• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BlackBox

• Jack_O'neill

• DANIEL

• CADTutor

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

BTW - can we have a smiley that substitutes ;) please? Typing out : wink : is a bit tedious, and sooo many people use ;) without realising they won't get a cute yellow guy out of it

Yes, that's done. Both options now work.

Seriously... You have a problem with 'lmao'!? shocked.gif uglystupid2.gif2funny.gif

>

... Not sure what kind of sweat shop ethos you're going on about :rtfm:... but YEAH, 'lmao' is suitable for my workplace, and college. :beer:

I didn't say I had a problem with it. It's not suitable for SOME workplaces or colleges (given what it actually stands for), so it isn't suitable, particularly as a smiley

Yes, that's done. Both options now work.

Thanks David :) (now my post doesn't make sense :lol: )

rizvi87js.gifbf427ab2.gif

:lol: Love the first one!

I'm not sure when you'd use one though :unsure:

Edited by Strix
multiple posts

I didn't say I had a problem with it. It's not suitable for SOME workplaces or colleges (given what it actually stands for), so it isn't suitable, particularly as a smiley

>

Perhaps I'm not understanding your point correctly... are you saying that a smiley, a graphic representation (animated?), of someone 'laughing really, really hard' (aka LMAO) is somehow inappropriate to use in ANY workplace or college???

The argument you pose is nonsensical (to me) on many levels:

1. I'm not asking David to add the smiley and spell out what LMAO as an acronym stands for.

2. By definition, the use of the smiley presents an alternative to typing out LMAO in both full, and acronym form.

3. Be they (the hypothetical members) in the workplace or college, they're an adult by law. It's THEIR responsibility to act in accordance with respect, etiquette, computer usage policy, and their own, personal beliefs... if LMAO is inappropriate to THEM, then THEY should choose not to use it. Period.

4. I've made my suggestion to include a 'Laugh really, really hard' (aka LMAO) smiley, and David will decide what is to happen... and that is fine with me either way.

Furthermore, using 'given what it stands for' as justification is just dumb :nono:. I offer the new "RTFM" smiley --> :rtfm: as proof of my point. To spell out the acronym "RTFM" would be inappropriate, yes. To use the smiley (or acronym for that matter!) no, no-so-much.

I simply think both your concern over this faux issue, and your argument are baseless. You're welcome to retort, I just see no point in continuing this discussion further.

Cheers! :beer:

^^ Ironically THIS smiley too IS *seemingly* appropriate for both the workplace and college.2funny.gif (

Edited by BlackBox

OK, I understand Strix's point but I think that acronyms of this sort are acceptable because the meaning transcends the original words and they have become a sort of lingua franca of the web.

That said, where there is a less potentially offensive option, I will use that in preference. In the case of LMAO, I am using ROFL.

So, you asked for it! I just added another (and hopefully final) batch of smilies, including ROFL and Facepalm. Hope you like 'em.

:rofl: :facepalm: :book:

OK, I understand Strix's point but I think that acronyms of this sort are acceptable because the meaning transcends the original words and they have become a sort of lingua franca of the web.

That said, where there is a less potentially offensive option, I will use that in preference. In the case of LMAO, I am using ROFL.

So, you asked for it! I just added another (and hopefully final) batch of smilies, including ROFL and Facepalm. Hope you like 'em.

Had I only known to use ROFL, in lieu of LMAO initially... :facepalm:

I would do well to learn from this.

Cheers, David! :beer:

• 1 month later...

2funny.gif (Ah, now that smiley explains that we're at crossed purposes :thumbsup: Your smiley is more of a ROFL than it is LMAO. There IS a LMAO smiley from the same group as we're using here, and it is indeed somewhat inappropriate ;)

Thanks David :thumbsup:

Had I only known to use ROFL, in lieu of LMAO initially... :facepalm:

I would do well to learn from this.

Cheers, David! :beer:

:)

Yes, but perhaps that is best reserved for David's (if not moderator's) use instead? :twisted:

Fish_Slap.gif

That's great!! I love it!

How DO you make gif's display animated?

That's great!! I love it!

How DO you make gif's display animated?

Try doing a Google Image searches with "GIF" in the search string' date=' or you can use online 'animators' with your own pics, like this (found in a quick Google search, I cannot speak for quality, reputability, etc.)

a>

^^ That's awesome! :rofl:

font%3Ebeat_2.gif

Try doing a Google Image searches with "GIF" in the search string, or you can use online 'animators' with your own pics, like this (found in a quick Google search, I cannot speak for quality, reputability, etc.)

font%3Ebeat_2.gif

rizvi87js.gif

Try doing a Google Image searches with "GIF" in the search string, or you can use online 'animators' with your own pics, like this (found in a quick Google search, I cannot speak for quality, reputability, etc.)

font%3Ebeat_2.gif

It works on the website I got the link from, and I can see everybody elses, but I can't see that one on here. Didn't know what I was doing wrong. Thanks for the info.