Why is my AutoCAD-saved pdf file showing furry solid-hatched logo?

junehe

I am using AutoCAD 2015. I use solid hatch to fill in my logo. However, it shows very furry lines around the logo when I export it to pdf file. When I print the file, the logo looks fine. Just when I review it in pdf on computer, it looks really bad. I need to send the drawings to clients in digital file. So anyone can help me solve this problem? Thanks a lot!!! I checked every place on Internet to solve this problem but without any luck. I will be waiting for answers. Please see below attachment to see the bad effect of the logos in pdf. park_zps5d75c327.jpg

park2_zps32d5aae9.jpg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• junehe

• Dana W

• ReMark

• nestly

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks bad on your screen but it prints fine? What's the problem then? Probably something to do with your display resolution or your graphics card (or onboard graphics chip).

Agreed, if it prints fine the problem lies in the graphics of the computer.

More info on your computer specs and PDF software would help.

The limitations of the pdf program code in matching the solid hatch to the large amount of line segments in the outline of your characters are causing it. The plotter, on the other hand only prints what it sees.

What quality level did you select on your plot dialog?

Again, what are your graphics card specifications?

Can you post a drawing with just your "logo" in it, on a layout tab all set up for plotting the way you did the one you posted? If so, someone will have a look and maybe they can determine the issue.

Truetype fonts are most of the fonts available in AutoCad for text objects, mtext, dtext, dimensions, multileaders, and so on. When you are setting up a text style in the text style editor dialog, they are the fonts that have a little staggered TT in front of their name. The FIRST attached pdf shows my initials in a truetype font stretched to 12" tall plotted to a 24x36 pdf document. Notice how glass smooth the edges are. The second pdf shows your logo printed at 8" high. Look at the edges.

INITIALS.pdf

logo.pdf

It is the splines for one thing. They are very rough, with non-tangent radii, and reverse curves. Look at the screen shot. Only the hatches are selected, not the underlying linework. The other thing is that there is a limit to what the pdf program can do with a pixel. It will not color a space smaller than one pixel.

There is also a pdf attached, and the modified copy of your dwg file. I changed the hatch color because the BLACK ones were hard to find.:shock:

ware logo dwg.jpg

ware logo-Layout1.pdf

ware logo.dwg

Hey, I think this logo might present my issue with the problem better. Please see the attachments. When I print it out, everything looks ok. When people view it in pdf, it looks terrible.Thank you! [ATTACH]52292[/ATTACH][ATTACH]52293[/ATTACH] Thank you!
We did this already. The problem is in the execution of your linework, and the questionable resolution of the pdf driver. I am out.

I think Dana gave the explanation for why the hatch is not smooth at very high magnification (the resolution of the PDF). Based on your comments, I'm assuming your designing a logo that will be reproduced by another application, not a "logo" to be use within something like a title block.... right?

PDF logo.gif

"When I print the file, the logo looks fine."

I don't understand why this isn't the defining criteria. Now, if the OP said the logo was going to be used on a company website or as part of a video conferencing seminar then maybe I could understand why he is concerned about how it displays on a screen.

... Now, if the OP said the logo was going to be used on a company website or as part of a video conferencing seminar then maybe ....

Right... the OP didn't say, so we shouldn't be making assumptions about what's "good enough"

Maybe I was expecting to see this....

Help! My newly designed company logo displays on screen with a two day beard! :ouch:Can't have the company president see that.:o How can I shave off the whiskers and impress the boss?:shock:

Dear Dana, thank you so much for your help!! So sorry I was too busy too reply in time. Your logo hatch looks much better than mine. Does it mean I need to change Spline to Polyline before I do hatch? How do I do that? Thank you very much!