rotate and alignment of drawing to reference

studiorat

Hey all,

I have an ldd dwg. which was started in cadd I need to make sewer strip maps 11x36 i have all the borders in all the details all of it I need to align all that with a master drawing of the city blocks of which I am doing the strips, I guess my question is, How can I align it with the master so orthographically both drawings are aligned to look like the example I have from the client, I am fairly new at this I know cadd but I am not on it enough to retain all the advanced features I need to rotate the reference for each block ia m doing to match the layout of the strip layout then align it with the stations and man holes from the detail sheet etc... its probably a pretty easy thing but I dont know it and there is no help file on it as far as I know unless I am calling it the wrong command name in the search please help

strip example.jpg

strip finished example.jpg

If I am understanding your question right you want to align plan and profile views of your sewer runs correct?

If so I would place your plan and profiles in modelspace and set up paperspace tabs (layout) for each respective run. Create a plan viewport and a profile viewport in each paperspace tab (layout) and use dview > twist for the rotation and then align them by moving the viewports.

yes that and also i need to rotate a reference because another street of which I am doing is running North to south and the layout is East to west so I need to rotate to match the layout, and by moving the view ports do you mean the image within the viewport or the actual port itself?? thanx so much for your help this forum is great!!

If I am understanding your question right you want to align plan and profile views of your sewer runs correct?

If so I would place your plan and profiles in modelspace and set up paperspace tabs (layout) for each respective run. Create a plan viewport and a profile viewport in each paperspace tab (layout) and use dview > twist for the rotation and then align them by moving the viewports.

Ideally all dwgs would be set up properly considering coordinate zone and north rotation. If you have one that isn't properly set up and you are xrefing it in you can either rotate the xref OR use dview to get the view rotated without actually messing with rotating the objects (I tend to shy away from moving or rotating objects unless i have to. I like my drawings to be as "correct" as possible with north always UP and positioned correctly within the coordinate zone. Then I use dview > twist whenever I want the VIEW rotated within modelspace or paperspace.).

-------

After getting your viewports properly rotated (using dview > twist) and scaled (lock them after this is accomplished so scale and rotation can't be inadvertently modified) you can move and stretch your viewports until they are all aligned and looking pretty.

For clarification, you will have one viewport for plan and one viewport for profile in your layout. These two viewports will be scaled and dview > twisted so they can be aligned forming a beautiful plan and profile sheet along with your border/t-block.

If you really have a lot of time and want to learn more you can utilize the Sheet Manager (if you have the Civil Design add-on). The Sheet Manager will actually run your sheets for you. It will take an alignment and profile and cut the sheets (do all of this manual work for you), but it does take some time to learn it and set it up. Once you do it really makes the job quicker and easier.

• 1 year later...

Doubleclick in the viewport you wish to change and in the Comand Line type "MVSETUP".... this helps me rotate my views and lets me rotate my plan view on my sheet, when my views aren't 90%%d.

We do this now using UCS to setup your new orientation for the sheets you can pick say a line to orient yourself then save the UCS and give it a name road1 etc in your new layout just UCS Restore road1 PLAN and keep going. You can have lots of ucs's if you want one for each road. the advantage is your model is always at real world co-ordinates.

We normally draw our long sections in paperspace as these have alraedy been scaled to suit the sheet size if in the model use chspace, to align its easy just draw a verical line from a known chainage point in paperspace but pick a point from your model space Autocad will do this quite happily without changing spaces, then just move you long section to the line.