Delete layers

Zeek

There are 2 layers on this sample that QuickSelect says have nothing on them... Yet I cannot delete them. I've WBlocked, purged, dlete from Layer Prop Manager... I have hundreds of these I'm working on! Overall a relative newbie in CAD, not really digging LISP right now... so please try to keep solutions fairly straight forward.

Layers are:

FX-SGNSYM

Bick

Thank you

half W32.dwg

Format > Layer Tools > Layer Delete. You can type the names in or select an object on the layer you wish to delete.

When you are finished deleting the two layers run the OVERKILL command followed by AUDIT (say "yes" to fixing any errors). Then Save.

Done.

Ahh Haa! Thanks So much!

For those like US, who are illisperate, there is a wonderful tool available in the right click shortcut menu, called the ACTION RECORDER.

Basically a keystroke recorder which will by emulation write a custom macro to copy what you want it to do, in this case on hundreds of drawings.

The time spent kicking the tires, and taking it around the block would be a very worthwhile investment, as it really speeds up repetitive tasks like these, without the need to write any code. :)

Ooohhh- I'll have to give that a shot. One of the last DWGs started with 244 layers... about 80 are applicable and stay and about 120 have "block references" that are visible nowhere and wont allow purge to wipe them out. LAYDEL 120 times on one DWG gets old fast.

Thanks so much.

• 2 weeks later...

You can use LAYDEL, if there is something attached to the layer it will still delete it. Just type in LAYDEL then N for name. It will give you a dialog of all layers.

You can also use Layer Merge to merge the offending layer onto layer 0.

That does not get rid of the offending blocks. I would use Layer Merge to an unused layer and then LAYDEL that layer.

Yes, RobDraw... that is actually what I've stumbled across and begun doing. After a QS on the layer and getting no selections I attempt to delete the layer. If that fails I merge it to a newly created layer I have named "TO DELETE". When merging it also tells me the name of any blocks or block references affected. Once all is cleaned I can LAYDEL my TO DELETE and ... what was once 250 layers is down to under 100!

Thanks so much for the advice and information everyone-