Civil drafting school project help

Autocadstudent

Dink87522, i attached the project booklet. am on page 13. i was able to do the 2 on the example, but then i don't know if i should use the same 90-foot and 80-foot contour for all the elevations.

thank you all for replaying.

civil d. booklet.pdf

Hey gusy i went ahead and finish the roadways and trees. i just need to do the contour lines. page 8 says 10-foot contour intervals. does it mean from the 90-foot (top left corner)to the right will be 100 and from the 90-foot to the bottom 80-foot. and from the 100 to the bottom 90-foot and so on. do i make any sence?

civil d. roadways.jpg

That PDF help remind me what I did. I used example 2 bottom of page 12. Some of the info from the first example is also used.

As you read through the instructions write out a math equation.

For instance:

93.8 – 88.9 = 4.9 x 10 = 49

50 / 49 = 1.0204082

1.0204082 x 11 = 11.22

11.22 is the distance to the right of the benchmark.

You will have to perform this calculation for each spot elevation. Just use the same formula. Do one row at a time from table 3 page 10. Remember that even though the row in the table is vertical, on the drawing row one is horizontal.

This is what the couture’s should look like.

:cry: is what I remember most while doing this.

Intorp Sample 2.JPG

Intorp Sample.JPG

• Like 1

car5858 i gess am not asking the right question. i got the calculation you posted. the 11 is from 90-footcontour-88.9=1.1 (11).

now that i see the picture, the real question i have is; the 100', 110', 120' east of the 90' on your image, is that because page 8 says 10-foot contour intervals?

i feel am asking dumb questions. sorry.

Hey guys i have been working on this, day and night , because the end is near. Am about to start plate 3 page 21. it says to use vertical scale of 1"=10' and horiz. of 1"=60'. does it mean that for every inch of the drive way am placing it 10' longer? what is the best way to start this driveway profile and section A profile.

Please help thak you.

it says to use vertical scale of 1"=10' and horiz. of 1"=60'. what is the best way to start this driveway profile and section A profile.

Please help thak you.

It means each inch on the drawing will be 60' Horiz. Every inch in elevation will be 10'

Elevation scale.JPG

Car5858, Am looking at the image and still don't get it. i have a hard time starting somenthing but when i get i get it.

if the driveway profile starts at the centerline. can i copy it from my plate 2 and scale to 10' vertical and 60' horizontal? are those red lines the grid lines? i see the 130 going up by ten' and the zero to 60'. are those the grid lines from the first drawing? am sorry for asking this kind of question.

Ask this question first, what is the elevation of the finished driveway. A It will be the same elevation as the POB (point of begining) of the driveway. The green line at the top of the attachment in post #29 is the drivway. Think of a vertical slice right down the middle of the driveways centerline. Add your station locations above the drivway (that is the yellow marks) and fill in the information required.

Remember that you have conture lines placed every 10 feet. This is the vertical scale grid, on the drawing this will be equal to 1 inch. That is why the vertical scale is 1"=10'. The same method is used for the horiz scale, you will be placing a grid line every 60' the actual measurement will be 1" on the drawing. This is a distorted scale and is suposed to mak caulaciting cut anf fill materials easier.

This clear up the question for you?

Simple answers to help conceptually.

The 10' contour line interval represents a 10 foot change in elevation (altitude) as measured from sea level as taken in the field. The plan view horizontal distance between the contour lines on a drawing can be all over the place no matter what the vertical distance is, as you see by your drawing results. If you were to look at the contour lines in an elevation view, they would be straight and perfectly horizontal, spaced 10 feet apart. In some contour maps, the scale is so small that the contour lines can be seen to actually define the shapes of hills and valleys as viewed from high above.

Road and street and driveway profiles are usually drawn in a skewed scale, in your case 1:10 x 1:60, so you can draw 500 feet of road at a large enough scale to see details and as mentioned above to make it simpler to calculate working costs (but I have no idea how throwing more math in there might help any:lol:).

this is what i got so far: every grid line i placed is 1" long (the drawing very small compard to plate 1 and 2).

the green line is the driveway like you said. i got the lenght from plate 2 and divided by 60. am doing it right? i am so ignorant.

\Thank you all

driveway.jpg

so when i draw a 1 inch line it will represent a 10' line right?

Yup, but you can draw it full size and scale it afterwards, even in two directions. Somebody else will have to explain that one to you cuz my software is a bit different than yours, not sure I'd get it right.

car5858 can you post the image of plate 3 and 4 please. so i can see what they look like? am not done yet.

i don't want to copy and paste the image just want to see it please.

Thank you. am sorry for asking again.

Here you go, these are not correct to the letter. I forgot to add slope direction arrows in them:x. I did get a 92%:shock:

civ p4.JPG

Civ P3.JPG

Thank you. i appreciate it. am on amazon site looking for a civil drafting book. did you have to buy books besides the ones from school?

No I didn't, there was enough information in the material supplied by PF to complete the projects. I did do some nagging for clarification on a few thinks. Remember that the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

I was sent a skewed copy for this assignment. Not enough to copy and past or scan. But enough for the general idea of what was required for the project. As for the books you get more help on this site than you would anywhere else. At least some of the members here work in the field.

Yes, this takes me back to the days of survey drafting classes I took in 1977. We had to interpolate contour lines, wasn't easy but also wasn't impossible. But of course I'm as old as Moses' toes and twice as corney...!