Customizing the Ribbon or Toolbars

dave78

Good afternoon everyone,

I'm new to the forums here so please forgive me if I have this in the wrong section. I am looking for a comprehensive tutorial on how to make a custom toolbar or ribbon tab. I don't know which one would be better suited for what I am trying to accomplish.

Long story short I'm in the MEP field. What I am trying to accomplish is a custom interface for our drafters to easily insert blocks, and or symbols in their drawings. I have seen how to add custom tabs and panels to the ribbon, but these are all stock CAD items.

Again, thanks for the insight on the topic, and appreciate hearing everyone's ideas on how to move forward.:)

Like BlackBox I would also favour Tool Palettes, they would appear to suit your purposes best. Michael Beall has covered a lot on Tool Palettes in the Michael's Corner section on this site and he has a lot of examples and tips on what to do and what not to do. Have a look there and see what you can find. Feel free to come back if you get stuck.

Like above tool palletes took over from older slide methods but I still use them you can also do custom lisp & dcl image arrays. If you use DCL you can have sub sub to choose from similar to Tool Palletes.

CADARC.jpg

Kerbs.jpg

I too still have a pipe fitting utility that is slide-based; it was dreadfully slow in precious releases, but has acceptable performance now that I'm on current version and new computer, OS, etc.

My only real issue with slide-based tools is the amount of extra time it takes to properly setup, and maintain. If slide generation were able to be automated & chached during dialog Show() event, perhaps I'd be more inclined to use them in my work.

For this specific tool, we now have Pressure Pipe Networks, so that will have to be something I look into when the next need arises.

Cheers

Using dcl I have a series of generic pick screens 2x2 3x3 4x3 etc and these populate using images its fairly easy to make the images but you do end up with a lot some where. The lisp just uses a list for images and command processing. Like you say Blackbox it comes down to how customised you really want it.