Inventor for building architecture?

fostertom

ACA is built off the vanilla AutoCAD core, so it still acts like AutoCAD with "advanced tools". ACA stole a lot of intuitiveness from Revit, as Revit doesn't act at all like AutoCAD.
I like the sound of that.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fostertom

• ReMark

• tzframpton

• f700es

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see anything in your drawing that couldn't be done very happily in ACA or Revit for that matter. I'd stay away from Inventor for this stuff, as I advised in the other thread.

Thanks to all for the advice, which to me is worth

That ... $64' date='000[/quote']
I don't see anything in your drawing that couldn't be done very happily in ACA or Revit for that matter
In http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?64850-Thinking-of-cheating-on-my-AutoCAD-with-that-hot-new-Revit-program./page4
In AutoCAD you model things freely. With AutoCAD you don't have to plan much on most things. You just go with it and you can always do things in a random order. With Revit' date=' since it is parametric you really have to understand where you need to end up before you ever start.[/quote']That sounds like Acad 2012, or ACA even better, rather than Revit, and forget Inventor.

Is that the considered answer? i am still open to other opinions.

Looking at Acad 2012 info on Adesk site, just noticed that Fusion is included - and am currently downloading Fusion from Adesk Labs. Assuming it will run, for trial purposes, on Acad 2006 to which I have access, before I start the learning curve, couple of questions:

Wd Remark's answer (having looked at my pics and descrip of the task) 'Inventor would do a bang up job of detailing cuboid objects and shaping them with boolean trimming' still hold good with Fusion on top of vanilla Acad?

If so, having made Fusion essential, when it expires in Labs on 1 May 2012, will I have no alternative but to get access to Acad 2012, to continue?

Fusion is free and is quite different than Inventor.

You should be able to model anything you need - but no 2D drawings output.

You will need AutoCAD or some other program to generate the 2D.

There's a big debate on which is better - Revit or ACA. Best thing is just to buy the suite and decide for yourself.

I agree for just a bit more you can have them all.

They also have their 123D app that is like Fusion and it does not expire. It will save to dwg and many other formats. It's like an Inventor for hobbyists.

Looking at Acad 2012 info on Adesk site, just noticed that Fusion is included - and am currently downloading Fusion from Adesk Labs. Assuming it will run, for trial purposes, on Acad 2006 to which I have access, before I start the learning curve, couple of questions:

Wd Remark's answer (having looked at my pics and descrip of the task) 'Inventor would do a bang up job of detailing cuboid objects and shaping them with boolean trimming' still hold good with Fusion on top of vanilla Acad?

If so, having made Fusion essential, when it expires in Labs on 1 May 2012, will I have no alternative but to get access to Acad 2012, to continue?

I think you have already convinced yourself to use Inventor so I'm wondering what it will take for you to follow through with your decision?
No, you turned me off that. Best advice seemed to stick with Acad, maybe with Adesk Architecture on top. Then Fusion comes to my notice, which is 'fully interoperable with AutoCAD and Autodesk Inventor'. So now it's downloaded and ready to run as soon as I reboot after writing this.

Then Fusion comes to my notice, So now it's downloaded and ready to run as soon as I reboot after writing this.

You will want to watch these videos to get started with Fusion (keep in mind that it is very different than Inventor).

http://au.autodesk.com/?nd=class_listing&filter_keywords=&chunk=15&filter_track=&filter_software=&filter_speaker=102543&filter_year=131&filter_language=English&filter_type=&whichfilter=all

• 1 month later...

I'm a little late to the party here - but I just wanted to throw a little light on this.

Revit is used by Architects to design buildings. Typically they will model at the kind of detail you would see in a 1:50 scale drawing. if you need to Design for architecture, then yes - I would recommend Revit or AutoCAD architecture.

Inventor is used by manufacturers to create manufacturing drawings which are as detailed as the real thing will be in real life. If you need to create Fabrication drawings then I would recommend Autodesk Inventor (No matter if the item you are fabricating is part of a building).

I feel out of love with 3D AutoCAD when I found Inventor. Getting a drawing from an AutoCAD model was just to hard, however - the new tools in AutoCAD 2013 maybe about to change all that...

Thanks - haven't got further with this yet, except a little play with direct modeller Fusion which comes with Acad 2012 (not just as an Inventor accessory).

The conversation moved to http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?66620-Plain-Acad-3D-for-building-architecture-instead-of-Revit-ec. Anything to add to that? Wd be grateful for more feedback.