Set SFSP with script or macro?

pixel8er

Is it possible to set the support file search paths with a script or macro? I know how to do it with lisp but am using AutoCAD LT so looking for other ways...

Its probably buried away in the register so can not use LT maybe excel using macro VBA,  but you will still need to know where to look.

• Like 1

Not directly from LT as @BIGAL has said you would need to start playing in the register, if you are feeling adventurous you could look here

Computer\HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-2061568844-741009360-3626748664-1001\Software\Autodesk\AutoCAD LT\R27\ACADLT-4101:409\Profiles\<<Unnamed Profile>>\General\support

But be aware playing in the register can be dangerous, and is not for the faint hearted.

Thanks @steven-g, yes I'm ok with doing a bit of registry work. 

Wonder if those settings can be set through script, macro, diesel?? Will look into that.

Nope, not in LT. Lt has no links to the outside world other than attext and list to get info out, and datalink which works both ways. Diesel can be a powerful tool and can get quite sofisticated but not to that level I believe that even in Lisp this same feature is performed through editing the register and not internal to AutoCAD itself. LT has all that kind of capability disabled, but it doesn't mean that you can't go about it some other way. And whether you click a button in AutoCAD LT or click a button in the program window next to it in Excel is in my mind no "Biggy" if you get the same end result, though sometimes that does mean clicking several buttons in different windows 😀.

PS Although my first word at the top was "Nope" I do hope you won't give up and hopefully prove me wrong.

Thanks @steven-g 

I'll definitely spend some more time looking around to see what options there are to do this. Ultimately what I'd like is for something automatic that sets the sfsp on drawing open like I've been using previously in the acad.lsp.

The other approach I'll take is to try to make a case for key staff to get full AutoCAD. A quick calculation means that the cost difference between LT and full is the equivalent of about 6 mins per day based on the users charge-out rate. I might get approval for this if I can show that the extra custom lisp tools that can be implemented in full AutoCAD can save 6+ mins per day.

6 minutes your very conservative, just click a "menu" plot layout, watch 20 come out 1 after each other,  stuff I have worked on is like 20 minutes now count in seconds. Once you start automating you will wonder why did not do before. Dynamic blocks auto sizing to fit pick inside rectang a window appears.

The support paths once set why do you need to redo on each start up ?

No idea but looked good The Registry Editor Class (VBA) - ChE Junkie

Edited by BIGAL

Thanks @BIGAL. Yes agreed, 6 minutes is not much time at all. It's the cost difference between full and LT. 6 mins x 5 days = 30 mins per week x 46 weeks = 1380 mins = 23 hours x $100 per hour = $2300.

Like you I think the time saving will be much more per day for hard core users.

I think the automation possible is a no-brainer. It's hard to use LT after so much time working with lisp tools.

I've found the SFSP changing quite a lot. Often got users asking why something wasn't working. After looking their SFSP had changed. I know that one cause was Acrobat updates. Another cause appeared to be if the connection to the server 'glitched' at the exact time that the user was opening AutoCAD then the network SFSPs weren't available so the local default drives were substituted.

Yeah that VBA class sure does look good! Thanks for pointing it out.

On 3/5/2021 at 7:05 PM, pixel8er said:

Thanks @steven-g 

The other approach I'll take is to try to make a case for key staff to get full AutoCAD. A quick calculation means that the cost difference .......

If the cost of AutoCAD is not feasible (and that is why you have LT), you might want to consider an alternative that is less expensive that does offer lisp support, such as BricsCAD, available as a perpetual license for US$960