AutoCAD Practice for Beginners.

jiklomiki83

I am going into my last year of ChemE, and I have an opportunity to get some experience doing some basic editing and plotting in AutoCAD for a wastewater plant. I have taken a pretty strong interest in this field in the past couple semesters, so I am very excited. The only problem however is that my AutoCAD experience is very limited. in my coursework I certainly have experience with reading PFDs and P&IDs, but I am worried my abilities to use the package. I am not afraid to learn - I believe I have the resources and the aptitude - however im worried about the ethics of telling said employer that I am comfortable with AutoCAD.

So my question is, to those in civil/water resources should I be confident in myself in being able to learn the packages quickly? the employer is someone who I do not want to burn a bridge with.

Thanks in advance.

Honesty is always the best policy.  Tell the employer you have limited experience with AutoCAD but that you have confidence you can get up to speed quickly.  Ask for an agreed upon trial period in which to prove yourself.  You should also emphasis your experience in reading and understanding PFD's and P&ID's.  The employer will appreciate your honesty.  In the meantime, practice, practice, practice.

• Like 1

I was kinda wondering what came of this (?)

Being able to read a drawing and make a drawing that is correct are two different things.

I once tried to fix my sewage system where it had failed and after not being able to get it to work correctly called a plumber. Needless to say I had placed a "tee" where I should have had a "Y" . 

It does go down hill but it doesn't take corners very well.

You can't learn AutoCad on the fly.

Edited by Berzerker

I learned AutoCAD back when AutoDesk did not offer training and "experts" could be counted on one hand.  And yes, dinosaurs could be seen outside the window of my cave at the time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RobDraw said:

I beg to differ. I've met quite a few people that learned "on the job".

This only applies if your boss can wait for you to learn. If someone is wanting results now then I don't think this approach will work.

I'm sorry but you are mistaken, again. Until you know what the circumstances are, you probably shouldn't make statements like that. I've worked with some very intelligent people that could learn things super fast.

Where I worked we had grad students come in for 3 months to get there work experience quota to come credentialed, they new very basic autocad we had to hold their hand but by the end of the 3 months we were giving them tasks and they were producing good work, obviously the task was appropriate to the skill level but it meant we did not have to do it and another project was completed. Around 50% were asked to stay on with us, the others did comment that they also got jobs as working for us was seen as a high quality employer on their resume. They were like a sponge and just soaked up what they were shown. "people that could learn things super fast."

So if it does not work out at the 1st employer just get up and try again.

• Like 2

Speaking as someone who had to learn Civil 3D "on the fly" (boss didn't want to spring for training), it can be done. You won't be laying out bridges and tunnels after one week, but you can pick up the basics on your own. Of course, it helps to know AutoCAD already.

• Like 1

Started out using Softdesk 8 Civil & Survey running on top of AutoCAD 12, switched to Eagle Point running on top of AutoCAD before tackling AutoCAD Civil 3D many years later.

I've got AutoCAD down pretty good but still muddling along with Civil 3D. Spend more time working in Map 3D.

• 1 year later...

I think you should join AutoCAD Training and tell your employer that you have knowledge of it and currently doing training in AutoCad to upgrade your skills. AutoCAD Training will add value to your resume and also open more job opportunities.

I used mycadsite for preliminary self instruction in an internet cafe, very well designed instruction.  When I took the private 3 day AutoCad Intensive course paid for by my first employer, it was comforting, as I basically learned NOTHING.  Meaning I had been doing a good job with readily available resources.  :beer:  :beard:  13 years later and I still really enjoy it, at age 71.    ;)  Better busy than bored.  :beer:

OK so an old thread and I guess the single posting OP has got it all worked out in the last 14 months. However since the topic came to the top f the pile again, someone else might find it interesting, and in this case, a new graduate wanting confirmation that they will be able to do some basic CAD in their first job..... yes you can.

Employers arn't stupid, A look at the CV will show limited CAD experience but a degree / last year of a degree course shows an ability to learn and they is what they look for. A foolish employer would expect a new graduate to walk in on a Monday morning, draw out a design for a waste water plant, overhaul the company CAD standards and perhaps knock out a few killer LISPS on the lunchbreak. No, they will take you on expecting to make a loss on project fees from you and the supervision required but with the expectation that you will learn, in 3 or 4 months break even with the fees, and within a year be making a profit for them, and then to remember them well, stick about and keep earning them money for the next few years.

When it comes to learning, you can learn which buttons to press quick enough from a book, from a youtube, or from last years graduate looking over your shoulder, that is the easy part. Learning on the job is the only way to do the real learning, how to read an engineers hand writing, what they mean when they say "Just put a thing here for me", company styles, technical terminology for your industry, where blocks and references are saved, what projects are good to borrow from, and even more important in the first job, do you talk to the reception staff, the cleaners, the building management or the Starbucks waitress to get the office gossip.

But....first job, they don't expect you to be a polished superuser, just be polite able to learn and limit yourself to 1 mistake (not repeating the same one over and over), the employer understands the rest.

• Like 1