CADTutor.net is a great forum

Crump

I have been a CAD tech working with MicroStation for over twenty years. I've never before worked with AutoCAD. After all these years my employer is now changing to AutoCAD. I am scheduled to go through some formal AutoCAD training in a few months. In the meantime, to help prepare myself, I have been tinkering with the AutoCAD software on a shared work station and I've been looking at training materials available on the internet. I ran across this forum and I am very impressed. It is very good of you to set up a site where people can get help with their AutoCAD problems. I have not actually begun working with AutoCAD so I do not have any questions yet but I'm sure I will soon enough. Thanks for providing the forum—I think it's great.

Welcome to the CADTutor forum Crump. I'm sure the brains behind this whole idea, David Watson, would be pleased to read your comments.

Environmental? I worked in that field for several years too. The firm I worked for, Consulting Environmental Engineers, did mostly wastewater treatment systems for both civil and municipal clients. And your firm?

It's good to see someone coming to the light (from MicroStation to AutoCAD)! j/k

Welcome to the forum! Post any questions you have. Having worked with both (MS and AutoCAD), I can understand some of the upcoming frustration. I prefer AutoCAD, BTW...but I was 'raised' on AutoCAD. There are a lot of similarities, but to avoid copyright (or some other legal mumbo-jumbo), often you will find slightly different terminology (levels vs. layers being the first to come to mind) to accomplish the same thing.

Good luck!

Environmental? I worked in that field for several years too. The firm I worked for, Consulting Environmental Engineers, did mostly wastewater treatment systems for both civil and municipal clients. And your firm?
Gresham Smith and Partners, it is an architecture and engineering firm. I am in the environmental department.

Are you involved in any Superfund site cleanups?

Most of our environmental work dealt with putting in monitoring wells for clients that had on-site contamination of groundwater. We also helped out a number of firms who had old sludge lagoons they were trying to close so they could reclaim the use of the land.

Are you involved in any Superfund site cleanups?

No, at least not recently. The firm does environmental compliance work and I have in the past worked on those type projects from time to time; however, I work primarily with municipal water and sewer systems.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

This forum looks really great. I would give another feedback in a week. Just joined yesterday.

BTW, there is a problem.

When I'm trying to post or reply, I get a message saying "You are not logged in" frequently.

At first I thought, its because using Chrome in incognito mode. Then I switched to the regular mode, but the problem persists. Is it a problem with the site or my browser?

When you sign in, check REMEMBER ME, which will place a cookie on your computer and you will stay signed in until you choose to sign out. :wink:

• 4 months later...

I'm loving this forum. Even if I don't have any problems I usually visit here while at work just to see what is going on and I'm learning lots just from that. Sometimes I try and help a bit, but when I see the replies of some of the long-term members I realise how much I have still got to learn about AutoCAD!

Keep up the good work :)