Fastener threads...

nscherneck

Here goes....new topic....

Im trying to get the threads on a fastener to show. Is it only possible in the drawing?

Thanks.

Guest Bloodwig80

if you want to show a thread which is physically cut into the part i believe you have to make a helix and do an extrude. its a little tedious but ive done it before. It helps to have a machinist handbook on hand that way you can get the exact measurements for the pitch, etc.

if you want to show a "cosmetic thread" basicall a image is overlayed on the hole surface and it is rippled to simulate threads. If you use the hole wizard then under options you have to check the box that says "with thread callout" and pick the screw image in the middle.

On drawings in plan view you will see the hole and the outer diameter of the thread in a dashed line. hope that helps.

physically cut into the part

And remember this way takes up huge memory so not a good idea if you have lots of threads in an assembly, use Bloodwigs second solution, this way is more common and you can have as many threads as you like:wink:

ill stick with what is standard practice for others. i dont need to see the threads if its not common to do so. thanks guys.

• 4 months later...

nscherneck,

It is true that real threads use a lot of resources of your machine, but real cut threads exposed on a model are infinitely more impressive to a client, or boss than "fake" threads drawn with anular grooves, or the real poor quality cosmetic threads offered by Solidworks Textures. And let's not forget that there will be times when "real" threads will be demanded by either client or boss, so it really is in your best interest to learn how to make them.

Don't be intimidated by threading, it is not that difficult at all. If you feel that you would like to learn the procedure, e-mail me and I will give you a link where you can get an audio/video tutorial that is about 18MGB in size. If you have a broadband connection, it will not take that long to download.

De Angelis

• 1 year later...
nscherneck,

It is true that real threads use a lot of resources of your machine, but real cut threads exposed on a model are infinitely more impressive to a client, or boss than "fake" threads drawn with anular grooves, or the real poor quality cosmetic threads offered by Solidworks Textures. And let's not forget that there will be times when "real" threads will be demanded by either client or boss, so it really is in your best interest to learn how to make them.

Don't be intimidated by threading, it is not that difficult at all. If you feel that you would like to learn the procedure, e-mail me and I will give you a link where you can get an audio/video tutorial that is about 18MGB in size. If you have a broadband connection, it will not take that long to download.

De Angelis

:cry: I just joined this forum so have yet to learn where email contact info is hidden. I'd love to have that tutorial for threads you mention, so if you see this or anyone else, please contact me at bruce AT supertrap DOT com. Or, if someone else can tell me how to fine the email for this individual I'd sure appreciate it. - Regards, Bruce L. Jones

Sweep - not extrude.

Yes, a sweep of some sort is what I expected, although I'm still hoping that something else is just been overlooked in my instruction or references thus far; hence my request for the tutorial in question. At this point, I expect that I'll have to find the correct thread form in some reference like Machinery's Handbook or an actual National Standard like FED-STD-H28 and then draw the profile and then use that outline to make the sweep/cut. Then I am not sure parts can be mated using the actual threads... Talk about tedious and time consuming! But it is something I will do, as it will be something needed at some point in time.

One poster above was right, maybe in the course of the mundane heap of the usual, schematic threads* depicted in the finished drawing may be all that is basically required, but there are times when an actual model of the finished threads may be just what a designer or - heaven forbid - customer may just HAVE TO HAVE. This may be especially true in new product design where every little thing might make a difference; especially with the less common thread forms like square, acme or buttress. Or what about types of interference threads or pipe threads?

It leaves me convinced that CAD programs are made by other than those who actually understand and use the final product they squirt on the screen with every mouse-click; made by those with more computer or drafting background rather than engineering or machining. Anyone who might think it not an essential part of a mechanical package for anything is completely clueless concerning one of the very first articles important in the history of mechanical design, the first being the wheel and the second being the screw!

How wonderful it would be to have an exacting thread form/standard applied to a solid shaft or hole with the precision possible with a CAD program and then be able to see them function as they should to VERIFY it. Otherwise the CAD program itself is USELESS for a prime component of mechanical design and the parts would have to be prototyped to test functionality - just as we have had to do BEFORE the advent of CAD. That is SUPPOSED to be what CAD was for, to reduce or eliminate that necessity. Odd, to say the least.

I'm VERY new to SW and just finished an introductory class in December and have been drawing everything like mad to learn it better. Frankly, I am more than a little surprised at the crudity of this function in SolidWorks. I can make thread depictions far faster and easier on a board with a pencil and old-fashioned thread template. Considering that SW touts itself to be so dedicated to mechanical design they're completely missed the boat on this one. I think I may have assumed that making threads in SW would be some easy menu setup made just for threads, internal and external. I know several people in the class I attended had made just that assumption and were SHOCKED at the absence of a function they said they would need EVERY DAY because designing fasteners and fittings was what they DID!

Well, sorry if it sounded at all pontificating, sorry for the vent ... but I'm just flabbergasted. I would, however, still love to hear from anyone with more information. That way I can assemble a little catalog to use when I need it at least.

Thank you very much for your help! :(

* Schematic Threads were created as a 2D drafting convention to make drawing on paper faster and easier for the hordes of lesser skilled draftsmen in the days when the contract for the TDP for the Arc was awarded.

--

Respectfully,

Bruce L. Jones

bl, i would be careful about putting your phone numbers and email in your sig. you never know who may get a hold of it:)

this is one thing i really like about unigraphics. When you create threads it actually creates threads.

AeroFenderCam6.jpg

Fasteners in Toolbox have the option to show true thread.

Solidworks promotes its programming as being customer driven. If customers asked for a thread command they would have made a thread command. I personally design a million dollars of tooling every year and never model threads unless it’s special… and that’s rare. I imagine most others are the same. When I see a true thread of a common screw on a print… I think it’s a vain attempt to be impressive. Thread engineering was perfected 80 years ago.

screw threads.jpg

i would agree cedar. I will usually throw threads in for renders and things. the drawing i posted actually was 3d printed with the threaded holes.

It is rare, but i like the fact that in UG or SW you can suppress the threads:D

Fasteners in Toolbox have the option to show true thread.

Solidworks promotes its programming as being customer driven. If customers asked for a thread command they would have made a thread command. I personally design a million dollars of tooling every year and never model threads unless it’s special… and that’s rare. I imagine most others are the same. When I see a true thread of a common screw on a print… I think it’s a vain attempt to be impressive. Thread engineering was perfected 80 years ago.

Hmmm ... let me reflect a moment here... it's stated that "If customers asked for a thread command they would have made a thread command", yet, here it is in the fastener toolbox. That seems IT HAS BEEN ASKED FOR ... . I just needed to know where to find it.

BTW, in my over 40 years of experience, I've designed, and headed design efforts, for billions of dollars of some of the worlds most complex and effective weapon systems for DOD; and believe me, sometimes you save time and trouble depicting threads. Not for mundane things like common tooling or standard threaded fasteners, any semi-experienced apprentice could make those without the benefit of even a 2D drawing, a simple schematic sketch would do.

However, being able to make and test out the fit of special items and unusual threads or non-standard thread mates in the 3D CAD environment could be a big time saver. If not needed then there'd be no reason to buy the 3D CAD software in the first place; one could be resigned to use AutoCAD 2D.

Additionally, 2D drawings are for labor to make the products, but the touted purpose of 3D is for enabling the design process - something that is not actually fulfilled unless you can actually model anything and everything in the design; including tolerances, limits and fits. Not to mention that new people must actually learn everything necessary to the profession or be found wanting in knowledge and skill. If one must leave things out then there are holes in the software's capabilities and of those using it; not a desirable lack of features in a product or an employee.

bennachtai/-

BLJ

Having threads is very useful but being able to turn them off, especially with large models is even more useful:)

In ugs, there is a thread button as well as a "toolbox" to load components. The thread button is a really nice feature that i wish SW had in certain instances.

UGScreen.jpg

UGScreen2.JPG

UGScreen3.JPG

Create a parametric thread feature library (how many could anyone need inch, metric, acme, npt).

Place feature from library on part as needed.

Configurations cosmetic and detailed.

Done.