Home Computer Licence Option

jl9r

Hi Folks

My company bought Inventor 2011 when first out and a 1 year subscription. I found out about being able to install the software on my home computer using the same licence so I could work from home. I have since upgraded to 2012 (subscription upgrade) and did the same on my home computer.

My question is - I am about to change my home computer, so can I just install my 2012 version using the same licence key? I am out of subscription now so will it let me do it?

Thanks for any help anyone can give before I just go ahead and try it.

John

You are permitted two activations of a license. (only one running at a time)

The new computer will require a new activation code.

I think you can use the License Transfer Utility (assuming your old computer is still working), but I have never done that so I don't know the specifics.

If that doesn't work - you will have to contact Autodesk since you have already activated the license twice.

Thanks JD.

I have looked at the LTU but do not know (or cannot find out) enough about it to know how this would work from the home computer. I do not want to risk it affecting my work computer as well.

Does anyone know the phone number to contact Autodesk from the UK?

Installing it on the new secondary laptop will only require use of the license transfer utility. It is not another license. AutoDesk updates your registration online. AutoDesk does nothing to prevent you from using the software on your old computer either, other than telling you not to, in the Terms of Service agreement.

In fact, the last time I did it I only had to enter my original serial number off the original CD/DVD box and I was good to go, since the product was already registered. the license transfer took place as it happened.

For any software company to charge us for a new license simply because we need a new compute borders on a criminal activity.

Thanks Dana - I will try to just install it tonight and see what happens.

I think I need to learn more about the LTU though, as I said before, I do not know what happens to my primary work computer if I transfer my licence from my home computer?

Thanks Dana - I will try to just install it tonight and see what happens.

I think I need to learn more about the LTU though, as I said before, I do not know what happens to my primary work computer if I transfer my licence from my home computer?

Nothing happens to it. I thought you already had installed on one secondary laptop and that's what you were replacing? In that case, there is no effect on the primary license. You are only transferring the secondary license.

I am still running 2009 and I have replaced both my primary computer, and my secondary laptop twice since I bought it, with nothing happening to me at all. No black helicopters, no waterboarding, no being forced to listen to BBC America for two weeks straight, nothing.:P:rofl:

I had problems with my work computer a few years ago and wound up installing AutoCAD 3 times before IT got the computer right. Autodesk did call to ask what was going on, I explained it to them, and that was that.

I install on a laptop (I have a stand alone license) without ever using the license transfer software. Never have any problems with that either. I haven't gone through the home use procedure which is different from the allowed installing on a second machine that won't be used at the same time. I think you have to be on Subscription to get the home use permission.

I installed it on the new computer last night and wayhey, it just accepted the installation no probs with the same serial number :D

Thanks to everyone for your help and comments.

I used the Licence Transfer between machines at work and home, once you have done it a few time it's second nature. Clad you found a solution :)

I think you have to be on Subscription to get the home use permission.
we are no longer on subscription so I may well be talking rubbish, but the home use of AutoCAD is (was) very different in the UK to that in the USA.