Structural Drafting With Autocad, help with the last 3 plates

paisis123

plate is the drawing segment in which im working on. for example i have 7 plates that must be completed.

I thought it has a meaning in drafting/drawing!?

There is a CAD drawing of a roof drain detail here. http://www.cadcorner.ca/caddetails/archdetails.php

I am familiar with Plate 7 however your reference to Plate E1 is incorrect. That would be Detail E1. It would be an enlarged detail showing the "J" bolt that anchors the column. The bolt is 1 1/2" in diameter and 18" long. A "J" bolt has a small hook at the end thus the reason for its name. The bolt projects 3 1/2" above the baseplate. Normally there would be both a washer and a nut securing the bolt at the baseplate. See "rough" sketch below.

.J Bolt.jpgpencil.png

Plate = Drawing. Each drawing the student is required to produce is given a plate number.

Very interesting. Do you have any idea what caused to use plate as drawing?

Do you have any idea what caused to use plate as drawing?

Probably in the past, long ago, when books had illustrations in them, these would have to be engraved individually onto plates of metal, which were used in the printing process. In the books, they were referred to as Plates and given numbers for identification.

Makes a good story anyway :D

Greek - platus - flat.

A drawing is flat.

also since if u didn't know but my last name is Greek. my father is Cypriot and my mother is from Greece.

also another Greek word is -Piato- which means "plate" (pronoucced Pee-Yah-Tou)

and thanks remark for doing the rough sketch of the j bolt. i needed that!

thanks for all the help guys

i submitted the project with all 7 plates and got whooping 97 (A+) on it! thanks for all time u spent helping a noob like me!

Nothing really.

that was the last project that needed to be completed in my Penn Foster course.

Now i await the arrival of my diploma/certification.

the next step is an internship/apprenticeship:roll:

Atlanta, Georgia.

What is the employment picture like there in Atlanta? Have you already started searching job forums like Monster.com and alike? Have you looked fat listed jobs on craigslist? Cadalyst magazine has a Jobs section at its website. Might want to check that out as well.

Did you have a particular field in mind? Such as architectural, structural, mechanical, civil, environmental, other?

Good luck in your search. Hope you find something.

• 9 months later...

Hello,

Thank you very much for all of you for share your work on this website. Please can any one has all plate ready and like to share with me.

I have very hard time to understand this project.

Thank you

It depends on what you mean by "...share with me." Please elaborate.

What are you having trouble understanding?

You are being asked to draw a building using structural shapes. One of those shapes, a W12x152, will be similar to that shown in post #13 of this thread with the only difference being the actual size (height, width, web and flange thicknesses). Sometimes this shape is referred to as an "I" beam. The vertical leg is called the "web" while the two horizontal legs are called "flanges".

At the beginning of the project you will lay out a grid and locate 20 of these "I" beams, or columns, in plan view. Have you at least accomplished this much?

Edited by ReMark

Continuing where I left off yesterday.

Each column will have a baseplate 14x14x1/2 thick. Each baseplate will be anchored with two "J" bolts. They are called "J" bolts because they mimic the shape of the letter. When you draw the baseplate and column in plan view you should include the holes for the "J" bolts which would normally be 1/8" larger than the bolt diameter. The baseplates are anchored into a concrete pier and each pier is supported by a 32" square footing that is 16" thick. Your instructions will tell you what is to be shown in Plate 1 (plan view).

In Plate 2 you'll be drawing an elevation view of the south side of the building. Pay particular attention to the way the columns are situated as it will determine what you draw and how you draw it in the elevation. If I recall correctly you will be looking at the face of flange so the column web, which is hidden from view, would be drawn with a dashed or hidden linetype.