help draft plans for a house

thanks so much, uve been a huge help today. ealry start tomorow then as the deadline is looming.

just a few things, u mentions my units im millimeters, are you sure, as i set them in meters and when i checked they still were in meters. also as you said ive been drawing each wall line seperatly abd then using the offset function to create the wall thickness. so you think its better if i actually do everything in rectangles, each individual wall??

thanks again

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rollie

• MaxwellEdison

• ReMark

• arjun_samar

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

doing individual lines and offsetting them wont give you a 3d solid which is what your looking for. You can do it with polylines also but the wall needs to be one entity when you extrude it. in other words when you click it the entire wall should be selected not just one line of the wall.

Sounds like the OP missed the lecture about what constitutes an object that can be extruded and the various ways to go about obtaining such an object using polylines, or lines then the PEdit command, or the Boundary or Region commands. I suspected he actually had a separate interior and exterior wall with just "space" between the two and not a "solid" wall after rereading through his posts. It's a shame he discovered this fact so far into his drawing. He's got some ground to retrace.

I recommend thinking in terms of converting your floorplan to 3d. Use rectangles for the entire length of a wall and seperate rectangles for doors/windows, this will allow you later to easily extrude everything and subtract out your openings. I'd also take the time to model your doors and windows so that you can easily insert them later. If time is an issue (when isn't it :P) XRef those features in and start with simple 3d blocks. then when its time to add polish you can go into the file to work on each one individually and update the drawing globally. Start with a simple but sound wall layout and layer in the details until you run out of time or patience. Also don't forget the color faces command available under SOLIDEDIT for a quick and easy way to slap on a coat of paint to a room. And check out sites like Cad Block Exchange Network to find furniture or other things you need. Also Kohler and Kraftmaid have some pretty good surface models available through i-drop.

good day sir,:D

so far... im not familliar with xref... and what do you mean by udate the drawing globally?

and if possible are there step by step tutorial ?:)

I think he is referring to swapping out the "simple 3d blocks" with a "finished block" of greater detail.

then putting all the detailed block in the drawing?

For the detailed XRef explaination I'd recommend reading over the Help File first. But as simply as I can put it; an Xref (External Reference) is bringing another drawing in as a block. When you change the source file, every drawing that has it Xref'ed in will update when you open the file or reload the Xref.

As for updating globally, I simply mean you can edit the Xref and update your block drawing and every insatnace will be updated autoatically when you open the file.

And as for tutorials...You're better off asking Google, than asking me. :smirk:

Actually I meant to start with Xref'ed placeholder blocks, and then go back and "prettify" them once the rest of the structure is done. You could accomplish the same thing with blocks, but Xref's will keep your filesize down. If you need to turn in the actual file, you can simply bind all the Xref's as inserted blocks so you don't need to worry about seperate files or pathing problems.

For the detailed XRef explaination I'd recommend reading over the Help File first. But as simply as I can put it; an Xref (External Reference) is bringing another drawing in as a block. When you change the source file, every drawing that has it Xref'ed in will update when you open the file or reload the Xref.

As for updating globally, I simply mean you can edit the Xref and update your block drawing and every insatnace will be updated autoatically when you open the file.

And as for tutorials...You're better off asking Google, than asking me. :smirk:

ok... i'll try to look for more explanitions on xref... thanks a lot...:)