Tool Pallet Update

Tahano54

First, thanks in advance for any teaching or help.

Background, small company that does civil, engineering and arch. Lately we have developed a large number of blocks in a effort to become more standardized and productive. Some of theses blocks have issues that need to be corrected and/or changed. At this time we're using Google Drive to share files but looking at a Cloud Drive(?). We're all using Acad 2010. Now to the issue at hand.

As I am understanding at this time, to be consistent and update any changes to the blocks across all users, (3 consistent and 2 other computers for sometimes, 4 local and 1 across the country)

1. We all need to be using the same profile.

This would be different then Workspace? 1 uses ribbons, I use toolbars, some custom, another uses all default settings with very few changes.

2. We have a folder on google at Autocad\Pallets and then divided into Arch, Calls, Civil, Sheet, Structural and Survey, each containing the blocks that pertain to that discipline.

So, if I set a default path to Google Drive\Autocad\Pallets in options, export all the pallet files to this location, then as I or another correct, make changes, and maybe re-export(?) to this location others will see the changes on next boot?

Note: one of the issues seems to be w/ Google drive is that the default location is always C:\Users\"somebody"\Google Drive so drawing that references some other file(image, xref) looses path between users.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

My understanding from Tool Palettes is that you need to re-import them to see the changes, but I wouldn't be surprised if I have gotten that wrong.

can you map your Google Drive to a letter? Then you could perhaps map their google drive to the same letter on all machines and that way work-around the difereng file-structures.

Perhaps you can use Design Center instead to pick blocks?

Changes to tool palettes are saved on close. They are re-loaded on open.

I recommend that you have an offline location to build your palettes, then lock them and copy the files to the server path for your teams use.

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldnt use Google Drive as the reference for Autocad. I would make a copy on each users machine. You can do this fairly easy with a Robocopy.bat file.

You dont need the same profile, you just need everyone to have the same file locations set.

For Tool Palettes:

Set everything on the local machine. Create everything as you would normally.

Do not export. There is no need to. Copy the entire Tool Palette folder onto the Google Drive.

Get others to copy that folder or set it up to do it automatically.

With the File Locations paths set, it will read the Tool Palette files and populate accordingly.

For the C:\Users\"somebody"\Google Drive Pathing issue:

Use this C:\Users\%USERNAME%\Google Drive

It will fill in the username with whoever is logged in.

Thanks to everyone for all the input. Haven't tried it yet. I want to be sure we're all in agreement first. Your conclusion, Bill, is the one that I thought would work.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

In order to have the TPs work properly for each user it is vital that the drive path is the same.

Once, you have copied the items onto each computer it would be advisable to map that location as a common drive letter and path. For example, C:\Users\%USERNAME%\Google Drive\toolpalettes\ would be T:\

In order to map a local folder as a network folder you need to share it out. A google search will show you how to do this.

The other important piece is that the tool palettes are created with the same setup.

We have a setup here with about 15 different COMPANY tool palettes and a couple of buttons that trigger a lisp that allow you to toggle between them and the local user tool palette. For example...

(defun C:TLP ()
 (vla-put-ToolPalettePath (vla-get-Files (vla-get-Preferences (vlax-get-acad-object))) (strcat (getvar "ROAMABLEROOTPREFIX") "Support\\ToolPalette"))
)

(defun C:TLP_annotation ()
 (command 
   "*_TOOLPALETTEPATH"
   "V:\\AutoCAD\\palettes\\annotation")
)

(defun C:TLP_cmu ()
 (command 
   "*_TOOLPALETTEPATH"
   "V:\\AutoCAD\\palettes\\cmu")
)

So TLP will switch your palette to your local one and the other options toggle it to the 'NETWORK' locations. Works beautifully.