Library Drawings - Read Only?

Sewell1977

Hello all,

So we have a library of parts, as well as full assemblies in a drive accessible by ANYONE in the company. I have been trying to talk them into making the library drawings as Read Only, but noone sems to want to do that. Can anyone elaborate as to why in the world you wouldn't want to make them Read Only??

If they are a read only to all the users then no one can edit / and or change the master blocks. this way it makes the company more efficient as you dont have to keep re-reviewing the same info every time. That will save the company money and time.

That is how I would pitch the idea.

How hard is it to do a Save As.... From a read only file? That should be standard procedure. It is in my office.

Agreed. In my office, we have two checks before a library block can be changed. One for content (the way it looks on paper) and one for CAD standards.

As an alternative to setting all files to read only, it sounds like you are on a network its pretty easy to set the directory to read only as part of user permissions RWA this way some staff can still have read/write/delete access to dwgs

I pitched the idea of having a Read Only folder of standard blocks, with a Holding Tank folder for parts waiting approval from the supervisor or person in charge of the task. We are running '12 and up in our department, but sales uses '07 to do stuff, and it deives me bonkers. I want them to use True View or 360 but they won't, and I have no control over it.