Network Install of AutoCAD

Bill Tillman

I am curious about the performance of AutoCAD run from a main server for all users. I can obviously see the advantage of this setup but does performance degrade in anyway? And how many users would this support, I am assuming unlimited as long as all the seats are paid for.

Which brings this question to mind. If I understand the information from our reseller, the cost increase for a networked seat of AutoCAD is the same as an individual copy, however, AutoDesk charges about $1000 more for the network option. For example, 5 individual copies of AutoCAD 2013 Design Suite with annual subscription is about $25K. Now turn that into a 5 user networked system and you end up paying $26K. Is that extra grand really worth it or is it just another AutoDesk ploy to charge for something...because they can.

We run a network version it sits on each individual pc the only thing on the server is the license manager, we have 3 copies supporting about 10 casual users. That means load it 10 times. No speed degredation I think loading the working version on a server could cause problems.

BIGAL, that make some more sense. Once again, I'm afraid that our reseller is lacking in technical knowledge. The way they explained it to me was that AutoCAD was installed on the server and each user ran their desktop app from that copy, which counted each runtime request against the number of seats in the license manager.

You probably can do it that way but I would not, it took a liitle bit of sorting out at the server end by our IT basiscly they did not know how to do but we have upgraded it twice and added etc since 1st go, so they know now how to run the license manager software.

When adding a user you do a normal install only difference is Custom install, pick Network and enter name of server.

Check dealer knows about your server version MS Novel citrix etc

Oh Yeah you can now have Autocad citrix which means we have gone in a circle basicly you have a dumb terminal (pc) running from a server this may be what he was offering. Load onto one box and just add to list of users software avaialble. We run citrix no Autocads but thinking about it maybe 1 copy just worried people would go direct to IT and ask for next thing we know dwg's are getting changed, "I know what I am doing".

BIGAL...Citrix server running AutoCAD... I was told that is a violation of the EULA. But if you buy 5 seats you should be able to have 5 people running it no matter how you set it up. Oh well, the music industry had to change with technology too so I guess AutoDesk is now doing that too. I will have to speak to the IT guys around here about this topic because this was an idea that I brought up which got nixed in the bud because of EULA concerns.

Also, Citrix may be a fine thin client but in the past I have found that once more than 4-5 users logon it starts to degrade in performance.

Citrix with AutoCAd was introduced with AutoCAD Map3D in 2010 version, it latter became available for Vanilla AutoCAD (version 2012 ?) and you're right it degrades performance. The only reason I can think that Map3D was the first available was because other GIS software runs on Citrix and those u$er$ asked for it.

Try around 500+ users on citrix thats me.

But those apps they are using where designed to run on Citrix, try the power hungry, resource hog Civil3D. ;)

Bill stay with network on server software on Pc's it is that simple

message "No license's are currently available" once you hit limit so doesn't matter how many pc's have it loaded.