New User Profile Fields

CADTutor

There has been a lot of talk about operating systems and computer specifications on the forum recently and as these details often relate to the questions being asked, I thought it would be sensible to provide the opportunity for members to add these details to their profile.

So, you'll find 3 new profile fields in your Edit Profile form. They are Operating System, Computer Specification and Monitor. I've added details to my own profile so that you can see the sort of thing you might want to include.

profile.png

These new profile fields are optional, you don't need to fill them in but I think it may provide useful information for those looking for hardware specifications.

I visited a vBulletin forum recently where users had entered the same type of info, and as you hovered over a user name in a thread - this info appeared as a "tooltip" or "bubble" -- pretty neat.

I guess this is some sort of vBulletin add-on.

There are a number of mods that will do that and I think it might be useful here. Can you give me a link to the forum where you saw this?

After investigating the suggetsion made by RK, I have modified the user fields to make it more versatile.

profile2.png

After a bit of work, I should be able to have these details available from each members post.

OK, that forum is actually based on phpBB but I am working on something similar for vB now. I'll let you know when there's something to see.

David, would it be an idea to give some people an idea of where to look on their machine so that they are able to populate these options ?

David, would it be an idea to give some people an idea of where to look on their machine so that they are able to populate these options ?

Wow! Yes, this project grows by the minute. Er, when I've got this thing working I'll get onto that unless someone else...? :)

David, I only see the "Computer Details" link when in the "vBulletin Default" style.

In the 2 "CADTutor" styles, it doesn't show up.

Yes I know! I'm working on it and using that style as a test!!! Soooooon. :D

OK ladies - I'm done.

I couldn't find a suitable off-the-shelf mod for this, so I wrote my own. :geek:

Now, if you add any computer details to your profile, you will see a new link appear in the postbit called "Computer Details". Clicking the link will display a pop-up menu showing just the details you have entered. See example:

profile3.png

As always, comments welcome. :)

BTW: How does AutoCAD run in 32-bit vista with only 4GB ram?

Actually, it's OK but I wouldn't go any lower. I started with 2GB and although AutoCAD was fine, Photoshop was sluggish with big images. Since I upgraded to 4GB, all is well. However, the next time I upgrade my PC, I will go for a 64bit operating system.

As always, comments welcome. :)

Ok, now I want each hardware item to be a hyperlink - pointed to the manufacturers web site for that product -OR- pointed to the lowest price for that product at a major vendor like newegg.com

Just kidding....

How do I find my computer details?

There are various ways to find out about your computer. More advanced users will already know how to get this information, so this note is designed for everyone else and illustrates a quick and easy way to get the information you need.

For Windows Vista

Click the Start button and right-click on "Computer". Select "Properties". You will see a window containing various bits of information, including the Windows edition, Processor, Memory (RAM) and System type. See below:

info.png

Note: Installed memory is incorrectly reported in Vista before SP1.

Now, right-click on your desktop and select "Personalize" from the menu. Then select "Display Settings". The Display Settings window shows details of your monitor and graphics card. See below:

info-2.png

Hard disk information is a little more difficult to find as Windows doesn't hold the model name but you can find the make and capacity. Click the Start button and click on "Computer". Then right-click on "Local Disk (C: )" and select "Properties" from the menu. The General tab will show the capacity (see below) and the Hardware tab shows the make and model number.

info-3.png

Note: The capacity shown for the hard disk is the formatted capacity, this will always be smaller than the actual capacity of the disk. In the example above, a 320 GB disk displays as 298 GB.

For Windows XP

The easiest way to get to the System Properties window is to press the Win key and the Pause/Break key at the same time, "Win+Break" as it's called. You will see a window containing various bits of information, including the Windows edition, Processor, Memory (RAM) and System type. See below:

sysprops.png

Now, right-click on your desktop and select "Properties" from the menu. Then select the "Settings" tab. The Display Properties window shows details of your monitor and graphics card. See below:

pic2.png

To find Hard disk information, open Windows Explorer, find the "C:" drive, right click and choose Properties. The General tab will show the capacity (see below) and the Hardware tab shows the make and model number.

cprops.png

Ok, now I want each hardware item to be a hyperlink - pointed to the manufacturers web site for that product -OR- pointed to the lowest price for that product at a major vendor like newegg.com

Just kidding....

...or how about I write a little app. to analyse your computer spec. and then suggest the most cost effective upgrade to optimise AutoCAD. On the other hand, life's too short. :D

OK, who's doing the Win XP bit?

• 6 months later...