AutoCAD 2016 First Customer Ship

CADTutor

Today is the official First Customer Ship day for AutoCAD 2016 and the AutoCAD 2016 vertical products.

I logged into my Autodesk account this morning, and there it was, ready for download!

Take a look at this useful preview guide if you'd like to read about the new features.

I've also added "2016" to your user field options so you can update your forum profile and let others know when you upgrade.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dana W

• nestly

• Organic

• BlackBox

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yup, I got an email this morning telling me the new version was ready for download. It did not say which version, so I assumed it was referring to 2016.

I just went on an interview this morning at a shop that uses 2015. If they hire me, and are planning to update their own shop immediately, I will probably update right away, so we can all suffer together.;) Barring that happening, I will wait to finish a couple of contracts I am currently working on to update the program.

Truthfully, since I started leasing the program, there really is no reason to put off updating to the newest version. It isn't going to cost me any more money.

Truthfully, since I started leasing the program, there really is no reason to put off updating to the newest version. It isn't going to cost me any more money.

IMO, money isn't the primary reason why people delay updating to the most current release. It's a combination of coordination with existing products, and there's typically a lot of bugs discovered after public release that either got missed, or they didn't have time to fix during beta testing. Having said that, AutoCAD 2016 seems pretty solid to me, especially if you're happy with 2015. For me, there's nothing too earth shattering, but some of the improvements and new features could significantly increase productivity depending on workflow.

Just a note to anyone with a Suite, they're typically released at least a few weeks after AutoCAD, so don't look for the new version of those to show up in your Autodesk account just yet. ;P

IMO, money isn't the primary reason why people delay updating to the most current release. It's a combination of coordination with existing products, and there's typically a lot of bugs discovered after public release that either got missed, or they didn't have time to fix during beta testing. Having said that, AutoCAD 2016 seems pretty solid to me, especially if you're happy with 2015. For me, there's nothing too earth shattering, but some of the improvements and new features could significantly increase productivity depending on workflow.

Just a note to anyone with a Suite, they're typically released at least a few weeks after AutoCAD, so don't look for the new version of those to show up in your Autodesk account just yet. ;P

Good point, but my price won't change, at least not for a while. I wonder if I can run both versions side by side, or if the download overwrites the existing one. It never did that before but there may be some differences between subscription and perpetual that I am not aware of, being a noob at it. :lol:When Autodesk promoted me to account administrator, I first thought they may charge me more cuz i iz more impotint now.:lol:

We are waiting for new PC's as our boxes don't support 2015, so we will load them straight away with 2016 that will be around June/July so we will maybe get update 1 to load. And we have CIV3D so it will be close.

there's nothing too earth shattering, but some of the improvements and new features could significantly increase productivity depending on workflow.
Yup, I think the geometric center snap was a loooooong time coming. How many times have we drawn a diagonal or two across a polygon to find its center?

By the way, isn't 2016 a file format change incremental?

Yup, I think the geometric center snap was a loooooong time coming. How many times have we drawn a diagonal or two across a polygon to find its center?

By the way, isn't 2016 a file format change incremental?

Yeah, the Geometric Center Osnap was a highly requested Wishlist item, but it's not something I really have a need for. (It would have been handy for the AutoCAD 1 minute challenge thread a few months ago)

Autodesk broke the cycle of changing AutoCAD file formats every 3 years, the newest DWG format remains 2013. Last time that happened was 2000-2004.

Yeah, the Geometric Center Osnap was a highly requested Wishlist item, but it's not something I really have a need for. (It would have been handy for the AutoCAD 1 minute challenge thread a few months ago)

Autodesk broke the cycle of changing AutoCAD file formats every 3 years, the newest DWG format remains 2013. Last time that happened was 2000-2004.

I have to run beam center lines and things for floors a lot. That center snap will make it go a lot faster. In a residential structure the bearing pockets and columns can be various shapes. Plus, I have to find the center of rectangles all the time in cabinetry. It'll be handy. That'll sure make a bunch of lisp code obsolete.

I had heard they were not changing the file format again, but I wasn't sure.

Here we sit, waiting for SP1. If it can run parallel with 2015 I may download the "Beta" just for fun. However, I am not sure I will be able to do that being on a lease agreement. Both versions will sorta be on the same 1 seat license, I think. I'm going to look into it.

I'm really not that familiar with Desktop licensing yet, but I don't see any reason you shouldn't be able to download 2016 and run it as a trial for 30 days parallel with 2015. I wouldn't consider installing any of the betas, the shipping version has been populating subscription accounts since Thursday, and my understanding is that it will be widely available to everyone on Monday (Mar 23)

I'm really not that familiar with Desktop licensing yet, but I don't see any reason you shouldn't be able to download 2016 and run it as a trial for 30 days parallel with 2015. I wouldn't consider installing any of the betas, the shipping version has been populating subscription accounts since Thursday, and my understanding is that it will be widely available to everyone on Monday (Mar 23)
I was calling the shipping version the "beta" as a joke. In some respects they tend to be a little bit beta at release.

I was calling the shipping version the "beta" as a joke. In some respects they tend to be a little bit beta at release.

Ok, I get it now.

You're right, and I think that's the other reason people don't update right away. Even if you wait until SP2, you'll still be using AutoCAD 20xx before the 20xx calendar year begins....(base on recent history)

It almost seems like these come out earlier and earlier every year.

Maybe just a little bit because March began on the first day of the week, but the 3rd or 4th week in March is "normal". Wiki says it was the 20th this year, but the official released date is the 23rd. Also, now that download is the primary method of delivery, release date can potentially be sooner as they don't have wait for physical media to be created after they settle on a "final" version to release.

Acad release date.jpg

From what I have been reading og AutoCad 2016 it looks like there are qutie a few new handy features.

- Revision cloud tools looks good.

- Box text looks good (similar to Lee Macs routine which I currently use)

- Points cloud features look like a big improvement and will put a dent in some of the add on point cloud software programs for AutoCad

- Dims look improved

- Geometric centre snap looks good, especially for simple shapes such as rectangles and triangles.

- Xref layer overrides is a big improvement

- PDF improvements looks good, not sure why 4 plot setups required for PDFs though - seems overkill out of the box.

- Seems pointless that the password feature for a dwg has been removed - then again I have never known anyone to actually use it

- Systems variable monitor looks handy

Overall it looks a lot better than the new features that were provided in 2015. The big test will be how the new point cloud sectioning tools work in practice and not in the pretty marketing images.

Having participated in several Betas, including this one, it is always interesting to see the comments that follow public announcement\release.

1+ that 2016 is both nothing earth shattering, and performs equally well as 2015; which itself was a substantial improvement over that of 2014 here (using Infrastructure Design Suite).

- Geometric centre snap looks good, especially for simple shapes such as rectangles and triangles.

For many years now, Gile has publicly posted the .NET source code for his CTR (Center) custom OSNAP (among others, such as Quarter, Third, and Fraction [user defined], etc., in addition to his OSNAP Palette App on Exchange), so I personally found this new GCE (geometric center) OSNAP to be sub-par by comparison, as GCE fails to find geometric center for closed polylines with overlapping geometry, whereas CTR successfully accounts for this potentiality.

For these reasons, I shall hence forth affectionately refer to GCE as the "Gilles Chanteau Emulator" - similar, but just not quite as good. :thumbsup:

Cheers

Don't take my comments to heart. :lol: I was mostly just messing around, and feeling cranky. :lol: For 2D drafting from scratch, line by line, AutoCad still eats the other brands for lunch. As a programmer with nearly 24 years experience, I know nothing EVER gets deployed bug free.

No, I meant that I've had many of these same discussions during the actual Beta (not dog piling your apt reference in levity), among others that I still cannot discuss despite my NDA being lifted; just an interesting perspective for one to observe others' conversations about the product being released is all. :beer:

While I too have access to 2016 through my ADN account, at work we use Infrastructure Design Suite, which won't be out for a while longer. I'm probably going to install 2016 on a Client Hyper-V virtual machine so my team can tinker via RDP during lunches, etc. before we get IDSP 2016 deployed... I'm already doing the same for Win10x64 TP, so I'll probably just install 2016 on that same VM.

[Edit] - That is where I tested 2016 anyway, using Win10x64 VM. Haha

Cheers

For 2D drafting from scratch, line by line, AutoCad still eats the other brands for lunch.

I agree and i don't see the purpose of adding new functions in the upgrades if users will never use them, sad to realize that tools and functions are removed to be replaced by others that are useless.

Lt version is an option for 2d but one can always manage to do a bit of 3d with thickness modified.

For lisp one can always opt for a cheaper version and use their lisp and then open it with lt and move on.

If cad would charge the extra dollars to be able to run lisp in LT version i really think it would be worth the extra dollars and increase the market.

But then again question remains is 2d on the edge of being extinct.

I agree and i don't see the purpose of adding new functions in the upgrades if users will never use them, sad to realize that tools and functions are removed to be replaced by others that are useless.

Lt version is an option for 2d but one can always manage to do a bit of 3d with thickness modified.

For lisp one can always opt for a cheaper version and use their lisp and then open it with lt and move on.

If cad would charge the extra dollars to be able to run lisp in LT version i really think it would be worth the extra dollars and increase the market.

Yeah, I meant to add the LT in there, since that is what I use. It's like an F-22 Raptor to Drasftsight's S.P.A.D. S.XIII, which is also appropriately French.

I don't think a lot of people use AutoCad for 3d work though. E.g. civil users use Civil 3D or a separate program for 3d work. I presume mechanical design would be similar, e.g. use a 3D addon (MEP) or a separate program for 3D design.