You know your an old draughtsman when...

Goomba

Anyone still have a steel straightedge hanging around, the kind with a bevel edge on one side?

When I first started in this business I saw a drafter ripping drawings on a straight edge and thought what a crude way to do that job. Fast forward a few months and I too was ripping the edges with the best of them. I still use my trusty S.S. 42" straight edge almost every day.

One place bought a fancy cutting machine and it gathered dust and was tossed out soon enough.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• Dana W

• cadkiwi

• f700es

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When I first started in this business I saw a drafter ripping drawings on a straight edge and thought what a crude way to do that job. Fast forward a few months and I too was ripping the edges with the best of them. I still use my trusty S.S. 42" straight edge almost every day.

One place bought a fancy cutting machine and it gathered dust and was tossed out soon enough.

One place I worked had a piece of a fine tooth metal cutting bandsaw blade, dulled and broken from use, screwed to the vertical edge of a table, offset by a couple of washers. On the side of the table legs was a paper roll holder. We'd feed the paper up between the sawblade and the edge of the table until it hit a 24", 36", or 42" line on the table top, then rip it off like a piece of wax paper out of the box.

I still use this trick now to cut/tear a couple of different sizes of sandpaper down for woodworking

oh yes the old blade trick! Now that was an art too.....as the paper rolled into the print machine a quick slash of the knife to trim the sheet from the roll as the drawing and yellow paper chugged into the blue light!

Remember 'butter paper' ??

Edited by cadkiwi

• 2 weeks later...
When I first started in this business I saw a drafter ripping drawings on a straight edge and thought what a crude way to do that job. Fast forward a few months and I too was ripping the edges with the best of them.

Bah, why use special equipment when you can tear the paper on the edge of the table?

Remember any of these?

Drafting tables as large as a sheet of plywood.

2" high Leroy lettering templates with a scribe that had to be 6-8" long.

Koh-i-noor pens.

Blueline pencils.

.3mm, .5mm, .7mm and .9mm Pentel mechanical pencils.

Pencil sharpener on your drafting board.

Thin sheets of sandpaper on a wood handle for sharpening lead points.

Lead shot bean bags for holding down drawings.

I was in Oxford, England last week and saw this in the window of the official student store opposite Trinity College:

LR_IMG_0769.jpg

If such a prestigious place of learning still requires students to use all of these items then perhaps I'm not as old as I feel. I can remember all of them, anybody else?

I still have a roll of rice paper that I would use for quick overlays. That and a couple of black markers and I could design all day. Better than the cover of a book of matches or a napkin.

damn flexicurve broke so damn easy.......T-square's made good rubber band sling shots........

Paper roll cores, and those telescoping lid heavy mailing tubes made VERY good pneumatic cannons. I made one once that could launch an empty coke can nearly fifty yards.

I have a flexicurve so old it won't hold a shape.

We also used mechanical pencils which actually called lead holders. And we soon discovered they were great for using as a roach clip. You know for holding ... uhh roaches.

We also used mechanical pencils which actually called lead holders. And we soon discovered they were great for using as a roach clip. You know for holding ... uhh roaches.

I just step on roaches and throw them in the trash. Why hold them? :?

• 1 month later...

I have a few to add,

You know what it feels like to run ammonia prints for 12 hours and see wild animals beside you lol

and you also know that paper cuts with iodine really suck and that damp blueprints NEVER line up, even if the big boss is watching

and you know just what part of your finger won't go thru an oversize stapler

and you know what collate means

I agree with the liquid lunch theory too

I got it Bill...it seems no one else did