Edit Scale List

Guest Alan Cullen

Guest Alan Cullen

Acad 2008. Does anyone know how to delete scales from the list Tools > Options > User Preferences > Edit Scale List ? I know how to pick them and delete them, but I want them to STAY deleted. :twisted:

With me, they all keep coming back the next day. There are soooo many of them, and we only use 10-15 set scales, so that is all I want showing up in the list. At the moment it takes forever to find the required scale amoung the millions that currently exist in that list. :x

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rkmcswain

• NBC

• riga

• Cad64

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Acad 2008. Does anyone know how to delete scales from the list Tools > Options > User Preferences > Edit Scale List ? I know how to pick them and delete them, but I want them to STAY deleted. :twisted:

With me, they all keep coming back the next day. There are soooo many of them, and we only use 10-15 set scales, so that is all I want showing up in the list. At the moment it takes forever to find the required scale amoung the millions that currently exist in that list. :x

I have found right now a way to do that on my 2007 version:

From Windows start > Run > regedit

search for

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\AutoCAD\R17.0\ACAD-5001:409\Scale List

Preset scales are listed with 3 value, like this example (for 1:40):

7. ScaleName REG-SZ 1:40

7. ScaleNumber REG-SZ 1.0000000

7.ScalePerUnits REG-SZ 40.0000000

Delete all 3 values, close regedit and restart your machine.

Next start of Autocad scale 1:40 is gone :)

Don't know the path for other versions because it will be probably different

Let me know if it helps

Guest Alan Cullen

Thanks Riga, that looks interesting. I'll try it out on my work computer tomorrow. If I have time tonight, I'll also try it here at home. o:)

I had heard that those scales are retained in the drawing, and if they are deleted in the template file, that would help a lot. But I haven't seen that yet. :twisted:

Thanks Riga, that looks interesting. I'll try it out on my work computer tomorrow. If I have time tonight, I'll also try it here at home. o:)

I had heard that those scales are retained in the drawing, and if they are deleted in the template file, that would help a lot. But I haven't seen that yet. :twisted:

That's true. If you edit your scale list it will be saved in the drawing.

However you can always restore the original list:

Options > User Preferences > Edit scales list > Reset

With the procedure I exposed above you are going to modify the scales list that will be restored.

Edit scales list of templates seems a good idea

BTW: as I know that a lot of you have Autocad 2008 I've asked a friends who work with that version and he said to me he can not find the scale list in the regitry :?

Guest Alan Cullen

Yeah, maybe there is a difference here between 2007 and 2008, and the way they handle this issue. I have 2007 at home, and 2008 at work. I remember I never had this problem with 2007 at work. But I do now with 2008. :(

Guest Alan Cullen

Thanks, Cad64,

That just answered what I already suspected. I didn't realise that it was tied to associative scaling in 2008. But there you go. I'll look into that lisp and find out if it helps. In the meantime, many problems, and unwarranted hard work and repetitive resets with the scaling list. You would really think that AutoDesk would have thought this through a bit better. If it aint broke, don't fix it. Buggars.

Anyway, cheers, mate, and thanks for the input. :lol: :D

Guest Alan Cullen

Blue, the whole issue of scale list, is that it is kept per drawing. set it up in one drawing and it remains there. It doesn't work the same way it did in 2007. That is the pain. And it is all because (from what I gather) of annotative scaling. But that does not solve the problem from drawing to drawing. :(

Oh, wow, McS.

What does that code actually do? :D :D

It resets the Scalelist to the default AutoCAD Scalelistedit, complete with imperial scales

Unless you are in a metric drawing...

I am always in a metric environment, but resetting the scalelist always brings in imperial scales. it's a nuance of autodesk

I am always in a metric environment, but resetting the scalelist always brings in imperial scales. it's a nuance of autodesk

That is strange.

If I run the NEW command and choose "No Template - Imperial", I get imperial scales.

If I run the NEW command and choose "No Template - Metric", I get metric scales.

metimp.png

• 2 months later...

the units must be set to mm or m etc to give you metric scales...

i have similar problems with the list where i get 1:10_xref_xref_xref and such and i remember reading on the autodesk forum somewhere that they can't replicate this bug and are asking subscriptioners to submit a report so they can look into it...sounds like the ol' layer filter thingy has morphed!..

the units must be set to mm or m etc to give you metric scales...

i have similar problems with the list where i get 1:10_xref_xref_xref and such and i remember reading on the autodesk forum somewhere that they can't replicate this bug and are asking subscriptioners to submit a report so they can look into it...sounds like the ol' layer filter thingy has morphed!..

Yep, I get those too, sometimes hundreds of them. Real PIA!

It technically was not a bug. It was a bad design feature though.

Prior to SP1 in AutoCAD, scale list entries were copied from each and every xref into the parent drawing.

SP1 limits this to one xref deep.

IF you don't have SP1 installed, get it.

• 1 year later...