Welcome to the upgraded CADTutor forums!

CADTutor

But some people simply don't have the option of upgrading their browser. Many work in large commercial organisations and are stuck on IE7. Not only is it frustrating for them but the experience of this website they get is poor and that reflects on us (me).

I am fully behind the concept of "progressive enhancement" in web design (I use it myself) to feed a better user experience to those browsers that can handle it but it should never be done at the expense of usability for those browsers that can't - it should be allowed to degrade gracefully. The vB developers have been too dogmatic in their support for FF and have ignored the needs of the majority of web users (whether you like it or not, IE is still the most popular browser in the world).

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CADTutor

• alanjt

• rkmcswain

• Lee Mac

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The vB developers have been too dogmatic in their support for FF and have ignored the needs of the majority of web users (whether you like it or not, IE is still the most popular browser in the world).
Well think about it.... they spend countless labor hours in creating a great product with certain standards that are available right now (and have been for quite some time). Then, they have to spend more countless hours re-writing their code to degrade the program just so IE7 works. It's a waste of time and money for them, all because Microsoft won't get with the program. Microsoft and IE single handily costs web developers an enormous amount of time and money. If a developer of a certain product looks at their "bottom line" and just says no to certain programming decisions then so be it. I can't blame them.... I would hate to create a fully complete 3D BIM mechanical layout in AutoCAD MEP 2011, to then have to redraw almost half of it just so ABS 2007 could read it. I want to draw it one time, and for it to work across all platforms. Luckily there's an Export option in AutoCAD, but web development and browsers do not work in this way.

And regarding the people that cannot upgrade their browser because of IT decisions at their company, I do understand this completely. I still believe that if a product is needed, and is worth it, then IT will make the decision to upgrade browsers. It's not like you're transitioning from Windows XP to Windows 7 or anything. I guess I'm just taking the side of my friend who raises his fist at the browser God's and curses IE's name every day..... Not trying to get into a heated debate with ya Dave because I do see all your points. :thumbsup:

I guess I'm just taking the side of my friend who raises his fist at the browser God's and curses IE's name every day..... Not trying to get into a heated debate with ya Dave because I do see all your points. :thumbsup:

Well, I'm a web designer too and I also raise my fist to IE but you have to ask yourself who websites are for. Are they for web designers to get their kicks out of using the latest CSS3 effects or are they designed for ordinary people who just want a good browsing experience? The defining principle of a good web designer is "user centred design". That means designing for the user and not for the browser.

Don't worry, I enjoy the banter. :)

...although IE8 is not bad...

But some people simply don't have the option of upgrading their browser. Many work in large commercial organisations and are stuck on IE7.

We just recently got some users off of IE6, and many here still use it - due to incompatibility with a 'mission critical' application we run here.

From a UI point, IE8 looks and feels a lot like Chrome... Have not seen IE9 yet.

I still have to run IE8 for a web app that only supports IE. IETab for FF worked on XP, but for this particular app, not in Win7x64.

But some people simply don't have the option of upgrading their browser. Many work in large commercial organisations and are stuck on IE7.
That's me! :) Our machines get scaned regularly to check that they conform to the company template. I have already been reported for installing programmes writen my myself that help me do my job more efficiently so I'm not going to risk being reported for not using IE.

That's me! :) Our machines get scaned regularly to check that they conform to the company template. I have already been reported for installing programmes writen my myself that help me do my job more efficiently so I'm not going to risk being reported for not using IE.

USB flash drive with Portable Apps. Run what you want to and take it with you.

http://portableapps.com/

I’m afraid that there may be an issue with views counter

This can occasionally happen and is not new to the upgrade. It's to do with the way in which counters are updated. If there are a number of replies in quick succession, the number of replies can appear higher than the number of views. This is only a temporary state and the view counter will catch up. It's essentially an optimisation issue and is designed to minimise hits on the database.

dear cadtutor

1) open the site in proposes i give the user name & password

is show the password

example

username : autolisp

password : 12345678

error.jpg

wow.... just got back from a 3-week-vacation and besides the hour to answer emails I think I'll spend the rest of the day getting the feel of this new place - looks good so far.

Oh and Autolisp - IE7 has been stated earlier in this thread to be the cause of issues, might I suggest Firefox?

Oh, and I miss my Christmas Theme :(

Edited by Tiger