need help...How to create a shift knob???

MikeP

Im trying to create a car shifter knob. its not a uniform shape.

here is what the iso and the side view looks looks like.

I created these shapes by making half of it flat in 2d then revolving it 180°. then i put them back to back. but as you can see them do not mesh correctly. how can I create these shapes so they can mesh nicer. Im trying to learn how to create complex 3d objects, but obviously im not very good at it. Are there any tutorials where I can learn some things.

side.JPG

iso.JPG

Are there any tutorials where I can learn some things.

See tutorials in my signature. Looks like you want to learn Loft.

See tutorials in my signature. Looks like you want to learn Loft.

ive tried the loft, unless I dont understand how it works. It tells me that the surfaces are non planer.

ive tried the loft, unless I dont understand how it works. It tells me that the surfaces are non planer.

You forgot to attach what you have so far. I doubt anyone can give much help without seeing where you are going wrong. Not even a picture of your loft attempt.

Did you actually go through and do those tutorials I suggested?

post a screen shot of the profiles you are using for a loft. Start out by drawing 4 circles. one at 0,0,0, one at 0,0,5 ,one at 0,0,8 and the last at 0,0,9. make the bottom circle diameter 2", the second 4", the third 3" and the fourth 1". Loft, select your circles in order from bottom to top. You should then get a dialog that will let you create a thing surface, solid, let you state how the loft should enter/exit each profile etc. If this works out, play with creating paths and guides.

how can i upload it, even a zip is larger that the max allowed size???

Can't possible be too large. The only thing that is needed is the profile sections you are trying to loft - nothing else.

If it is still too large I would be very interested in seeing a screen capture of that one. My guess is way way too much work. The biggest mistake people make in Loft is too many splines or too many points in splines. Actually makes rougher model rather than smoother.

here it is. you can see i tried to make 2 2d views the side view and the front view. then I rotated one 90° and started making the green splines around it to create the shape. but how do I convert the splines into a solid object?

iso.jpg

forget what you were doing there and start over.

create a loft from the bottom to the top. Follow what i said for a simple loft. Your loft will be driven by cross sections, path and guide curves. I had you drawing circles but any closed profile will work. You need to know how to close a profile using the Region command, or PEDIT.

forget what you were doing there and start over.

create a loft from the bottom to the top. Follow what i said for a simple loft. Your loft will be driven by cross sections, path and guide curves. I had you drawing circles but any closed profile will work. You need to know how to close a profile using the Region command, or PEDIT.

I read the help, and I still dont understand how to use the loft. what objects in this drawing should I be using. the sections that are laying flat or the ones that are perpendicular to eachother that are standing up??

Did you try what i said about drawing 4 circles and the coordinates i gave you and then selecting those circles in order for the loft? There should be nothing else to select. alright here are a bunch of screen shots for you. The first couple have some"guides" drawing but i only used the circles for the loft. The last two pics show the spline guides and the loft using guides. in both cases i performed a fillet on the top edge after the loft was complete. You dont need to if you draw your cross sections and guides how you want.

In this case i only used two guides drawing from the side view but you can have more. You need to make sure your guides hit each profile. The path option is a little different but in this case you can probably drive the entire shape with 3 cross sections and finish it off with fillets.

shifter2.jpg

shifter3.JPG

shifter4.jpg

shifter5.JPG

shifter6.jpg

It really depends on the shape you are going for. I think the best advice is use the least amount of guides/paths/cross sections as you can to achieve the shape. When you are lofting you can play with the options in the dialog box and drive how it enters/exits each curve without using guides.

here is an example for you. my cross sections are circles at the start/end. i loft with setting my starting draft angle to 120degrees(how it leaves the first cross section), then using a draft of 60degrees from the first cross section for the image on the right.

loft3.jpg