Problem with letter C and V in AutoCAD

pkoper

Hello,

When I use AutoCAD I have problems, the problem is when I want to type the commands copy or circle or anything with the letter c in it. The c does not show in the command line.

When I'm in Outlook then the letters work fine, so it is not the keyboard thats sure. Also when I use Control + V and Control + C in AutoCAD it works fine.

I have ask some collegues and no one around here never seen an issue like this one.

Maybe you guys could help me out! That would be great.

Regard,

Peter

The first thing I'd do is swap out keyboards and test. Does the replacement keyboard exhibit the same problem? Yes/No/I don't have a second keyboard?

I suppose you could run the REPAIR option and see if that will fix the problem. I would not do an uninstall/reinstall.

Have you been doing any customization of the CUI?

I quess i forgot to mention I'm using AutoCAD lt.

Quess its wrong on my profile also.

Repair Command does not work.

I have not been customizing the CUI.

You might want to 1) change your profile or 2) mention in your threads you are using LT and not the full version.

You have already tried the REPAIR option?

Have you used any custom macros?

Yes sorry bout that.

The letters C and V is now already working again. I have no idea how, maybe it was just one drawing with the problem.

Strange...

Thanks for replying!

Regards,

Peter

Any time any thing funky like that starts, and I know this is the first thing the IT guys run to, but seriously...if it all starts acting flaky...letters won't work, video is having some aberration you've never seen before...do a cold reboot. Not a restart, but power it completely down, go get a cup of coffee, and come back. Ninety percent of weirdness will be fixed that way.

Any time any thing funky like that starts' date=' and I know this is the first thing the IT guys run to, but seriously...if it all starts acting flaky...letters won't work, video is having some aberration you've never seen before...do a cold reboot. Not a restart, but power it completely down, go get a cup of coffee, and come back. Ninety percent of weirdness will be fixed that way.[/quote']

Yup, that'll give the cockroach under the C+V keys time to escape.:lol:

• 6 years later...

I know this is a reply to a very old thread but the same thing has just happened to me. In the middle of typing in commands the letter C stopped working in AutoCAD. A quick check revealed that V and H had also stopped working. So I opened a new email and started typing - no problems with C, V and H. Went back to AutoCAD but they still weren't working. Restarting AutoCAD fixed the problem but it was a very strange glitch. So I'm just posting this to let you know you're not going mad.

• 1 year later...
On 4/23/2018 at 6:02 PM, GTilley said:

I know this is a reply to a very old thread but the same thing has just happened to me. In the middle of typing in commands the letter C stopped working in AutoCAD. A quick check revealed that V and H had also stopped working. So I opened a new email and started typing - no problems with C, V and H. Went back to AutoCAD but they still weren't working. Restarting AutoCAD fixed the problem but it was a very strange glitch. So I'm just posting this to let you know you're not going mad.

same here, I just had an issue in a drawing with the letters C, V, and H.  I was editing an MTEXT object.  The funny thing is that C worked everywhere else on my computer, including this post.  It even worked when I used commands, like c for copy, or control C to copy... Weird.

On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2011 at 4:22 AM, Dana W said:
Jack_O said:
Any time any thing funky like that starts' date=' and I know this is the first thing the IT guys run to, but seriously...if it all starts acting flaky...letters won't work, video is having some aberration you've never seen before...do a cold reboot. Not a restart, but power it completely down, go get a cup of coffee, and come back. Ninety percent of weirdness will be fixed that way.[/quote']

Yup, that'll give the cockroach under the C+V keys time to escape.:lol:

That reminds me of an old office prank we used to do.

There's this USB device you can buy on amazon.  You plug it into the back of your coworkers computer and it will being producing random/strange sounds.  like chirping, knocking, beeping, etc.. 

It works on almost everyone especially if they're not very tech savvy.  lol.

The funniest part is when they actually call IT for help.

ChriS

• 2 years later...

Hi everyone, just another example of this odd issue: 

I use AutoCAD every day and this morning the C, V and H keys weren't able to be typed into the command prompt. Autocad was still recognising the keys if I used them in shortcuts, I just couldn't use commands (e.g. circle).

Restarting autocad fixed it fine for me though.

• 8 months later...

I am glad to see that this is not just something that is occurring to me.

I experience this same thing from time to time;  I am guessing that I have seen it at lease a dozen times over the last few years.  (This is the first time I took the time to do a search and see if others experience this, apparent they do!)  

I have found that the issue seems to to specific to an AutoCAD session;  I frequently run multiple sessions, and the problem appears in only one (though if I have multiple drawings open in that session, the issue is apparent in all of them).

Because of this, it is apparent that closing the session and starting a new one fixes the issue.

• 1 year later...
On 12/22/2011 at 11:35 AM, pkoper said:

Hello,

When I use AutoCAD I have problems, the problem is when I want to type the commands copy or circle or anything with the letter c in it. The c does not show in the command line.

When I'm in Outlook then the letters work fine, so it is not the keyboard thats sure. Also when I use Control + V and Control + C in AutoCAD it works fine.

I have ask some collegues and no one around here never seen an issue like this one.

Maybe you guys could help me out! That would be great.

Regard,

Peter

On 9/6/2022 at 7:58 PM, Eric Y said:

I am glad to see that this is not just something that is occurring to me.

I experience this same thing from time to time;  I am guessing that I have seen it at lease a dozen times over the last few years.  (This is the first time I took the time to do a search and see if others experience this, apparent they do!)  

I have found that the issue seems to to specific to an AutoCAD session;  I frequently run multiple sessions, and the problem appears in only one (though if I have multiple drawings open in that session, the issue is apparent in all of them).

Because of this, it is apparent that closing the session and starting a new one fixes the issue.

This happened to me a couple times before, I knew it had something to do with F-Lock, that I must've accidently enabled. so I tried a bunch of keyboard shortcuts to disable it, and it finally worked but I didn't know what worked, as I was trying so many random keys. so I went back and tried to lock the keys again,  and I successfully locked and unlocked the keys by pressing Esc key While holding down Ctrl key. May be for some older keyboards it works by Pressing Fn + Esc keys