Viewport scale - metric

I know how to use the Viewport scale for imperial drawings, but working in metric is really new for me.

Im having problems understanding what the ratios are meaning for Viewport scales.

Imperial is easy say for example your using 1/4"=1'-0, you know that on paper 1/4" = 1'-0. But what about Metric, whats the other unit its comparing too?

Say I was using milimeters as my drawing units, whats the other unit its comparing it too? for eg 1:4

Think of it as a fraction, or a decimal, which is all it is.

1/4"=1' would be 1/48, right?

If you want 1mm to repesent 1 meter then use 1:1000.

the way I read it out is "1:1000 means that 1mm on the paper is 1000mm in real life".

That doesn't depend on what unit you are using. 1:1000 also means that 1 meter on the paper is 1000 meters in real life.

As long as you stick with the same unit on both sides of the colon, you'll be fine.

That is correct, Tiger. A ratio without units is understood to be the same on both sides. If you were to scale the drawing, you could use any unit of measurement. If it were different units on each side, they would have to be specified.

Unfortunately one cannot change paperspace units to be anything other than millimeters or inches. One can change the quantity of paperspace units, as well as modelspace units.

The scale ratio(s) that come in the can is nn paperspace unit(s) equals nn Modelspace unit(s).

Woooooooow thanks, i think I get it. I guess the problem is that I never used an engineering ruler and Ive never did autocad in metric before.

So if the units are not specified, the units are the same on both sides!

and for the ratio to 1:whatever

on paper, 1 of the unit that your using to draw = the multiplication of the right side

Please say I got it or else im going to cry!!!! lol

:unsure:

That is correct, Tiger. A ratio without units is understood to be the same on both sides. If you were to scale the drawing, you could use any unit of measurement. If it were different units on each side, they would have to be specified.

on paper, 1 of the unit that your using to draw = the multiplication of the right side

:unsure:

I would not have expressed it like that, but you do have it. As to the ratios, the left numeric is paperspace, usually 1 (one) then the colon, then a numeric representing how many modelspace units fit into one of your paperspace unit(s).

For instance, if both model and paper units are millimeters, then 1:100 means 1 mm on paper = 100 mm of your drawing in modelspace. So, on paper 100 mm of your drawing will be 1 mm long.

You can "Specify" or "Not Specify" all day long, but your paper and model units will be what they are set to be. You can make up your own custom scales if you like. "One MM:100 MM" for instance. Just assign the correct units when the dialog asks for them. You'll find it in the Edit Scale List dialog from your Options.

How many times have you heard this, "It's not a ruler."?

The fact that a scale is made with 1:600 suggests that there is a need for it.

Two things remark we would never do a 1:600 plan as shown on your image displaying a ruler. Mine has 1:100 1:25 1:125 1:50

1:75 1:20

However, if you were in the land of Imperial scales, 1:600 is 1 inch to 50 feet.

It could have its uses. :D

I think it was because they could only come up with 11 scales, and didn't know what else to do with the other end of the 1:300 one. ;)

Id just wanna take the time to thank everyone.

Thank you very much, you guys have been very helpful!

Have a great weekend. :D

The 1:1 side can be a ruler. >