• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• Mir Ali

• eldon

• neophoible

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Let me guess. You are seeing a number (after scaling) that looks something like 9.49E+13. Is that right?

What is the overall height of your leaf?

What is the width of the leaf at it's widest point?

Express both dimensions in rounded off feet.

I'm guessing you are going to come up with some rather large dimensions.

Let me guess. You are seeing a number (after scaling) that looks something like 9.49E+13. Is that right?

What is the overall height of your leaf?

What is the width of the leaf at it's widest point?

Express both dimensions in rounded off feet.

Yes, after scaling i get this 96915372780417.42 sq. ft.

Prior to scaling the height is around 12' and widest width is around 5'.

Well I was really looking for the dimensions of the object after you scaled it up but never mind.

My leaf is approximately 6580' wide by 14,372' high and contains an area of 65,350,193.8842 square feet. That's pretty close to what you are looking for.

Well I was really looking for the dimensions of the object after you scaled it up but never mind.

My leaf is approximately 6580' wide by 14,372' high and contains an area of 65,350,193.8842 square feet. That's pretty close to what you are looking for.

After scaling the dimension are approximately as height = 18039832' and width= 797771'. Can i change these dimensions to the ones you have mentioned to get my desired area?

No you can't. You will either have to start over using your original leaf or I could attach a copy of mine to a subsequent post.

I'll be away from my desk for the next 15 minutes or so. Time now 11:35 a.m. on the east coast of the U.S. Where are you located?

No you can't. You will either have to start over using your original leaf or I could attach a copy of mine to a subsequent post.

I'll be away from my desk for the next 15 minutes or so. Time now 11:35 a.m. on the east coast of the U.S. Where are you located?

I am located in middle east and time now is 08:47 PM. It's fine and thank you so much i'll definitely let you know of the progress tomorrow most probably.

So you'll attempt to do it yourself is what you are saying right?

No i am definitely going to need your assistance and and going to spend more time on the scale command trying to figure what's wrong with it.

I've traced with the image and it has an area of 45 sq.ft. Lets i want to take it to 1500 acres (65,340,000sq.ft), so i tried this 45x= 65,340,000sq.ft gives me 1452000 and i tried scaling to this number but no use. I maybe able to get to the desired area but i want to learn how the scaling works in AutoCAD.

I am working on 1 to 1 annotative scale. Thanks !

Try this exercise: Draw a circle and change its Area to 1.0000. Now copy the circle several times. SCALE the 2nd with a factor of 2, the 3rd with a factor of 3, the 4th with a factor of 4. Now check the Area of each circle. Notice how much bigger the Area is than you predicted using your method?

SCALE works in all directions or in all three coordinate dimensions. So, your method works as is for lengths of lines; but you need the square root of your factor to achieve your desired effective area. If this were for a 3D situation/object, you would need the cube root.

Edited by neophoible
added explanation

Try this exercise: Draw a circle and change its Area to 1.0000. Now copy the circle several times. SCALE the 2nd with a factor of 2, the 3rd with a factor of 3, the 4th with a factor of 4. Now check the Area of each circle. Notice how much bigger the Area is than you predicted using your method?

SCALE works in all directions or in all three coordinate dimensions. So, your method works as is for lengths of lines; but you need the square root of your factor to achieve your desired effective area. If this were for a 3D situation/object, you would need the cube root.

Mir: Have you successfully rescaled your leaf yet?

I just traced the leaf all over again. Now it has an area of 74 sq.ft and when i scale it with a value 2 it get the area to 297 sq.ft( four times the original area). Scaling with a value of 4 is giving an area of 1190 sq ft, is multiplying 16 times the original value. i can't comprehend the mathematics involved here.

AreaMadness.jpg

Maybe a graphic will help.

Start with a 2x2 square with an area of 4.

Scale it by 2X and we have a 4x4 square with an area of 16.

Scale that by 2X and we have a 8x8 square with an area of 64.

Scale that by 2X and we end up with a 16x16 square having an area of 256.

While the length of the sides double the area increases by a factor of 4.

I actually missed the square part in neophoible's post, and it finally worked. 74x= 65340000,and the square root of 882972 gave me 939 and scaling to 939 get me the exact desired area. Thank you so much your help guys.

@ReMark I am from Pakistan. I am surely going to need some help when i get this thing to be plotted on paper, should i make another thread for that or this one is fine?

I am glad to hear you got it all figured out based upon neophoible's advice.

Re: plotting. Maybe you should continue posting to this thread.

Ideally at some point you will want to switch to a paper space layout and set up your title block and border. Your next step would be to create a viewport. This viewport is merely a window that allows one to see the objects they have created back in model space. It is the viewport a scale is assigned to. I hope you had a chance to read the little write up I did on viewports that I previously provided you a link to. Do you have any idea what size paper you will be plotting to? Obviously the larger the size the more detail one can see.

I am not quite sure about the scale and hence the paper size that i would be plotting on. You are right about the details and i am gonna have to talk with my teacher regarding the scale.

The paper size will determine the scale. Keep in mind your drawing of a small town layout is big in comparison to say a drawing of a iPhone. The two plotted on a A4 sheet would have significantly different scales.

I actually missed the square part in neophoible's post, and it finally worked. 74x= 65340000,and the square root of 882972 gave me 939 and scaling to 939 get me the exact desired area. Thank you so much your help guys.
You are certainly welcome. Glad you figured it out. ReMark made it much easier for you by doing the experiment for you!;)