - except when there's been loads of navy blue lines/objects - that drives me nuts because blue on black is so hard to see properly!

I have some experiece in webpage deisgn and I know that websites built using black text on a pale background are easier on the eyes to read. I know that whenever I have visited sites that use a black background with white text, my eyes get tired quickly and I am less likely to stay on the page, it's too jarring. I know that drafting and reading websites isn't the same thing! I just changed my background to a sort of off white/grey/purple color and i'm going to give it a go for a bit.

I wish our field engineers, new to autocad and using it on tablets, would have been informed to use black as that is what most of the design engineers use. Come to find out, they put some of their markups in black, which none of us could see. Glad someone caught it!

I wish our field engineers, new to autocad and using it on tablets, would have been informed to use black as that is what most of the design engineers use. Come to find out, they put some of their markups in black, which none of us could see. Glad someone caught it!

Background of white should use color 7 which is black on all backgrounds except black background, where it is white.

For the most part I use black on both. One exception was when I was working for a large scale neighborhood developer; the same model home numbers where used all over the place and changed slightly by quarter with which they would issue the "mini plan sets" on different colors of paper by quarter blue, green, red, and gray so I would change the paper space to accommodate that. Really hard on the eyes having a red background but you should probably do what the boss wants haha!

I would like to thank you for the efforts that you have made in writing this article. This is exactly what I need, Thanks a lot.