What is this "Frozen" bit?

Vagulus

I am sorry, but I cannot see any answers that are useful to me. One of the things they hammered into me at university is that you cannot provide a comprehensible explanation of jargon using the same jargon. That is what is happening here. I assume that you know what they are talking about. That is a massive advantage over someone who has no idea what they are talking about.:shock:

Take, for example the use of the terms VP, xref, and VISRETAIN. You've lost me in three quick moves. (I did enter VISRETAIN at the command line and it shows a value of 1.)

I note that the first post at that link includes the line, "If my understanding of this feature is correct, it has never worked as advertised."

I hope that is not the epitaph for the button. :unsure:

VP stands for ViewPort. This is used when you want to generate a view of what you have drawn/modelled in the Model tab. (Also known as Model space) A ViewPort is only used in the Layout(s) tab(s). Command - Mview

An XREF is used when, for example, you have survey data drawn in another CAD file that's drawn to real world coordinates and you wish to bring it into your drawing and overlay your work on top of it. Command - Xref --> Right click in the new tab that's opened up and select one of the options that's relevant. Then, Find the file and select OK --> You'll get a screen previewing the XREF with a few options on it enabling basic enter data (In my case I seldom scale an XREF or edit the coordinates where it's being inserted - May or may not apply to you depending upon your work) --> OK. If you don't see what you have added, type in ZE and hit Enter (The big button on your keyboard that has a little bit that sticks out to the left at the top!) or double click the middle mouse button. If it zooms out really far and you can't see what you've drawn or what you've inserted, then look carefully on your screen for two pixels!

Sorry if this sounds patronising, but I'm aiming to be as clear as possible. :)

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nestly

• Vagulus

• f700es

• JD Mather

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's always advisable to learn and use the "jargon". One way to learn it is to use the F1 key (i.e. - Help) as it is right there at your fingertips. Seek and ye shall find.

An XREF is used when, for example, you have survey data drawn in another CAD file that's drawn to real world coordinates and you wish to bring it into your drawing and overlay your work on top of it. Command - Xref --> Right click in the new tab that's opened up and select one of the options that's relevant. Then, Find the file and select OK --> You'll get a screen previewing the XREF with a few options on it enabling basic enter data (In my case I seldom scale an XREF or edit the coordinates where it's being inserted - May or may not apply to you depending upon your work) -->

...but I'm aiming to be as clear as possible. :)

That is a lot of words to say xref = external reference

This is easy if you push the frozen button your ass will instantly be frozen to your chair until the job has reached an acceptable level of completion for that day or has been completed to its fullest. In the early days of autocad managers pleaded with Autodesk to come up with some way of keeping drafters in front of their workstations. They were constantly getting up to go to the bathroom, get coffee or go outside to smoke. You can't change the setting since it's a system level command and global as well.