AutoCAD 32-bit on Windows 7 RC 64-bit?

Jaelin

Okay guys, got a few questions here. I've searched the forums and found partial answers to some of this but not fully what I'm looking for so please forgive me if this has been asked before.

Situation: I'm working with AutoCAD Civil 3D Land Desktop Companion 2009. At work: Windows XP 32-bit At home: Windows 7 RC 64-bit. My DVD's state that they will work with Vista/XP 64-bit in 32-bit compatibility mode only.

Questions:

#1) Does anybody have any experience with AutoCAD 2009 on Windows 7 RC?? Will it work??

#2) If it will work, then will my 32-bit work effectively on the 64-bit Windows 7??

#3) This may be a stupid question here but I am not up on the differences between 32-bit and 64-bit. Is there any compatibility problems with bringing .dwg files back and forth between 32-bit and 64-bit operating systems??

That's it for now. Any insight into this would be appreciated. Thanks.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• Jaelin

• designerstuart

• CADMASTER1128

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Questions:

#1) Does anybody have any experience with AutoCAD 2009 on Windows 7 RC?? Will it work??

Thanks.

- I dont see a reason why not. I have been using AutoCAD ADT 2004 on windows 7 Beta (Build 7000)

I dont have the answer for the other 2. Sorry :(

#2) If it will work, then will my 32-bit work effectively on the 64-bit Windows 7??

I dont think it will, but the dvd comes with both th 64 and the 34 bit versions, if you have the cd and not the dvd you should contact your local reseller to get the 64 bit cd

- I dont see a reason why not. I have been using AutoCAD ADT 2004 on windows 7 Beta (Build 7000)

I dont have the answer for the other 2. Sorry :(

No problem, thanks for the reply to that one. That helps.

I dont think it will, but the dvd comes with both th 64 and the 34 bit versions, if you have the cd and not the dvd you should contact your local reseller to get the 64 bit cd

I have the DVD for both 2009 & 2010 and neither one of them includes the 64-bit version. All the DVD's say on them is . . .

Windows Vista (64-bit) and Windows XP (64-bit) are supported in 32-bit compatibility mode only.

I'm going to try the installation tonight to see what happens. Worst case scenario the program sticks its tongue out at me and says you can't do this. I'm not sure where to set it up in 32-bit compatibility mode but will find that. Thanks for the help guys, any other ideas would be appreciated. I'll update with results of the installation attempt in the morning.

Would they just give out a 64-Bit CD?

#3) This may be a stupid question here but I am not up on the differences between 32-bit and 64-bit. Is there any compatibility problems with bringing .dwg files back and forth between 32-bit and 64-bit operating systems??

No problems. I'm on a 64 bit machine at work, but the rest of the office is on 32 bit. They have no problem opening and working with my drawings and I have no problem with theirs.

F.Y.I. - Microsoft recommended specs for systems running Windows 7.

1 GHz coprocessor (32-bit & 64-bit systems)

1 GB RAM (32-bit); 2GB (64-bit)

16GB free space (32-bit); 20GB free space (64-bit)

Support for DirectX 9 and a graphics card with a minimum of 128MB vidRAM

Would they just give out a 64-Bit CD?

Hmmm, good question. Especially since we're on subcription here, they might send the 64-bit version since we already have the 32-bit. That's a viable option to look into. Anybody know for sure on this??

No problems. I'm on a 64 bit machine at work, but the rest of the office is on 32 bit. They have no problem opening and working with my drawings and I have no problem with theirs.

Cool. Thanks for the info.

BTW, installation didn't happen last night though I did learn a valuable lesson and that is . . . if you want to install ACAD on a computer at home typically it helps to remember to take the DVD's home with you. :P Anyways, now I'm feeling like the NASA Endeavor Space Shuttle launch . . . we will try again this afternoon. :)

If you’re on subscription you would be able to simply log into the autodesk subscription center, and download all the software you’re entitled to.

We’re on subscription as well, and the very same day that 2010 came out, I was able to download all install files. I downloaded 64-bit for my laptop at home, 32-bit for our work computers.

While 32 & 64 bit versions should be included on the DVD’s, for the downloaded files you have to choose if you want to download the 32 or 64 bit version. All software we have on subscription has that option (Inventor suite, Acad Mechanical, Acad Electrical). I’m sure Civil 3D will have that option as well.

If you’re on subscription you would be able to simply log into the autodesk subscription center, and download all the software you’re entitled to.

We’re on subscription as well, and the very same day that 2010 came out, I was able to download all install files. I downloaded 64-bit for my laptop at home, 32-bit for our work computers.

While 32 & 64 bit versions should be included on the DVD’s, for the downloaded files you have to choose if you want to download the 32 or 64 bit version. All software we have on subscription has that option (Inventor suite, Acad Mechanical, Acad Electrical). I’m sure Civil 3D will have that option as well.

Hmm, that's interesting didn't know you could do that. However, I log into th subscription center and all the options I get is to download the 32-bit. No 64-bit downloads are available. I wonder if the subscription is actually tied to 32-bit or 64-bit or both depending on which service your subscribed to??

Either way, I installed AutoCAD night before last and worked some more with it last night. Everything seems to be working fine with no problems other than it won't insert Mr. Sid files correctly from Map which is does here at work. It's telling me that there are problems with the coordinate correlation so that's something I'll have to figure out but something that I can live with for now. Thanks for all the information and help guys. Will update if anything goes awry with it.

When I ordered the trial DVD of ACAD-A 09, Autodesk sent me both (32 and 64 Bit). I only use the 32, but if you need 64 I can mail it. I live in Tampa Florida.

When I ordered the trial DVD of ACAD-A 09, Autodesk sent me both (32 and 64 Bit). I only use the 32, but if you need 64 I can mail it. I live in Tampa Florida.

I assume by ACAD-A you mean Architecture. I use Civil 3D Land Desktop (at least in 2009 i d0, now I gotta move to plain Civil 3D when I move to 2010) so it wouldn't help me though I appreciate the offer. Though now that I think about it, if it's only the trial and you don't need/want it, I wouldn't mind looking at Architecture . . . let me know.

On another note, I'm not too far from you, I work in Bartow, but live over in the Riverview/Brandon area. So 30 minutes tops probably.

Well, if your Brandon it not to far from me. I live up 75 in New Tampa. And ACAD-A (64 Bit) is all yours!

Well, if your Brandon it not to far from me. I live up 75 in New Tampa. And ACAD-A (64 Bit) is all yours!

Kewl, thanks. I'll PM you to work out the details.

From my experiences most 32bit applications will install on a 64bit machine, but it'll just run as 32bit. :)

**EDIT** I forgot to add that its weird because Autodesk doesn't let you do that.

From my experiences most 32bit applications will install on a 64bit machine, but it'll just run as 32bit. :)

**EDIT** I forgot to add that its weird because Autodesk doesn't let you do that.

Well, that's the strange thing, I keep hearing that Autodesk doesn't allow me to do that but for some reason it's working for me. I am new to dealing with 64-bit when I downloaded the beta of Windows 7 64-bit. Then I upgraded to the Windows 7 64-bit RC {Release Candidate}. But I loaded AutoCAD Civil 3D Land Desktop Companion 2009 32-bit and it seems to work fine. :?: I have only had about 20 minutes of use time on it to test it but everything seems to be going good. So I'm kinda confused :? about what's going on. Am I going to run into problems later or should it even have installed the program?? Not really sure right now. We'll see what happens as I do some drafting on it over the weekend. I'll update if things are not working but for now it seems like everythings kewl with it.

And, you know, I honestly don't care if it upgrades the performance to 64-bit. If it keeps the performance at 32-bit thats acceptable to me as long as I'm able to use the program at home to cut down on the amount of commute time to work when I have to work overtime. With a 40-mile trek to work each way it would be nice to be able to work from home but I don't want to downgrade my OS to 32-bit unless I have to.

We'll see what happens.

I found this informative for those of us not hardware saavy.

http://www.lockergnome.com/windows/2009/01/07/32-bit-vs-64-bit-windows/

Good article there. Fills in a few of the gaps of what I thought about 64-bit.

Just as an update. I ran the AutoCAd 32-bit over my 64-bit computer and O/S over the the weekend and I did not run into any problems. Looks like its working fine.

Good article there. Fills in a few of the gaps of what I thought about 64-bit.

Just as an update. I ran the AutoCAd 32-bit over my 64-bit computer and O/S over the the weekend and I did not run into any problems. Looks like its working fine.

Hows the new AutoCAD working out?