Options for sharing paper space but not model space?

Zach571

I am the whole CAD dept and all our drawings are used in house, so sharing the complete file is never an issue. I have a project with multiple parts put into different layouts that all come together to make one final product. Is there a way to save the paper space for sending out for quotes/manufacture without sharing the model space as well??

I searched but could not find an answer other than maybe .DWF publishing but I have only AutoCAD 2015 LT. Links to a tutorial would be much appreciated.

Zach571

I am the whole CAD dept and all our drawings are used in house, so sharing the complete file is never an issue. I have a project with multiple parts put into different layouts that all come together to make one final product. Is there a way to save the paper space for sending out for quotes/manufacture without sharing the model space as well??

I searched but could not find an answer other than maybe .DWF publishing but I have only AutoCAD 2015 LT. Links to a tutorial would be much appreciated.

Two easy ways that come to mind, are to either disable your Viewport(s) by setting the On property == No, and print those to PDF, etc. or you can simply WBLOCK a selection of entities on unlocked layers that you do wish to share in the resultant Block.

Cheers

I should have specified, I'm looking to share these electronically. I would like the layouts to all be in one file and in the same order they are. I have exported to PDF regularly but never multiple layouts, can they be exported all in one PDF file or will there be a separate file for each (which I'm trying to avoid)?

Thanks,

Zach571

Publish to PDF will allow you to make a multi-page PDF. Familiarize yourself with the publish command and come back here for answers to anything you can't figure out.

I should have specified, I'm looking to share these electronically. I would like the layouts to all be in one file and in the same order they are. I have exported to PDF regularly but never multiple layouts, can they be exported all in one PDF file or will there be a separate file for each (which I'm trying to avoid)?

If using 2009+ version, skip Export to PDF altogether and instead simply use the Autopublish mechanism. :thumbsup:

This may be of use; just be sure to set 'Type' = Multi-sheet file instead of what's listed at this post:

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?92394-Exporting-to-PDF-for-beginner-!&p=632138&viewfull=1#post632138

Publish to PDF will allow you to make a multi-page PDF. Familiarize yourself with the publish command and come back here for answers to anything you can't figure out.

I'd skip PUBLISH in favor of Autopublish mechanism, as it produces the same result in less time. :thumbsup:

It still uses publish, just automated.

What if the automation is not wanted/needed?

Great question, Rob!

If you claim were based in truth, then there is no additional automation to be wanted/needed... PUBLISH would produce same result in same amount of time, no?

As it happens, the Autopublish mechanism is different than the Publish mechanism. Even when using a macro to call -PUBLISH/-PLOT, the macro still takes substantially longer to produce resultant PDF, as demonstrated here:

FWIW -

I just did a quick comparison, using your macro vs Autopublish... With the same named Page Setup (DWG To PDF) on a single Layout drawing (large, +2 MB), the macro took a whopping 63 seconds to produce the resultant PDF, whereas Autopublish took only 6 seconds for same, and my workstation isn't exactly lacking. Haha :beer:

Average small-medium size drawings, usually take 1-2 seconds to produce PDF via Autopublish on my workstation, and it's done when I hit SAVE*; when I need a subset of drawings to sendout, I just grab the PDFs I need, and done.

... Hence my pointing out the faster resultant digitial file time in the first place. :thumbsup:

Cheers

Forgot to add - I too do not use Autopublish for each-and-every-single drawing.

Initially, I used this to quickly enable/disable:

(defun c:APP ()
 (princ "\nAUTOMATICPUB: ")
 (setvar 'automaticpub (abs (1- (getvar 'automaticpub))))
)

The only real issue that I have with the native Autopublish mechanism, is that it isn't smart enough to know the difference between exhibit/sheet drawings that I do want to produce PDF at SAVE*, and model drawings (those used for DREF/XREF only) that I do not, which is why I ultimately developed this a few years ago, to rectify this inherent flaw.

Cheers

Truth? So what I said is wrong?

Who said anything about a macro or how long it takes? I didn't.

It may be hard for you to accept, but I try to teach people the process first instead of giving them the easy button. Then, after they get the process, give them the automation, so that they can tailor it to their needs.

Truth? So what I said is wrong?

Who said anything about a macro or how long it takes? I didn't.

Not trying to argue with you, Rob... But respectfully, yes, your statement is factually inaccurate. I don't believe that you said it to mislead anyone, obviously.

I've been using the Autopublish mechanism since 2009 version; for each version that offers any plot related changes, I go back and test each-and-every-single one to get a performance baseline, and thus far, Autopublish wins every time, and all without any customizations beyond that which is provided natively.

Yes, I did go a step further personally, and develop an app to even further refine efficiency (I don't see the point in producing PDFs for DREF/XREF-only drawings; just me), but this isn't necessary to confirm performance gains with this native feature/functionality.

It may be hard for you to accept, but I try to teach people the process first instead of giving them the easy button. Then, after they get the process, give them the automation, so that they can tailor it to their needs.

Again, the Autopublish mechanism is an in-built feature, initially released back in 2009, with the introduction of the PUBLISHCOLLATE system variable.

You like PUBLISH, and that's perfectly fine, Rob. I happen to know a more efficient way to yield the same result, using native functionality, which just happens to produce the desired digital file at drawing SAVE* or CLOSE (that's how Autodesk designed it; not my choice).

If native functionality is an 'easy button' in your definition, then that's your choice... I see it as an opportunity to help make another more productive, which just might benefit them professionally, their production capability, and their employer's profitability, which is what my salary, and bonus checks are based on. :thumbsup:

Cheers

It certainly looks like the PDF publish options dialog box but I'll have to take your word for it as I am not familiar with the inner workings of it. I still stand by everything else I said.

Off topic comments removed :nono:, I friendly forum should be kept that way. The comments will be reviewed.