Turn Snap Mode Off Globaly (Snap not Osnap)

Larry711

We recently had a draftsman that drew with snap on (he no longer works here), and now all the drawings he worked on have this setting turned on. I thought it would be as simple as opening up the drawings and either hitting F9 or clicking on the toggle to turn off snap. That doesn't seem to be the case. Snap mode seems to be tied to individual sheets, and every viewport. I have multiple sheets in a drawing and each sheet has multiple viewports. The last thing I want to do is open every drawing, click in every viewport on every sheet to turn off snap.

I have snapmode set to 0, but it will only turn it of in whatever sheet or viewport is active.

Anybody know if this can be done with a simple system setting, or am I going to have write a lisp routine that will go through every viewport on every sheet to set snapmode to 0?

Thanks

Larry

What's the problem with snap? I use it constantly, maybe unfit for your office, but what drives me nuts is people here draw with ortho instead of polar; it's so 1999.

I'm sure snap has its uses and is beneficial for some users. I just hate trying to select something, that is not at a grid point, when snap is on. This guy was very very very slow at drafting. We had new hires come in with little drafting knowledge that could draw circles around this guy, and he had many years of experience in drafting. I always hated going over to his computer to help him out with problems he was having. First thing I would tell him "Turn snap off".

I have to agree with you on the ortho instead of polar. I've been drafting for about 10 years now and have only used ortho about 5 times. It has its uses, but I prefer polar. The only ones I use all the time are Polar Tracking, Object Snap, and Object Snap Tracking.

What's the problem with snap? I use it constantly, maybe unfit for your office, but what drives me nuts is people here draw with ortho instead of polar; it's so 1999.

Could I ask what you find so much better about polar over ortho? I draw a lot of different things over the course of a year and most are 0 or 90 degrees. Why it bothers people what tools are used to get the job done is what bothers me. End of the day it comes down to meeting deadlines and having an accurate representation of the project. Bosses care about that and not what tool was used to get there.

I find Ortho better for my use and jump over to polar on those rare occasions when I have something at a set angle. Usually I will quickly rotate the UCS with a two key command and still draw with ortho on.

I don't like telling people what tools to use to get the drawing done either, but this guy was so inefficient with the tools he was using. He was constantly struggling to to draw anything, and he was using the same tools he had been using for years. At some point you need to start using different tools to become more efficient, if you can't master the tools you are currently using. Like you said all that the bosses care about is getting the drawings done before the deadline.

We constantly are going and getting previous jobs and modifying them for a new job. If I don't go and get snap turned off in all of his drawings, soon I will have an archive of drawings that have snap turned on. On the surface this isn't a big deal, but I don't want the other draftsman, or myself scratching there heads trying to figure out why our cursors are jumping around all crazy and we can't select anything. Then realizing all we have to do is hit F9 to get things back to the way we are used to drawing.

I'm sure snap has its uses and is beneficial for some users. I just hate trying to select something, that is not at a grid point, when snap is on. This guy was very very very slow at drafting. We had new hires come in with little drafting knowledge that could draw circles around this guy, and he had many years of experience in drafting. I always hated going over to his computer to help him out with problems he was having. First thing I would tell him "Turn snap off".

I have to agree with you on the ortho instead of polar. I've been drafting for about 10 years now and have only used ortho about 5 times. It has its uses, but I prefer polar. The only ones I use all the time are Polar Tracking, Object Snap, and Object Snap Tracking.

Oops, read that wrong. I was thinking of Object Snap, and yeah Snap sucks.

Could I ask what you find so much better about polar over ortho?

Uhmm Polar does exactly the same thing as ortho - and more. Why use less functionality when you can use more?

Back to the OP's question - I don't recongize the behavior you describe - can you attach a sample file (you can delete most work from the file as long as it still exhibits the behavior).

What's the problem with snap? .

Turned it off back in '87 of the last century. Guess it might have some use for someone. Maybe circuit boards .1 or such on center grid for all components.

Uhmm Polar does exactly the same thing as ortho - and more. Why use less functionality when you can use more?

Uhmm to you, There are things Ortho does that Polar can't do, so I use both tools for the maximum amount of functionality.

Edited by rkent

Turned it off back in '87 of the last century. Guess it might have some use for someone. Maybe circuit boards .1 or such on center grid for all components.

I think your experience in the industry is limited and you are very Machine Tool Drawing centric. There are more uses for snap than circuit boards.

Back to the OP's question - I don't recongize the behavior you describe - can you attach a sample file (you can delete most work from the file as long as it still exhibits the behavior).

snap.dwg

Attached is a blank file with 2 layout tabs, each layout has one view port.

Model Space; Snap is turned off

Layout 1; Snap is turned off when you are in paper space

Snap is turned on when you go into the view port

Layout 2; Snap is turned on when you are in paper space.

Snap is turned off when you go into the view port.

I am beginning to think that there is no system variable or something that I can change to turn it off all together. I think my only options are going to be; change the snap setting to a really small number in the acaddoc.lsp (thanks rkent), or write a progam that will go into the drawing and set snapmode to 0 in every layout and viewport.