Simple question, so apologies if it's too simple!

dueingx4

I have CAD files I want to take home on a thumb drive. When I get home and open up any folder with an xref in it, the xref does not show up. When I try to alter the path, it goes back to looking for the folder where the file is located at my office.

Anybody have thoughts on this one?

Thanks!

You should have used the eTransmit command.

Package and deliver groups of drawings and related and supporting files in electronic transmittal packages. Packages can be created as:

1) a file folder

2) ZIP file

Remark: thanks for the reply so fast! I will execute that command, but curious, can it be for a specific sheet, or does it do the whole directory of drawings?

You could also simply copy the cross referenced file along with the drawing using it, and save them to the same folder on your home computer. AutoCad always looks in the same folder with the drawing first if it does not have a workable path to use.

Dana:

I copied all files, xref's and sheets, onto my desktop at home in a seperate folder. I'm confused on why AutoCAD could not relocate the xref's as I tried to change the path in the xref box... It seemed like it was not willing to have the original path drive altered, it would go right back to the "T" drive that was at work... sounds like etransmit will work properly, but how will it do when I want to take the files back to the office, will that screw anything up?

Thanks!

I am not sure what you are saying. Did AutoCad not find the xref file when you opened the drawing, or are you just trying to update the path in the xref manager dialog?

I recommend saving your autocad files to any other folder rather than the "desktop". All the shortcuts on there can make AutoCad get its knickers in a wad while it is trying to figure out where it is supposed to be looking for stuff.

AutoCad does not automatically update the saved path for the xref file. As long as the program can find the xref when the drawing is opened (ie. both in the same folder) then leave the saved path the way it was so you don't have to change it when you take the drawing back to work.

I don't update my saved path unless I have to. I caught a lot of snot from the Drafting Project manager once when I had to use my daughter's laptop as a backup work machine. Her somewhat off color user name did not sit well with that guy at all when it showed up in the plot stamp. :rofl:

Anyway, to update the saved path, open the xref manager dialog and click on the xref name in the file list, then click on the saved path line in the details area, then either navigate to the xref file location by hitting the browse button at the end of that line, or by manually typing in the path.

Edited by Dana W

I copied all files, xref's and sheets, onto my desktop at home in a seperate folder. I'm confused on why AutoCAD could not relocate the xref's

This is why Etransmit is such a great tool. It not only bundles up your drawing and all associated xrefs and image files, but it also grabs all fonts used in the drawing, plot styles and pretty much everything you need in order for your drawing to work on any computer you put it on. And it's all automatic and takes only a few seconds. You don't have to manually go digging around searching for files or worry that you might accidentally forget something. And when you extract the zip file to a folder, Autocad knows where to look for the files. No need to repath anything.

how will it do when I want to take the files back to the office, will that screw anything up?

This is where you have to be diligent with your file management. If you take files home to work on them, when you bring them back to the office you will need to move the existing, and now obsolete, files to a backup folder and then replace them with the updated files.

Note: If you do need to repath xrefs, you can use the Reference Manager utility found in your Start Menu > All Programs > Autodesk > Autocad "Version Number". It allows you to easily repath all xref files with just a few mouse clicks.

Ref Man.jpg

OK, here is the deal... I brought files home originally just bringing all drawing files and xref files home. Copy them off my thumb drive onto a folder on my desktop. When I load a drawing up with xrefs attached, the xref file do not come up. I get the error message that there are unreconciled layers. I would try to repath the xref to locate the xref I now have on my desktop, and it will not locate the location, it simply goes back to the original path from the office directory.

So today, I used Etransmit and was able to get 1 single sheet transmitted into a zip folder as suggested. Brought the etransmit zip folder home, extracted and saved onto a folder on my desktop, loaded the drawing, and STILL no xref files. Still gives me the error, unreconciled layers, and will not let me repath to find the xref on my desktop.

WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING WRONG?!?!

FIGURED IT OUT! for SOME unGODly reason, i needed to audit the 2 files that were xref'ed into the sheet file. in the original sheet file, it weould let me detach the floor plan xref but NOT the titleblock xref. after dicking around with it for about 1 hour, i ran an audit on the floor plan file, then the titleblock file, then loaded the sheet file that had those files xref'ed into them, AND IT WORKED!!! is something happening with the files at the office that causes the "error" that when i get them home i have to "fix" the errors with running the audit command?

sorry to be a pain in the azz on this, i would have never thought it would be this difficult to just work on a simple file with 2 xref's in it.

thanks again for everybodies help. if you have any idea what the audit errors are, let me know.