Radial Dimension Display - Circle at arrow head...

lamensterms

Hi guys,

Please see image below for explanation..

Radius Dimension Display.jpg

I would like to be able to remove the circle (leader?) that appears when creating Radial Dimensions, does anyone know of an option to remove this from the dimstyle?

Or any other method?

Thanks a lot for any help.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lamensterms

• Dadgad

Hey, I just learned something!

Grab the radial dimension grip and drag it around in a clockwise or a counter clockwise direction by 360 degrees, and it will switch to the other look.

These two radial dimensions are the same, but BEST FIT has been turned off on the one on the right. You can do that in the dimension style manager, as shown on the FIT tab.

turn off best fit in your dimension style.JPG

turn off best fit in dim style.JPG

Edited by Dadgad

Hi Dadgad,

Thanks for the reply. Are you referring to the grip at the text, arrow head or center of arc? From my experience, if the text grip is inside the circle/arc; then the dimension will be displayed without the circular leader (which I am trying to remove). I would like to drag the text outside the arc, but not have the circle leader displayed.

It pretty hard to explain actually.

Hi Dadgad,

Thanks for the reply. Are you referring to the grip at the text, arrow head or center of arc? From my experience, if the text grip is inside the circle/arc; then the dimension will be displayed without the circular leader (which I am trying to remove). I would like to drag the text outside the arc, but not have the circle leader displayed.

No, you have explained it just fine.

If you are looking for default behavior, try making the change in my last screenshot,

OR use the GRIP drop down menu and select MOVE TEXT ONLY.

Previously I was talking about the grip at the text, where the drop down grip menu hides, but when you rotate it around, you need to stay INSIDE of the radius length, or it will display the circle.

Hi Dadgad,

Sorry about the run around/wild goose chase, I figured it out.

Set your FIT settings as shown in this new screenshot, so that you can drag the text back past the arc center without screwing anything up.

lamentstern this is what you want.JPG

Yes, that's exactly what I mean, Dadgad.

The only issue with this config is that it limits the ability to set the location of the dimension text. The location of the dim text is limited to a point perpendicular to the arrow head location (if you follow me).

Do you know of any way around this?

Yes, that's exactly what I mean, Dadgad.

The only issue with this config is that it limits the ability to set the location of the dimension text. The location of the dim text is limited to a point perpendicular to the arrow head location (if you follow me).

Do you know of any way around this?

Are you hoping to make it look more Pro Steely?

Try as shown in the screenshot.

lamenstern bingo.jpg

Drawing1.dwg

Edited by Dadgad
  • Like 1

Haha, yep. Please ignore how the circle is displayed at the arrow head, just trying to show how I would like to be able to rotate the dimension.

---------edit-----------

DIM%20RAD_zpsrtoxp3k9.gif

Edited by lamensterms

I doubt it can get any closer than this. I have suppressed EXT LINE 1 (which is the circle), on the LINES tab, as shown in the screenshot,

and changed the FIT tab to be for Best Fit, as shown in the other screen shot.

If you drag the end of the dimension line, bear in mind that it will need to cross the arc center point, to which it is anchored, to look like this.

Drawing1.dwg

suppress extension line 1 lamentsterms.JPG

lamentsterms now were getting somewhere.JPG

Edited by Dadgad

Uhoh... is that any better?

It's displaying fine on my end. What method do use use to attach GIFs?

It is showing up fine now. I have never posted a GIF, so not sure. :)

Did you change something, as when I scrolled back down to your post it was as expected?

It is showing up fine now. I have never posted a GIF, so not sure. :)

Did you change something, as when I scrolled back down to your post it was as expected?

Haha, yep I changed a few things. It's a bit awkward attaching GIFs, it seems Cadtutor does not support them, so I had to host it on Photobucket. It was the privacy settings on Photobucket that were stuffing me up. Does the below GIF appear ok?

Regarding the dimensioning... you got it almost spot on. Please see attached GIF for clarification.

DimRadius%20Good_zpspksboija.gif

Suppressing the extension line was the key. The 'text placement' option was locking the dimension line, making it non-rotatable.

Thanks for the help with that one Dadgad.

Happy to help, and glad you are back on the tracks. :beer:

But curious, because on my laptop it is behaving just like in your GIF, but without needing to change that FIT setting?

Just curious, did you try opening the drawing I attached previously (in post #15) with that dimstyle defined in it?

I am curious what it will do on your machine?

Hi again,l

I just tested your drawings and use the dimstyle "1" and it performed the same as the first part of the GIF demonstration. With 'text placement' set "Over dimension line, with leader" the rotational position of the dimension is fixed to a point perpendicular to the point picked on the arc. You say on your machine, with that option, you are able to rotated the dimension during placement (as per the second part of the GIF?

Also, what is the significance of Radial style? How was that created? It is like a style within a style.

Dimstyle Dialogue.png