Join-connect a range of points.

therock005

So basically what i want is if i have some points imported to connect them using a specified command.

For example instead of snapping them one by one using the specified command(line,pline,spline,etc) to connect them automatically.

Is there a way to do this,if not in autocad then civil or land?

So basically what i want is if i have some points imported to connect them using a specified command.

For example instead of snapping them one by one using the specified command(line,pline,spline,etc) to connect them automatically.

Is there a way to do this,if not in autocad then civil or land?

Sorry, but if specify a criterium with which the points should be connected how can Autocad do that automatically?

Your question needs more explanations on what are you trying to do

I dont know how autocad deals with point,but at least civil,creates a database where it recognizes which files is which.

So if i have points 1 through 40,it should connect them sequencially 1-40.

Of course i would have previously arranged the correct order of the numbers so if i want to create an spline from points 1-40,that means that using the command spline it coneects points #1,#2,#3,...,#40 in this particular order.

The points must be coded in the field in a manner that the Autodesk civil products can utilize. If the points are not coded in that manner then you are limited in your capability to accomplish this, however if using Civil 3D you can use the transparent commands to make the job somewhat less time intensive.

Look up the transparent command reference in the help file. This gives a list of the transparent commands. In your case I would suggest using the 'PO or 'PN transparent commands to draw plines to connect your points. I assume you are doing this for breakline data. 'PO allows you to select a POINT OBJECT within your pline command (or perhaps 3d pline). Yes you still would select them one by one, but this allows you to click on any part of the point object rather than having to snap to the "node" of the points. 'PN allows you to connect the points by typing the POINT NUMBER. If you have a string of points consecutively numbered you are able to use a dash to connect the entire series of points, therefore if you have points 1 thru 35 which are, for instance, your right edge of pavement you can initiate the 'PN transparent command within your pline command and then type "1-35" and it will connect them all. These points would have to be consecutively numbered though. To make it easier you might consider renumbering your points so that they were all consecutive. I believe you can use a comma as well to connect numbers that are not consecutive. This may be an option.

the 'PN transparent command within your pline command and then type "1-35" and it will connect them all. These points would have to be consecutively numbered though. To make it easier you might consider renumbering your points so that they were all consecutive

This was exactly what i wanted.I knew you could call points by numbers but i wondered if you could connect consecutive points.The PN can be utilized under any command?Cause i could only use it so far with the line command under the pop down menu.

I'm not sure if you can use it under any command. All I can say is throw it in whenever you think it would be useful and see what happens.:wink:

So far its working great.thanx a lot.

Another important thing bothering me is when i want to remain in a command and change origin point.For example i connect line 1-30 and then i want to resume the line command from another point without pressing return,and then repeat last action.How do you do that?

sorry i didnt describe it as i should.I mean if i'm connecting lines,and i want to start from a new point,how do i do it without exiting the command?

eg if i join points 1-3,and then i want to join points 5 and 6,then 10 and 12,etc...

Good question. I have no idea. Never tried it. You might have to search around for that answer. I'll play around with it when I get the chance. Let us know what you find out.

I will,but before i do i have yet anothe question.If i exit such a command,and then hit returnor right click to repeat,it stats with the original command without the transparent being active.

For example if i select line->lines by point range and use the command till i exit,then if i repeat it will only start with a pure line,so i got to select it via menu,or toolbar,or right 'pn...

• 1 year later...