Copy blocks and changing their names.

intern2011

Hi all together,

is there any faster way to copying and renaming a block, than opening it with the block editor, doing "save as" and than inserting it again?

Thank you very much.

Regards,

intern2011

if you intend to rename all instances of one particular block then the RENAME command will do what you want. If you want all existing instances to keep their old name but new ones to have the new name then I would do it as you are.

if you intend to rename all instances of one particular block then the RENAME command will do what you want. If you want all existing instances to keep their old name but new ones to have the new name then I would do it as you are.

Yes, I want to keep all existing instances and have a renamed copy of them, too.

I use CopyRenameBlockV1-3.lsp by Lee Mac, but that's not an option with LT.

If they're not dynamic blocks, it may be a bit faster to explode and redefine with the "convert to block" option checked rather than using the block editor and then re-inserting the new block

Why not just WBLOCK the desired entities, then OPEN the resultant drawing to use the RENAME command, then re-INSERT said drawing with renamed blocks? :unsure:

Why not just WBLOCK the desired entities, then OPEN the resultant drawing to use the RENAME command, then re-INSERT said drawing with renamed blocks? :unsure:

My problem is that I'm drawing biomass heating stations and putting them into buildings, with fuel conveyors, pipes, etc.

So I have and need a lot of detailed staff in the boiler blocks. The boiler blocks itself exist of about 10 other blocks and this consist of other blocks. So in total I have about 40 blocks per boiler. But I also have other machines in there, so I always have to make certain lines or parts of lines to hidden ones or chancing colours.

Now I have a drawing with 4 times the same boiler, which means 4 times 40 blocks and I have to change lines of about lets say 20 blocks without modifying the other blocks. But I don't want to explode them, because if I had to redesign something, I would have to start a new drawing, because just with single lines and without blocks there is no chance to handle this.

So now wblocking and re-inserting 20 blocks is a lot of work, because I have to wblock lets say the parts of the grate, make a new block out of them and then but this block into my boiler block.

No, I believe you're misunderstanding my point...

Using the WBLOCK command, select ALL entities you wish to rename (be sure to select the option to delete from drawing), which will produce a separate drawing with the selected entities (all of the ones you selected), from which you can use the RENAME command to prefix, suffix, etc. ALL blocks in the resultant drawing. Then, once the resultant drawing (with all of the renamed blocks) has been saved, simply INSERT the resultant drawing containing all the renamed blocks into the original drawing, and walla - done.

... Make (more) sense, now?

• 2 weeks later...

How about the BLOCKREPLACE command? Create a copy of your existing block and give it a new name, then you can specify that new block name to replace all of the existing blocks by the former name.

In this way you only need to specify the names of the blocks, and don't need to go into the drawing and select them.

Have you tried using dynamic blocks with visibility states? It would work better if each individual block had it's own visibility state showing it in each view you require. then your 'parent' block could contain as many configurations as you need of the different blocks in different visibility states.

How about the BLOCKREPLACE command? Create a copy of your existing block and give it a new name, then you can specify that new block name to replace all of the existing blocks by the former name.

In this way you only need to specify the names of the blocks, and don't need to go into the drawing and select them.

Hi, could you name the correct command, please?

Have you tried using dynamic blocks with visibility states? It would work better if each individual block had it's own visibility state showing it in each view you require. then your 'parent' block could contain as many configurations as you need of the different blocks in different visibility states.

That might be a quite good idea. It would also allow me to keep the original design of the block, which is quite good sometimes.

Thanks!

That might be a quite good idea. It would also allow me to keep the original design of the block, which is quite good sometimes.

Thanks!

No worries!

I only just started using dynamic blocks a few months ago and have found them to be exremely handy.

• 2 weeks later...
No worries!

I only just started using dynamic blocks a few months ago and have found them to be extremely handy.

Hi I'm using dynamic blocks now, too. It was a really good hint. Just one question. Is it possible in LT to make assosiations in dynamic blocks.

I have one part which needs me always a lot of time to draw it. It's a grid of HEB carriers. So basically two long parallel ones and a lot of parallel ones in between (like a ladder). Now I want to stretch the long ones, but the small ones should remains equally spread.

So lets say my long ones are 10 m and I have 11 small ones in between, with a clearance of 1 m.

Now I want to stretch it by 5 meters. So the clearance should be stretched by 0.5 m. If done this by now, with doing 10 stretches, one for each small carrier, and then using 10 different distance multipliers.

Now I saw in a tutorial, that the guy made a constrain between lets say all my 10 clearances to force them to be equal. And then he created just one stretch for one clearance. All others chanced now equally.

But I don't have this constrains panel in my block Editor. Is it existing in LT?

I agree that constraints would propbably be the best way to get to what you want to achieve. Unfortunately in LT you can view but not add constraints. Maybe you could try using a 'path' array, with a distance parameter & stretch action applied to the path (not sure if this will work exactly how you would want it to but give it a go). good luck!