making a line at a relitive angle????

on4now4

i know i have done this before but i haven used cand in so many years so i forgot how. say i make a line any length at angle 0 then i make another line at angle 140 from that easy enough. then i make a line at angle 135 from that how do i tell it i want the line to be at 135 from the previous line and not 135 from the standard 0 mark? thanks

1. You could set your polar tracking, (in polar tracking settings) "Relative to last Segment" but the problem with that is you can't be at the end of the line or it won't see the line segment angle so you'll have to double the line length and start your line at the midpoint, then trim it back.

tracking1.JPG

2. You could enter the absolute angle of 95.

3. A better option since you have 2010 is just draw your three lines at any angle you wish and just add a couple angle constraints later. This is how I would do it.

constrained.JPG

KC

something like this

cadquestion.png

only i just clicked to make it so its not the exact angle. and i think what you are describing is correct but i do not understand it lol sry. also although i have 2010 at home i need to know how to do it on 2008 what i use at school.

p.s. ignore the circles

Another way to get the same result:

Command: line

Specify first point: 10,10

Specify next point or [undo]: @10

Specify next point or [Close/Undo]: @10

KC

Another way to get the same result:

Command: line

Specify first point: 10,10

Specify next point or [Close/Undo]: @10

KC

this is what i was origionally trying to do but how do you figure out what that last angle is? is there an equation. am i just missing something that should be obvious?

this is what i was origionally trying to do but how do you figure out what that last angle is? is there an equation. am i just missing something that should be obvious?

Some Autocad things doesn't change through versions.You'll figure out if you do some readings on "absolute and relative coordinates".

It's really just addition and subtraction. AutoCad treats angles as Counter-Clockwise=Pos and Clockwise=Neg... So,

First angle of 140

180 - 140 = +40

Second Angle 135

135+40 = 175

So, You can see on the compass that -5 is -180 from 175.

You could have also used +355 instead of -5. It's the same thing.

degrees-360.jpg

It's handy to have a compass and a calculator if your working with a lot of angles.

KC

KC, first I heard, "It's handy to have a compass.."

I'll have to put one on my wish list.

I had great difficulty first understanding the counter clockwise "thingy."

Now, I never give it a thought. I do see many drawings detailed wrong, clockwise degrees notations. Ugh.