Large Autocad file Crashed/ "AutoCad Application is not responding" message

FWIW: if you have a lot of attached JPEG images, that could be what is dragging your file down. Almost all JPEGs from a camera ware way too large to be used in a drawing without some pre-processing. If you have to resize your image to make it cmaller, than it is roo big.

Whenever I have a drawing with lots of images, I make copies of the images, then open them in Microsoft Office 2010 Photo viewer. This program lets you resize the images. Try to resize the image so that it is allready at the correct size when you drop it into the drawing. Note that this process can degrade the quality of the image so your going to have to play with it a bit. generally, though, the difference in image quality is not all that noticible.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• Sengna

• Chilidawg

• edwinprakoso

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In each layout tabs, there are some small images of text about 1/4" text that i copy from excel and paste to layout tab for EQ # and serial numbers, there are not any big images or big pictures. as i mention i stop using the copy and paste from excel now, i start using mtext. It will take me a week to go back and delete those images text.

I would highly recommend that in the future you stop using paste special to copy in snippets of text from Excel. Can't these serial numbers be treated as blocks?

The number of layout tabs should not adversely affect your drawing. AutoCAD can accommodate up to 251 tabs. How many do you normally have in a drawing?

I would highly recommend that in the future you stop using paste special to copy in snippets of text from Excel. Can't these serial numbers be treated as blocks?

The number of layout tabs should not adversely affect your drawing. AutoCAD can accommodate up to 251 tabs. How many do you normally have in a drawing?

Sure i will no longer use copy and paste since it causes the files crash all the time. I can do anything I want as I manage this detail drawing project, but how can I make the serial numbers as a block from excel? Don’t you think if I have like 500 blocks of this text, will it still make the file size bigger?? Please advise, I like to try.

Each site equipment plan view has only about 45 layout tabs.

I want to attach the image as example that I do at home to show what I do, due to the confidential I can’t show the real drawings. it asked for insert the URL of the image http//………….???? The image is on my desktop, I don’t have on website how can I upload, but at work it’s so easy to upload.

thanks

text in the text box was cut from excel and pasted in layout tab and that was it, no big image, each layout would have about 25-30 of this text box, would this cause my file size bigger?

25 to 30 text boxes per layout and you have 45 layouts. That does not add up to 500.

Each text box is its own OLE object. I would have to run a test to see exactly what adding one or more of these objects would do to the file size before being able to answer your question.

I have a technical question

If you copy and paste a linked OLE object (say a cell from an excell worksheet) to a drawing, then make a block out of that OLE object,

Is each instance of that block a separate OLE object? or is there only one OLE, embedded in the block definition, and each instance of the block simply refers back to the OLE in the block definition.

Sengna, how many total part and equipment numbers do you have.

How many times, on average, is each part or equipment number refrenced in the drawing?

Do the part numbers change that often that keeping them as a separate excell file makes sense?

For example, let us say that you have 50 part numbers and you need to isplay these numbers on the average of 20 times per drawing.

Let's also say that the part numbers are set and are not expected to change without a complete redesign of the part.

Therefore, using an excell link to the part number is not nessessary.

You have two options.

1) Create a block just of the part number and refrence it each itme you want to use it. to me, this is a bit of overkill because a block consiting of a couple lines of text doesn't really save you anything, although it is the more "correct" approach, I suppose.

2)

a. Create a blank layout with out any viewports.

b. Create a leader with each of the part numbers in this layout.

c. Copy and paste each of the leaders you need for a particular layout into that layout.

d. Adjust the location of the arrows and text as needed per layout.

This method preserves the leader to text link.

I have since had a chance to run a simple test.

I opened a new AutoCAD drawing, created a 3x2 rectangle, did a zoom > extents and saved the drawing. Checking its properties I noticed the file size was 68KB.

I copied one cell from an Excel spreadsheet consisting of one line comprised of 13 characters.

I opened the drawing and did a paste special of the one cell from Excel. I saved the drawing, checked its properties and found the file size had grown to 104KB.

I opened the drawing a second time and copied the cell nine times (for a total of 10 cells) then saved the drawing. File size had grown to 428KB.

I opened the drawing for a third time and copied the 10 cells (twice) for a total of 30 cells then saved the drawing. File size was now a whooping 1.12MB. I can only imagine what the file size might be if I had 500 copies of that single Excel cell in my drawing.

Sengena: How large is the file you are presently dealing with? Remember that you said you had 500 OLE objects inserted in your drawing.

Following ReMark's method, I answered my own question.

In my test, creating a file with 100 copies of a linked excel cell changed the file size from 41 kb to 304 kb

making a block out of the linked cell and having 100 instances of that block changed it from 41 kb to 44 kb

I copied an excell cell, then pasted it in as "Paste special" linked object.

Selected the object and made a block out of it.

I also checked to see if it would update while embeded in a block, it does. I changed the text in the excell file, resaved it, then reopened the drawing. all good.

I have since had a chance to run a simple test.

Very interesting, Paste special is a pain, i try to avoid now.

Sengena: How large is the file you are presently dealing with? Remember that you said you had 500 OLE objects inserted in your drawing.

The file that always crash is 21,244 KB size and it got 37 layout tab and each layout tab has about 25 OLO Text box (Each OLE text box has 24 digits), i don't think i have 500 OLE objs.

Last time it was 25-30 OLE objects per layout and there were 45 layouts. That math didn't add up either unless some of the same OLE objects were being displayed in multiple layouts.

Sengna, how many total part and equipment numbers do you have.

How many times, on average, is each part or equipment number refrenced in the drawing?

Do the part numbers change that often that keeping them as a separate excell file makes sense?

For example, let us say that you have 50 part numbers and you need to isplay these numbers on the average of 20 times per drawing.

Let's also say that the part numbers are set and are not expected to change without a complete redesign of the part.

Therefore, using an excell link to the part number is not nessessary.

You have two options.

1) Create a block just of the part number and refrence it each itme you want to use it. to me, this is a bit of overkill because a block consiting of a couple lines of text doesn't really save you anything, although it is the more "correct" approach, I suppose.

2)

a. Create a blank layout with out any viewports.

b. Create a leader with each of the part numbers in this layout.

c. Copy and paste each of the leaders you need for a particular layout into that layout.

d. Adjust the location of the arrows and text as needed per layout.

This method preserves the leader to text link.

-

-There are Approx 525 Equipments

-The number will stay with the EQ for a long time, i don't change them often

"Do the part numbers change that often that keeping them as a separate excell file makes sense? Part number won't be changed very often unless i get rid of them and buy the new EQ, and the number is required to show on the drawing.

-

-There are Approx 525 Equipments

-The number will stay with the EQ for a long time, i don't change them often

"Do the part numbers change that often that keeping them as a separate excell file makes sense? Part number won't be changed very often unless i get rid of them and buy the new EQ, and the number is required to show on the drawing.

Then why are you embedding or linking the excel data?

Select the cell in excel, then copy, switch to autocad, start a leader then when it comes time to enter the text, simply paste the data from the cell into the leader (it won't be an OLE object, just the raw text).

Another option is to paste special as an autocad entity it will paste in as a table cell.

If the OLE objects are linked, and not embedded, you can break the links, that might help with your crashing issue.