Most of drawing content disappeared

Kurpulio

Hello, i got this problem

I used this drawing, and suddenly most of its content disappeared

On the file's preview picture in explorer it still shows the full content (6 white rectangles are 6 images of drawings)

image.png.5d5246e56db9b98fd9130bdb1f5dd1e5.png

But when i open it, it only shows 1 old one on the left

image.png.72febbcf1f03505465b1afe4f343ef1b.png

I uploaded the drawing here

https://easyupload.io/xt3qd7

https://filebin.net/qhl4svr2pxffyz1v

Anyone has any idea what could have happened, and if its maybe possible to restore it?

I've seen this happen before. If you use the Undo command while in the block editor, it can wipe out most or all of your drawing. Other bugs are possible, of course.

The best remedy is to rename your .BAK file as a .DWG and hope that you didn't save after this incident. If possible, you can restore the file from a system backup; you may have to do some work over, but that's better than starting from scratch.

Thanks. I tried rename the .bak, but it was the same also.

Whats super strange is that based on file size it should contain everything

I mean its 9+ MB, while an older version of the drawing is 3MB, an it appears to have more content

Is it possible its in the file but somehow hidden?

Edited by Kurpulio

You should see if the most recent Autosave file has what you are looking for.
Check your File support path in Options for your Autosave location and hope it is more recent than the .bak file.
Rename the extension of the autosave file to .dwg and you will see.

Recover command should work.  But you can manually check for files.  By default, the autosave file location is in appdata/local/temp on your user account.

You can confirm the location in options, automatic safe file location.

The default looks something like...

C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\Temp\

And also remember if you turn layers OFF or freeze them in block editor (either on purpose or unintentionally) they will remain in that state when you exit the block editor.

That could explain the missing content as well.

-Chris

4 hours ago, steven-g said:

Try the 'RECOVER' command worked for me 🙂 so that stuff must have been somewhere.elektronika1(1).dwg
9.61 MB · 1 download

Wait, how does that work on a different computer?😵  I just came up baffled.  Wherever the stuff was must have been inside the dwg file.

8 hours ago, Dana W said:

Wait, how does that work on a different computer?😵  I just came up baffled.  Wherever the stuff was must have been inside the dwg file.

Yeah baffled me too. That stuff isn't 'hidden' anywhere in the original file (well it obviously is) but not off in space or on frozen layers.

On 10/27/2020 at 2:13 AM, steven-g said:

Yeah baffled me too. That stuff isn't 'hidden' anywhere in the original file (well it obviously is) but not off in space or on frozen layers.

Maybe something in the original file got corrupted and was jambing up in a REGEN between "blank the screen" and "refresh the screen".

I've seen similar back in my interactive business applications* programming days.

*translated to APPS for you millenials.😄

Edited by Dana W
  • Funny 1

On 10/29/2020 at 12:30 PM, steven-g said:

@Dana W

Hehe I remember the days when people talked in full sentences and not 3 and 4 letter abreviations LOL 😉

IDK what yr saying bc IDK how to read punctuation.

• Funny 1

• 1 year later...