AutoCAD 2013 - Crashes when switching layouts

JamyB

I'm having quite a bit of issues with either my CAD or several files. It seems that switching from one layout to another, or from model to layout, AutoCAD crashes. When selecting the layout, I get the 'Processing Image' in the bottom left and stays at 0%, then CAD freezes and never comes back. It doesn't happen at every time I change layout, but its been quite frequent. And it's happening in more then one file. The problem started in 2012 and I've just installed 2013 and same thing happens. Here's a list of what I've tried so far:

Purge-Audit-Wblock-Recover

Whipthread = 0

Layout Regen Option is set to 'Cache model tab and all layouts'

Installing new CAD version

Hardware is not an issue.

On a side note, they're several Xref in the drawings. I've tried auditing those as well. There is only 1 or 2 viewports in each layouts.

At this point any suggestion is welcome. It's been a few frustrating days. :x

Hi

Layout Regen Option is set to 'Cache model tab and all layouts'

I take it you've tried with Layout Regen Options Set to 'Regen when switching layouts'?

If I recall this is the preferred reliable/slower setting which worked when we encountered this problem.

Are you working from a network drive? I've had a similar issue but it was the network drive not responding to the software IT guy fixed it but I started saving everything to my hard drive never had that problem again.

I'm running Window 7 on Bootcamp.

My previous setting was 'Regen when switching layouts'. Tried switching it to see it would change anything.

I am working from a network drive. But if the issue came from that, everyone else should have the same issue. Right? I also tried saving on my hard drive (except for the Xrefs). Still did the same.

Im going to going to go through the Xref again and try to clean those up.

Thanks y'all.

Save the drawing with a different name on your local hard drive and see if you get the same behavior when open from your hard drive. At least you can eliminate any network problems if it does the same thing.

I think you're getting to something Ski_Me. I've checked with my colleagues and one of them was having crashing issues with Revit. And the other working locally.

Saving a file locally with the Xref on Network did not help. But removing them or binding them seem to have made a difference. I haven't tried copying locally and remapping them yet.

If by any chance you know what IT guy did to fix the issue that would be great.

Thanks

Not sure what the IT guy did to fix my issue but I think it was a mapping issue on the network drive. The file your opening from the network drive has an XREF if I'm following correctly. Does the original of the XREF live on the network drive as well. If not then maybe the file path to the XREF is corrupt. Not to say that the path is gone but maybe it leads to a looping path so to speak and the program keeps sending the same command to open the file over and over. It's easy to think this could be an AutoCAD issue but I think this time it's not I think it's a file management issue. Investigate your file path see where it leads. Good Luck.

• 2 years later...

Trying to find the Answer here, I solved my problem (same as yours), and I have to post what I did might help you guys too.

I typed XREF to the command, just to check what xrefs are..

You will find there pictures and files you have imported in the drowing file... (the ones you still have and the ones you have deleted)

Delete the ones you dont have anymore in your model: Right Click --> Detach

That solved my problem. I think the software was sure trying to find file's or file paths of the ones that were deleted, and somehow it was taking too much time...

I hope it work for u too :)

Welcome to CAD Tutor,

This a post back from 2014. I hope they got everything figured out by now, lol. Dang sure is nice of you to put this up. If anyone should happen to have an issue they might be able to thank you for taking the time to put this post up. Although, I don't think this was their issue. I could be wrong though. :beer: