plot has thick lines not on drawing ?

mlbuxbaum

depends on what you mean by the center, for a rectangle, I can snap to the center by clicking 2 opposite corners and having AutoCAD find the midpoint between the 2 points.

hmmmm....thats exactly what i did too....

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• mlbuxbaum

• SLW210

• Organic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You can use a command modifier like M2P to snap to the center of a rectangle. A command modifier is used in conjunction with another command. Used by itself AutoCAD would tell you it is an unknown command but use it with Move, Copy, Line, etc. and you'll see that it does work quite nicely.

You can use a command modifier like M2P to snap to the center of a rectangle. A command modifier is used in conjunction with another command. Used by itself AutoCAD would tell you it is an unknown command but use it with Move, Copy, Line, etc. and you'll see that it does work quite nicely.

that works awesome.....thank you

I found one segement of a line to the left of the word Scale.

It appears there might be a line missing on the left where the word Tolerances is.

It seems you do not want to create/use separate layers for your linework and your text and instead you leave it all on layer "0". That is not what I would recommend but.....

It seems as though you'll have a Text Style (ex. - Standard) and then override the Text Font that is used thus having a situation where two strings of text are identified as having a Text Style of Standard but be depicted with two different fonts. Is that how you were taught to do it?

Are you familiar with the PURGE command? You have the Hidden linetype loaded but no longer referenced in your drawing. The linetype definition can be purged (eliminated) from the drawing using the PURGE command.

I found one segement of a line to the left of the word Scale.

It appears there might be a line missing on the left where the word Tolerances is.

It seems you do not want to create/use separate layers for your linework and your text and instead you leave it all on layer "0". That is not what I would recommend but.....

It seems as though you'll have a Text Style (ex. - Standard) and then override the Text Font that is used thus having a situation where two strings of text are identified as having a Text Style of Standard but be depicted with two different fonts. Is that how you were taught to do it?

Are you familiar with the PURGE command? You have the Hidden linetype loaded but no longer referenced in your drawing. The linetype definition can be purged (eliminated) from the drawing using the PURGE command.

i just looked at the PURGE command. I did not know about that.

The text font issue, is most likely my doing. I created, under "manage text styles", texts that i would be using numerous times in the drawing. so now under 'manage text styles" i have 6 differents styles. Standard, Annotative, and the 4 I created using the "new" command in the 'text style" menu box. We werent taught that per se.

The layer issue I havent tackeled yet. I am not sure how to do that. If you are suggesting that i do it with layers I'm sure that is what i should be doing. I will be doing another drawing tonight and tomorrow. I will do it with layers.

I cannot find the line segment to the left of scale. The half line under tolerances is supposed to be like that.

Thank you for all your help so far.

I was looking for a horizontal line under Tolerances but I guess one is not required.

The small line segment I referred to is covered by the long bottom line of your title block. That's probably why you can't see it.

Layers can be an effective way of managing content. You should be able to create a new layer, set its color and assign a linetype to it for starters all by using the Layer Properties Manager. Other options include being able to assign a lineweight to a layer and setting a layer to "no print". Layers can be turned Off/On or they can be Frozen/Thawed. It is also much easier to organize a drawing if one uses layers. For example, let's say you work for an architectural firm. Your drawing could have layers for the foundation, walls, dimensions, windows, doors, electrical, plumbing, the roof just to name a few. You can turn some layers off (or freeze them) while you work on other layers.

By the way, most long-time CAD users do not draw on layer 0. This is the layer one normally creates their blocks on.

I was looking for a horizontal line under Tolerances but I guess one is not required.

The small line segment I referred to is covered by the long bottom line of your title block. That's probably why you can't see it.

Layers can be an effective way of managing content. You should be able to create a new layer, set its color and assign a linetype to it for starters all by using the Layer Properties Manager. Other options include being able to assign a lineweight to a layer and setting a layer to "no print". Layers can be turned Off/On or they can be Frozen/Thawed. It is also much easier to organize a drawing if one uses layers. For example, let's say you work for an architectural firm. Your drawing could have layers for the foundation, walls, dimensions, windows, doors, electrical, plumbing, the roof just to name a few. You can turn some layers off (or freeze them) while you work on other layers.

By the way, most long-time CAD users do not draw on layer 0. This is the layer one normally creates their blocks on.

I used OVERKILL to get rid of the line, it may be an Express Tool, I just type it in. I often do my initial drawing on layer 0, because usually I am making a block. I would draw the title block on layer 0 as well (yes, because I will be making it an attributed block).

Yes, OVERKILL is an Express Tool. mlbuxbaum: Are you familiar with Express Tools?

not really, I have seen the tool tab at the top of the screen though. I just looked at it. Pretty cool options in there. I will have to play with that today and over the weekend. I like "delete duplicates" aka Overkill. Really wish i knew about that sooner....would have been a huge help.

Here is another drawing i have to hand in tomorrow. I think its okay, but then again i didnt think the previous drawing had that many issues.

All in all i would say im not doing too bad for only 3 classes with an instructor i cant understand. Once again, thanks for everyones help and advice. I really do appreciate it.

Drawing6-5.dwg

Edited by mlbuxbaum
additional text

That did not take long. Found one line on top of another with my first pick. Better get out that OVERKILL command as you're going to need it again.

I would recommend that all the linework for your object go on one layer and the centerlines on a second layer. And just for laughs, make the object layer color red with a continuous linetype and the centerline layer color green with the linetype center or center2. Hurry up, I'm hungry and lunchtime is coming up fast. LOL

Tell me, did you use the array command on the plan view?

Since you are getting so good at this how about a bottom view and a section just to make it interesting?

Instructors, we don't need no stinking instructors!

Not too bad.

Command: overkill

Initializing...

Select objects: Specify opposite corner: 72 found

Select objects:

4 duplicate(s) deleted.

5 object(s) deleted.

Edited by SLW210
oops

Well the number of duplicates has dropped. That's an improvement. Not goal: ZERO duplicates!

BTW...mlbuxbaum: create a layer for your hidden lines too. Make the layer color blue. And one for dimensions. Make that one color cyan. Thanks.

Just curious...do you know about polylines and the Pedit command by any chance?

I noticed you have crosses at the centers of your bolt holes in the plan view. Did you know that these can be added when you dimension an object?

I'd recommend making the centerline on the two bolt holes in your front view longer. They seem a bit short. Scale them up 2X.

Are you going to be creating a layout at some point utilizing your title block?

Edited by ReMark

That did not take long. Found one line on top of another with my first pick. Better get out that OVERKILL command as you're going to need it again.

I would recommend that all the linework for your object go on one layer and the centerlines on a second layer. And just for laughs, make the object layer color red with a continuous linetype and the centerline layer color green with the linetype center or center2. Hurry up, I'm hungry and lunchtime is coming up fast. LOL

Tell me, did you use the array command on the plan view?

Since you are getting so good at this how about a bottom view and a section just to make it interesting?

Yes i used the array command.

I also used overkill and removed the duplicates.

Can i use the current single layer drawing and create layers from what is already there?

I will give the other 2 views a try after lunch.

On that drawing of the flange, on the top view, should i indicate the fillet that is visible on the bottom view?

Thanks again for your patience with me (everyone)

Yes, you can use the current drawing and create all the layers I mentioned.

The fillet in the front (bottom) view is the correct place to show it in my opinion. I was always taught to show features, and dimension them too, where they can be seen the best.

I added further comments above. Care to reply?

I noticed you have crosses at the centers of your bolt holes in the plan view. Did you know that these can be added when you dimension an object?

You do not have to dimension the object to use Center Marks, you can add them with _dimcenter or Dimension>Center Mark. You can adjust the size in Dim Style Manager or just scale them.

Yes, you can use the current drawing and create all the layers I mentioned.

The fillet in the front (bottom) view is the correct place to show it in my opinion. I was always taught to show features, and dimension them too, where they can be seen the best.

I added further comments above. Care to reply?

I will work on the layers over the weekend.

Which "i added further comments above" do you mean. If you are referring to the title block, yes i want to create layers on that one too.

I will make the centerlines on the bolts holes extend further

Drawing6-5.dwg

Do you know about polylines and also the Pedit command?

What's with the attached drawing file in the above post? Doesn't seem to be any different than the first.