Steal from Drawing

Lee Mac

Generalising on an idea I've had for a while, I offer this program to allow you to import (humourously: 'steal') items from another drawing into the current drawing.

Steal

Upon running the program the user is prompted for a selection of a drawing to steal from, and, upon selection, a dialog appears detailing items available for import. The user may choose multiple items from a list of...

• Blocks
  • Layers
  • Linetypes
  • Dimension Styles
  • Text Styles
  • Table Styles
  • MLeader Styles
  • MLine Styles
  • Layouts
  • Page Setups
  • User Coordinate Systems
  • Views
  • Groups
  • Layer States
  • Scales
  • Materials
  • Viewports
  • Drawing Properties
  • Custom Properties

...should these collections contain any items which aren't already present in the current drawing.

Dialog Preview

StealV1-7.png

A full description of the program and the latest version can be found here.

Enjoy!

Lee

StealV1-8.lsp

Edited by Lee Mac

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lee Mac

• Jack_O'neill

• Tharwat

• Lee Roy

Thanks Lee, especially useful for Mleaders and Mlines since they aren't available through Design Center.

How about Civil 3D styles next?

Thanks Lee, especially useful for Mleaders and Mlines since they aren't available through Design Center.

Thanks Larry - glad you could find it useful :thumbsup:

How about Civil 3D styles next?

Ah.... Haven't had any experience with those... I'm a Vanilla guy :)

How about layouts and page setups' date=' pen widths and colors and all that?[/quote']

Easy on there Jack... I thought I might get a working program first :)

Edited by Lee Mac

Should these collections contain any items which aren't already present in the current drawing

Easy on there Jack... I thought I might get a working program first :)

Ask and ye shall recieve...:D

I have updated the first post to Version 1.1 - this changes the behaviour of the dialog, so that far more can be imported in a single run of the program. I've also added a couple of new collections to the list.

Enjoy!

Lee

Ask and ye shall recieve...:D

I think you misunderstood my post -

Should these collections contain any items which aren't already present in the current drawing.

By this I mean that the collections listed in the first post (blocks/layers/linetypes etc) will only be displayed in the dialog if they contain items which aren't already present in the current drawing.

But yes, I do welcome ideas :)

Where'd you come up with these ideas Lee Mac. :)

The routine is very useful.

Can you include a list of XREF as well. but generate a filter to exclude XREF style/layers/textstyle/blocks and the like.

Thanks Lee :)

Actually I very often need to update some of these "settings" from a template file. Importing them is quite easy with a simple copy-n-paste / drag-n-drop from Design Centre. What I've always had difficulty with is "redefining" something like a dimstyle to match that inside another DWG. In that particular case I "love" BricsCAD's Drawing Explorer.

Lee ,

The program is really great .

I started to get used to it almost daily , I do like it. :)

Is it possible to have a preview as well as the one which is included with the Block Insertion Message Box ?

Thank you.

Tharwat

Where'd you come up with these ideas Lee Mac. :)

:)

The routine is very useful.

Can you include a list of XREF as well. but generate a filter to exclude XREF style/layers/textstyle/blocks and the like.

To be honest, I wanted to steer clear of XRefs at present as I believe they would require a different method to 'import' them else they would arrive in the drawing unreferenced. But your point has reminded me that I currently need to filter out any XRef items from the other collections.

I started to get used to it almost daily , I do like it. :)

Excellent to hear! :)

Is it possible to have a preview as well as the one which is included with the Block Insertion Message Box ?

Not impossible with LISP, but certainly very, very difficult. I have seen it done here, but its a pretty convoluted method.

Lee