Question from an old dummy

Able339

I do not wish to argue about this either and I am not being obtuse. It is a thing i could do ten, fifteen years ago and I have forgotten how I did it. I cannot find reference to it in aCAD manuals either... As far as I know it could have been version 1.0. There was no version identification. if there was, I never ran across it.

Back in the old R12 DOS days there was an addon that did animation I forget the name of it but one student I was in class with got a copy of it when he brought the Educational version from Journey back in those days.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• Able339

• Murph_map

• Ollie8974

Dig a little deeper and come up with the name.

When I get into work tomorrow I'm going to see if I can find my old DOS r12 floppy disks.

It wasn't part of the AME add-on was it?

Edited by ReMark

I would truely love to send y'all the command - I just cannot remember what it was!!! I'll try saving to a flash drive when I can buy one. I may, also, have been using a confusing description of the process. I meant more than annimated, "articulated". Like taking tow 3 ft. lengths of 2 x 4 and joining them end to end with a hinge. I was able to articulate one of the 2 x 4's to pivot or whatever with the hinge as the pivot point. It was not a slide show. it was a clean, smooth movement. Thank you for bearing with me.

Let's get back to the hatching problem.

Does it occur in just this one particular drawing or in any drawing you work on?

Has the Hatch command ever worked correctly?

Is this a new install of LT 97?

If I created a simple hatched box drawing and attached it to one of my posts could you download the drawing and insert it into your drawing as an exploded block to see what happens?

After many failures, I did draw a bigger rectangle, think ing that what I was trying to hatch was too long and too skinney. The bigger, fatter rectangle wouldn't hatch either. I do not remember the exact verbage, but it had something to do with boundaries... not being able to do boundary hatches or some such. I will go back to the cad, make a rectangle in pieces or as a whole, and try again. I'll write down the reason why it doesn't do it. I am using aCAD Lt 97, by the way.

Sometimes with long skinny objects, such as walls. Divide the objects into shorter segments,

by drawing a line across the object. When the object is hatched erase the the division lines.

Back in the old R12 DOS days there was an addon that did animation I forget the name of it but one student I was in class with got a copy of it when he brought the Educational version from Journey back in those days.

I found four 5-1/4 floppy disks dated 1990 for AME Release 2. The disks also note that they are DOS 386! Unfortunately we no longer have any computers here at work with a 5-1/4 floppy drive and I'm pretty sure I deep sixed the one I had the last time the city had an old electronics collection day. I wonder if the disks are still readable? Now that would be a hoot!

Mark: I have been using aCad Lt 97 for a little while... I just recently reinstalled it as I had a problem with virtual XP and had to have that fixed (reinstalled). I tried, yesterday to install aCAD 14 but the virtual XP (which is supposed to be 32 bit) wouldn't accept is as I got a message that I couldn't install aCAD 14 in a 64 bit system. Odd, as prior to the XP prob that I had to have reinstalled, I had it installed in virtual XP... I have managed to get my drawing to accept a hatch (concrete) by fiddling with the scale factor. I vaguely remembered something about that so I tries several scales and finally hit on one that worked. At one time I checked out the hatch on a larger (1" x 2") rectangle that I drew in an open area on my Workshop plan and the hatch didn't work there either..... Several hours later I tried that again and the hatch DID work!!! More odd.... As it stands now, I have the 38' x 4" slab (sectional view) hatched. No prob there now. I do, however wish I had help re: articulating things. Such as two 2 x 4's hinged together and being able to smoothly articulate one of them... or even a door type drwg that i could open and close - swing thru it's paces... I used to be able to do that but for the life of me, I can't remember how! In an earlier "reply" I described a trim press unloader that i designed back when I still worked for a living. It worked on a shuttle action and I was able to make the tray move in and out of the trim press (as an aCAD drwg) . I repeat, for the life of me, I cannot remember how I did it. THat was on the old full blown aCAD program I had at work. I'm going to hit the manuals again and try to find some reference to how it was or can be done. I hope I can do it with Lt 97. Thank you for your efforts to help an old fart.

Edited by Able339
not in reply form

While the ability to articulate objects may have been available at one time in an old version of full AutoCAD I seriously doubt you will find any such capability in LT 97.

Glad to hear you got your hatch problem solved via the scale of the pattern.

What version of Win7 64-bit are you running? Is it Home Edition?

I have Win7 64-bit Ultimate on my home computer and have AutoCAD 2004 loaded and it works (all except the 16-bit code for Express Tools).

I finally stumbled across that .... It worked!!! Thank you!

Of course you could have had the solution in 10 minutes (or often less) if you had simply attached the dwg here.

Seems the OP is having some difficulty locating his files while using a virtual machine. One would think a folder is a folder is a folder and some sort of search would turn up the file in question. They have to be stored somewhere other than in thin air right?

I am running Windows 7 Pro - any other name attached to it is unknown to me. it is 64 bit and I have virtual XP

within the Win 7 - the XP is supposed to be 32 bit so I can run old stuff... I loaded aCAD LT into the XP but it won't accept aCAD 14 - I have to check with the guy who fixed the XP prob I had to sdee if he can do anything about loading aCAD 14. I would like to have the full blown version along with the Lt at hand. I'm sorry to have been such a pain in the ass re getting help... I do really appreciate the help given. Thanks to all y'all!!!!!

I have been unable to "transfer" a file from Virtual XP to Win 7 Pro.... It may be just me, though.... I tried and tried to attach my drawing to a reply here but I had absolutely no success. I'm going to try burning it to a disk or a flash drive and see if I can transfer it to Win 7 that way....

Attach a flash drive to your computer. Open your drawing in AutoCAD (14?) and do a "save as". When prompted for the location to save TO select the flash drive. Save the file using a different name. Done.

Return to CADTutor and attach the DWG file to your next post.

I see no reason for you to be using AutoCAD r14 when you could be using a free 2D AutoCAD-clone program like Draftsight which would run quite well on your Win7 64-bit computer. I know this to be a fact because I have a similar computer setup and Draftsight runs with no problem. You eliminate the virtual XP problem and at the same time upgrade to a program that has a lot more functionality than what you are using now.

Draftsight is free to download from the website of dassault systemes (makers of the highly respected SolidWorks program) and there is even a free PDF user's manual available as well. It's time to upgrade don't you think?

I found four 5-1/4 floppy disks dated 1990 for AME Release 2. The disks also note that they are DOS 386! Unfortunately we no longer have any computers here at work with a 5-1/4 floppy drive and I'm pretty sure I deep sixed the one I had the last time the city had an old electronics collection day. I wonder if the disks are still readable? Now that would be a hoot!

A 5 1/4 floppy, now you ran the young ones off googling that. I looked around by mini library here at home and even used the wayback machine to see if I could find the ad from Journey Ed for it with no luck. I don't think it was the AME stuff but more of "VIZ" in it's early stages.

I vaguely remember VIZ. Want to refresh my memory?

It's what 3d Max became. I won a copy of it back in the 90's at AU one year and it required the old Dongle in the LPT port. (link for the young ones. :) )