Penn Foster Basketball court project

cosme017

For the assembly drawing....how do I show a view or what view do I show so I can show the assembly drawing?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• cosme017

• JB23JB

• neophoible

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Isn't an assembly drawing basically an exploded view? Since you are not using Inventor you'll have to "fake it".

Isn't an assembly drawing basically an exploded view? Since you are not using Inventor you'll have to "fake it".
I'm unfamiliar with this assignment, but, in general, an assembly drawing does not have to be anything more than all of the parts shown assembled together. An exploded view would be a very specialized view showing how the parts would go together, but not actually assembled. I mention this because an exploded view sounds a lot more complicated to me than a mere assembly drawing.

By now I would think you would have drawn all the original parts and could easily bring them together to create the assembly drawing.

So i should draw each individual part? Ex. Rim, backboard, base, etc
Again, I'm unfamiliar with the project, so your question is a little confusing from my perspective, that is, I also would have thought you'd already drawn everything, if you are at the point to make an assembly drawing. But, in any case, for an assembly, you just take whatever components you've drawn, they could be subassemblies rather than individual parts, and put them all together for a complete assembly. Of course, this means you need everything there. If there's something you didn't draw, you will need to add it. Did you draw this in 3D? Or are you just drawing with lines, etc, in orthographic projection?

Again, I'm unfamiliar with the project, so your question is a little confusing from my perspective, that is, I also would have thought you'd already drawn everything, if you are at the point to make an assembly drawing. But, in any case, for an assembly, you just take whatever components you've drawn, they could be subassemblies rather than individual parts, and put them all together for a complete assembly. Of course, this means you need everything there. If there's something you didn't draw, you will need to add it. Did you draw this in 3D? Or are you just drawing with lines, etc, in orthographic projection?

I am drawing the orthographic projection. (3 views) And no I am not finished drawing the three views. I'm a beginner so give me a break. Everyone is always questioning my progress. I can't be on autocad 24/7. Not that I got that out of the way, I am going to post the project picture up, and I hope I can get an idea on how to draw an assembly drawing. There seems to be too many parts to draw out.

I am drawing the orthographic projection. (3 views) And no I am not finished drawing the three views. I'm a beginner so give me a break. Everyone is always questioning my progress. I can't be on autocad 24/7. Not that I got that out of the way, I am going to post the project picture up, and I hope I can get an idea on how to draw an assembly drawing. There seems to be too many parts to draw out.
Thanks for the update. I don't think we're expecting 24/7, we were just unaware of your progress because you asked a question well ahead of when you needed to work on it. Actually, it's good to look ahead, we just didn't know that's what you were doing. I have no idea how many parts there are, but I would hope that you will be able to do some copying, mirroring, etc, to cut down on that. Good luck!:)

The project is a toy basketball hoop with a device for launching an appropriately sized ball. It consists of a base, "catapult" arm, a pole, backboard, and rim. The student was provided with rough approximations of the three standard views. Parts of the toy are held together with small screws. I think the most difficult parts for the student would be the screws. I would guess that a student that has gone through all the standard Penn-Foster projects, many of which have been discussed in this forum, could knock out the three views in three hours or less if they did not take an extended vacation of AutoCAD after finishing the first set of projects. Individual, fully dimensioned, part drawings would of course require more time to complete. That goes for an isometric, if required, as well. That's why at the very start I suggested doing this all in 3D and extracting the necessary views from the 3D model.

The project is a toy basketball hoop with a device for launching an appropriately sized ball. It consists of a base, "catapult" arm, a pole, backboard, and rim. The student was provided with rough approximations of the three standard views. Parts of the toy are held together with small screws. I think the most difficult parts for the student would be the screws. I would guess that a student that has gone through all the standard Penn-Foster projects, many of which have been discussed in this forum, could knock out the three views in three hours or less if they did not take an extended vacation of AutoCAD after finishing the first set of projects. Individual, fully dimensioned, part drawings would of course require more time to complete. That goes for an isometric, if required, as well. That's why at the very start I suggested doing this all in 3D and extracting the necessary views from the 3D model.
Thanks for the info. If 3D is required, I would definitely think that it would be better to do that first, then get the 2D from it. But given the isometric, it might be easier 3D even if not required. When he posts, I'll have a better idea of what he is actually doing. Good thing he's got your help. These guys don't know just how good they've got it. It's funny, but in a very sad way, that P-F passes the student off to getting help on the Internet.

• 2 weeks later...

Most of the geometry for the sectional view can be taken directly from what you are calling your Front view. In my opinion, the view in the lower right hand corner would be the Front view but that means you would have to rotate your Top view.

Using paper space layouts for this drawing? I'd recommend a separate layer for your Viewport(s) set to "no print" in the Layer Properties Manager. Just a suggestion.

1. Ok but I need to draw a sectional view just for the rim and backboard showing the screw attachments. 2. I can change the views, that shouldnt be an issue., and 3. I'm not sure what you are saying about the paper space layout. What would that layer do? So for the rim and backboard, I was going to just show an exploded view of the rim and backboard alone. That's not what I should go for?

Unless otherwise stated a sectional view would be of the whole object (rim, backboard, post, base, etc.).

Were you explicitly told to use a paper space layout and one or more viewports? Yes or No?

An exploded view of just the rim and backboard would not be the same as a sectional view. You do know what a "section" through an object would entail right? Imagine a Twinkie that you cut in half and you look head on at the cut end. You'd see the cake and the filling. That's a section.

• 1 year later...

I'm pretty sure Cosmo17 no longer participates here at CADTutor.

Why do you want to know if I have the drawings? Do you need help with something?